How long does a turkey take to cook and how long to defrost your turkey questions are answered! Plus we have 3 new ways to cook a turkey you should try.
The biggest question during the holidays is; how long does a turkey take to cook right? You’ve made one before but since it is only once or twice a year we all forget. How about a handy free printable cook time sheet?? I’ve got one for you here so you’ll never ask for help again!
- We shared last week how to cook a moist turkey 4 different ways!
If you’re always cooking your bird in the oven you’re missing out! There are SO many other ways. Who knows, you might find one you and your guests fall in love with this year like:
- A sheet pan turkey takes just 1 hour
- Instant Pot turkey come out super tender
- This is the best smoked turkey you’ll ever make
BUT if you insist on the old fashioned way, we’re here to help! Before you figure out how long it will take, you’ll need to know how long to thaw it so it’s frozen no longer!
- Here is a printable with turkey cook times to keep on hand.
So…how long does it take to cook a 25 lb turkey?
- Based on a 325°F oven, and a fully defrosted bird, we’re talking roughly 15 minutes per pound.
- Timing will vary depending on whether it is stuffed or not.
- If you want to cook a frozen turkey, it will take at least 50 percent longer than the recommended times. I would NOT suggest baking one from frozen ever!
- By the time the middle was to reach the correct safe temperature, the skin would be either burned or incredibly dry.
What is the best pan to cook a turkey?
- I would actually recommend using this upside down turkey cooker
- This Cuisinart turkey pan is second best
Another new way is to deep fry it so the skin is super crispy! Heck, if my air fryer was big enough I would throw it in there. I love crispy skin!