Homemade honey bbq sauce you can make spicy or keep mild. Easy homemade barbecue sauce ingredients like Sweet Baby Ray’s style that takes less than 15 minutes to make. Cheaper than store bought and saves for months in mason jars for later.
Barbecue sauce from scratch is a beloved condiment in the world of cooking. There are countless regional variations to savor. One of the most delightful and versatile among them is homemade honey style. Let us show you how you can make it yourself. (affiliate links present)
Honey BBQ Sauce Homemade
This sweet, smoky, and tangy concoction is not only a staple for grilling enthusiasts but also a kitchen essential that can elevate a wide range of dishes. Let’s dive deep into the world of honey BBQ sauce, exploring its history, ingredients, preparation, and creative uses.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
Barbecue, a cooking method that involves slow-cooking meat over a wood fire, has deep roots in many cultures worldwide. As this cooking tradition spread, so did the various sauces that accompanied it. he first BBQ sauces were relatively simple, often consisting of vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Copycat Kraft Barbecue Sauce
Over time, various regions developed their unique styles, leading to the distinct regional BBQ sauce variations we know today, including Kansas City, Texas, Carolina, and more. Of course there are many tweaks you can make to the base below including adding heat to make it spicy or sweeter with more honey or agave nectar. Typical ingredients used are;
- The star of the show, honey not only adds sweetness but also contributes a natural thickness and a rich, golden color to the sauce.
- The tomato base provides a savory, tangy foundation for the sauce. Many homemade recipes use tomato sauce or ketchup as a starting point.
- White or apple cider vinegar adds acidity and helps balance the sweetness of the honey, providing that characteristic tanginess found in BBQ sauces.
- Worcestershire sauce is an umami rich condiment enhances the sauce’s savory profile and adds a layer of complexity.
- For those seeking a smoky flavor without the hassle of traditional smoking methods, liquid smoke can be added in moderation.
- A medley of spices, including paprika, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt and black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, adds a complexity to the sauce. Smoked paprika is often used for that quintessential BBQ smokiness.
AND then let’s talk about heat. If you do want a sweet and spicy bbq sauce for pulled pork sandwiches you can add a number of different things to make it spicy. The choice is up to you ultimately.
Homemade Honey Barbeque Sauce
How to make this homemade bbq sauce recipe spicy is quite easy but you should taste along the way. A little goes a long way when you add jalapeno powder let’s say. You cannot really tone it down easily if you add too much so go slow with just a little pinch, stir and then taste. Over and over until it is right for your family.
Chili powder or red pepper flakes are in most people’s spice cabinets and those work too. If you want more of an Asian flare you could drop some Sriracha in there and try that too. Adding a bit of chunky texture to it would be great to finely dice up roasted jalapenos instead. The base ingredients for homemade bbq sauce are;
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
There really isn’t a need to heat this beforehand except if you really want to dissolve the sugars to make it super smooth. I prefer it cold on grilled meats or tossed with slow cooker riblets so I don’t bother.
How Long Does Homemade bbq Sauce Last
That depends on how you store it. If it consists of non-perishable ingredients like ketchup, vinegar, sugar, and spices, it can be stored in the refrigerator for an extended period. Under proper refrigeration, in an airtight container it can remain good for up to 1 to 2 months. Here are some creative ways to enjoy this delectable condiment:
- Brush it onto grilled chicken, ribs, pork chops, or even steak during the last few minutes of grilling to create a mouthwatering glaze.
- Pour on top of beef to allow it to soak in with our Crockpot BBQ Beef recipe.
- Use it as a marinade for tofu, tempeh, or vegetables before grilling or roasting.
- Toss after meat is cooked to make something like our air fryer bbq chicken wings for a finger-licking appetizer.
- Spread it on sandwiches, wraps, or paninis for a burst of flavor.
- Mix it with olive oil and vinegar to create a sweet and tangy salad dressing.
- Add it to our no soak baked beans for an extra layer of flavor and sweetness.
- Top a pizza crust with shredded barbecue chicken, red onions, and a drizzle of honey BBQ sauce for a unique pizza experience.
- Roast or grill vegetables and finish them with a brush of honey BBQ sauce for added depth.
Homemade honey BBQ sauce can be made spicy too. Like our Hot Honey Salmon you could add a drizzle of Mike’s hot honey into the mix for added heat with the sweet, smoky, and tangy flavors. With a few simple ingredients and a little creativity, you can create this versatile condiment at home.
Whether you’re baking with it like our BBQ Chicken Thighs in Oven, roasting, or simply dipping, homemade honey BBQ sauce has the power to elevate your culinary creations and delight your taste buds. So, go ahead and explore the world of BBQ sauce from the comfort of your own kitchen, and savor every sweet, savory, and smoky bite.
Before you go I want you to sign up for my free newsletter!! You will get all my new recipes emailed to you a few times a week that will help with meal planning for the week.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page because we share all our new creations there every single day. And follow me on Pinterest for more inspirations! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1 Bowl
- In a bowl combine all ingredients except spices. Taste. Sprinkle in salt and pepper to your liking, stirring in between each add in.
- If you want it a bit spicy add a pinch of red pepper flakes, chili powder, jalapeno powder or drop of Sriracha. Stir, taste and adjust heat as desired.