Here’s a Slow Cooker easy creamy tomato soup recipe that’s perfect for dinner, and only needs a few ingredients! Smooth tomato soup packed with flavor and great for chilly days or year round really. Served with a grilled cheese it’s sure to be your kids favorite meal too.
I’m all about simple recipes with just a few ingredients, and I love my slow cooker! Working full time with three active girls doesn’t leave me a lot of time to cook in the kitchen. That is where this deliciously easy creamy tomato soup comes into play. With just six main ingredients it is quick for me to throw together in the morning. Whip up a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches when it’s done, and have the perfect meal all five of us enjoy. If you’re a busy mom too who loves making homemade meals too but doesn’t have a lot of time to do it, you’ll love this soup. Your kids will too! 😉 It’s one of our favorite easy crockpot recipes. Special thanks goes out to Horizon Organics for sponsoring this post so I could share this easy slow cooker tomato soup with all of you.
Like I said, just 6 main ingredients. That’s my kinda’ meal!
This is what you’ll need to make this easy creamy tomato soup recipe
- 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes
- Horizon Organic Half & Half
- Chicken broth
- Basil & Oregano
To make grilled cheese you’ll need:
- Horizon Organic American Singles
- Horizon Organic Butter
If you have the time you could even use fresh tomatoes to make this easy creamy tomato soup, but typically I use two cans of petite diced tomatoes (let’s just be honest here, we like really easy right). I like to use what I have on hand so I have used chicken broth and/or vegetable broth when I thought I had chicken in the pantry but didn’t. LOL. Just how life goes right??
I use Horizon Organic half and half to make it really creamy but if you had their heavy cream on hand instead that would work too, NO worries my friend.
Tomato soup just isn’t complete without a grilled cheese in my opinion (and my kids would agree). The best is when the cheese is just ooey gooey and it’s perfectly golden on the outside. With just the right crunch, but soft inside. I will say as a mom I have bought countless amounts of American singles and there is a big difference in their quality.
Hands down we all agree that these from Horizon Organic have an amazing flavor! Paired with this creamy tomato soup, and dunked inside before taking a bite seriously is some of the best comfort food around…and so simple to make I tell you. I always have butter on hand so that’s never an issue, and the spices I use are minimal since we really like tasting the tomatoes natural flavor.
A little oregano and basil are great additions to this slow cooker easy creamy tomato soup!
This recipe is enough to feed the five of us with our cheesy sandwiches on the side, if you have a larger family you can easily double it without an issue. The only difference is when you puree the soup (in step 8) you’ll have to do that in two batches unless you have a really big blender. 😉
Here is the printable recipe for easy creamy tomato soup, and a video showing you how we make it too!
Go ahead and give it a whirl. If your kids are apprehensive about vegetables I bet this might change their minds!
When it is cold outside this slow cooker tomato soup hits the spot (okay I have made it during the summertime too). Then try our easy tomato bisque recipe too.
Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes 14.5 oz cans
- 3/4 c Horizon half and half
- 2 tbsp Horizon salted butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1.5 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 c chicken broth
- Over low/medium heat on the stove heat your butter in a pan and add your diced onions.
- Saute for a few minutes until onions begin to soften.
- Sprinkle your flour on to the softened, butter covered onions and stir until coated. Cook for an additional minute and turn heat off.
- Add this onion rue type mixture to your slow cooker.
- Pour your two cans of petite diced tomatoes on top of that followed by your chicken broth, and then sprinkle in your spices.
- Stir gently just so everything is combined, put top on and set to high for 3.5 hrs.
- If you are able to stir halfway thru do that.
- Lift lid and use a ladle to put all slow cooker contents into a blender. Set blender to puree for about 30 seconds or until all chunks are smooth.
- Pour mixture back into your slow cooker and set to low.
- Pour in your Horizon half and half, stir until combined.
- Put lid back on and allow to cook on low for 30 more minutes.
- If you want to pair your creamy tomato soup with grilled cheese make them now.
- Over low heat butter two slices of bread. Put buttered side down of one piece of bread into a pan and add two slices of Horizon cheese slices, followed by the second buttered piece with butter side facing up.
- Cook until butter and cheese is melted, flip, and allow both sides of bread to brown. Serve together!
Let us know what you think!