This Instant Pot tomato basil soup is a fantastic dinner that takes just minutes to prepare in your pressure cooker now. Healthy meals are on the way!
Have you ever made a simple homemade tomato soup before?? It’s easier than you might think. If you’re looking for some more easy Instant Pot recipes this Instant Pot tomato basil soup will do the trick…I bet your kids will even love it (even if they aren’t tomato fans). 😉
We’re going to start with onions…why….well because I add them to just about any and everything because they’re crazy cheap and add flavor and texture. Bam!
- We are also not making just traditional tomato basil soup, but we’re adding cheese filled tortellini noodles inside too!!
Why would we do this….ummmm because it makes it super delicious and makes it a bit heartier for dinner.
Served with a grilled cheese sandwich or a slice of garlic bread and OH MY it’s a great dinner idea.
I don’t know about you but I am always up for Instant Pot soup recipes year round…it doesn’t have to be cold outside.
I have made slow cooker easy creamy tomato soup before which is good, but slow cooker means what it says….slooooowwwww, and some days I don’t have that much time. our easy tomato bisque recipe is cooked on the stovetop and tastes amazing but you really have to stand there for quite some time and watch it so it doesn’t burn or boil over.
So….needless to say now that I am addicted to using my pressure cooker, this Instant Pot tomato basil soup was born.
I guess you could call it tomato tortellini soup too…whatever, call it what you will. 😉
Why I love cooking Instant Pot soups
- They cook crazy fast
- You can cook soups with dry beans super fast like our pressure cooker bean soup
- It allows me to cook from scratch easier because I don’t have to tend to the stove, the pot does the job all on it’s own keeping the temp. steady
- Because when it’s cold or snowy outside all I want is a warm bowl of soup for lunch and dinnertime
- Soup is a meal my whole family can enjoy together
- For the most part, soup for dinner is crazy cheap to feed all 5 of us
Things you will need to make easy Instant Pot tomato basil soup with tortellini (or without)
- Tomato sauce – two of these
- Basil leaves – fresh is best
- Heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper – to your liking
- Tortellini noodles – already filled, we’re going for easy here – you can buy them bagged here
- Parmesan cheese – for the top, the only way to go
- Bowls – I treated myself to my favorite soup bowls this year
Looking for more easy pressure cooker soups?
- Easy Instant Pot minestrone soup
- Instant Pot split pea soup recipe
- Pressure cooker broccoli cheese soup
Here is the printable recipe you can follow:
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- 29 oz tomato sauce
- 8 basil leaves fresh, or 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 c tortellini optional - already stuffed, with cheese, in refrigerated section
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese to top, optional
- salt to taste
- Set to saute mode and add a bit of olive oil, diced onions and garlic. Cook for a few minutes just until onions begin to soften.
- Turn pot off. Add half of your basil leaves and your can of tomato sauce. Stir.
- Set to high pressure for 2 minutes, do a quick release.
- Set Instant Pot to saute again and add in your already stuffed tortellini noodles (add 1-2 cups depending on how many you'd like in your soup).
- Cook for about 5 minutes stirring intermittently until tortellinis are as tender as you'd like them.
- Pour in whipping cream and stir. Cook for another 2 minutes or so, just until everything is warmed again and serve topped with additional basil, salt and/ or parmesan cheese if desired.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉