Chocolate banana cookies use fresh fruit and chocolate chips for a simple treat full of sweetness. Like banana bread cookies, they’re something new to try!
Have you made chocolate banana cookies yet? They’re a bit like banana bread cookies with fresh fruit and oatmeal too. Light and simple to make they’ve become one of our favorite new desserts.
- My oldest daughter actually came up with these when we had a ton of bananas and she wanted to bake.
If you follow my blog at all you know I hate to waste anything. I came up with 26+ overripe banana recipes because of this when I bought too many and they were turning quite brown. The best time to use them in baking I say!
These banana oatmeal cookies didn’t last long in our house. 😉
Actually, you don’t have to wait until you have brown bananas for these. Fresh is fine too. Overripe banana cookies just make them sweeter.
What you need to make these chocolate banana cookies
- Chocolate chips – I prefer mini semi sweet
- Mashed banana
- overripe or ripe bananas can be used
- Oats – not instant
- Brown sugar
- makes them moist, soft and chewy
- we used vanilla but banana would be even better
- not low fat
- Baking soda and powder
- Optional – a heaping tbsp. of peanut butter
- Baking sheet with parchment paper
They aren’t going to rise a lot, but a bit. The texture is more dense than cake like just to give you an idea.
I like to put them on wire racks to cool immediately once they’re done. This will keep them really soft.
You’ve got to try them!!
Other banana recipes you will love:
- Banana pudding cake is so moist it is ridiculous
- Our 4 ingredient banana bread uses boxed cake mix that’s been doctored up
- This banana cream pie is my friend’s creation that’s always a hit
Pair them with a glass of our fresh squeezed lemonade and it’s a great fresh treat.
Chocolate Banana Cookies
- 2 c rolled oats not instant
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1 banana ripe, mashed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 c yogurt plain, vanilla, or even banana flavored
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c chocolate chips semi sweet we prefer
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) in one bowl and wet (including mashed banana) in another.
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined.
- Fold chocolate chips into dough mixture until well combined.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out a ball of dough and put on to parchment paper with about 2" in between each ball of dough, they still spread a bit but not a lot.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and center is still a bit soft.
- Leave on baking sheet to continue cooking or transfer to cooling rack for a chewier cookie.