How to make pressure cooker yogurt is here. Make in your Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi yogurt is wonderful too. Easy vanilla or even dairy free yogurt with almond milk that is thick and packed with protein. A healthy breakfast your family will love.
Maybe you’ve been intimidated to try pressure cooker yogurt. It’s easier than you think and only takes 5 minutes to prep! Use your Instant Pot or make it an easy Ninja Foodi recipe. Any pot will do. (affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Yogurt
You can even use a Crockpot Express or Mealthy if that is what you have. We will even explain what to do if you do not have a yogurt button.
The great thing about all homemade recipes is you can customize it for your tastebuds. Love vanilla, just add that. Want coconut yogurt, no problem just added some sweetened flakes from the store.
If you too are obsessed with your Ninja Foodi pressure cooker air fryer machine, here are a few resource to start with:
- First LIKE my Facebook Page because I share new ideas there a lot!
- You can bookmark our Ninja air fryer recipes page, we add to that weekly.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cooking times chart here for your fridge.
- Be sure to save this link to Instant Pot recipes for beginners too. You can use any of those in your pot too.
- Grab this set of wooden utensils to work with. They are great so your pot doesn’t get scratched!
- Then join our Ninja Facebook group where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. Thousands of others share both pressure cooker and air fryer recipe ideas there daily and you can too!
If you need to know how to cook frozen meat in a pressure cooker, we have information on that. NO, you aren’t the only forgetful one. 😉
Instant Pot Yogurt
All you need are a few items. You will buy a small container of thick Greek yogurt. I know, kinda’ counterintuitive since that is what you are making but you only need 2 tbsp to make a TON of this.
Why do you need this? Well it is vital to include a probiotic with active cultures and this is the easiest way to do just that. In order for it to set and get nice and thick like you want yogurt with active culture strains like:
- Lactobacillus bulgaricus
- Streprococcus thermophilus
- Bifidobacterium lactis
- or Lactobacillus acidophilus
Instead of trying to find these confusing words on different things just pick up one of those prepackaged Greek Yogurts near the butter section.
What is the difference between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt?
The latter isn’t as thick, has less protein and more sugar than the Greek variety. Both have probiotics but in this case just choose the thicker type, you can find them easily at almost every grocery store nowadays.
Ninja Foodi Yogurt Recipe
How do you make homemade yogurt with milk?
If you do not have a yogurt button on your machine you’re going to use the same steps as if you were making it on the stovetop.
- Use your saute function, normal setting, and add your milk
- Have a yogurt thermometer handy
- Stir intermittently so it doesn’t overheat on the bottom
- Test temperature, you want to heat milk to 180 degrees F
- Then turn your pot off and cool the milk until it is between 112 and 115 degrees F
- Then whisk in your yogurt
- Add vanilla or other extract for flavored yogurt, omit for plain yogurt
- Close your lid, keep the steam valve OPEN and allow to sit for 8 hours
Then you’ll remove the inner silver pot and put plastic wrap over the top. Place into fridge overnight or at least 8 hours. Then enjoy.
Yogurt in Ninja Foodi
That is a bit more complicated than if you have an Instant Pot but can be done. If you have a Ninja Foodi with a dehydrator button you can follow these directions:
- Pour half your milk into your pot and whisk in your yogurt starter
- Then pour remaining milk into pot
- Add vanilla if you choose to now
- Close the lid that is attached (crisp lid) and OPEN the steam valve
- Press the dehydration button and set temp. to 180 degrees F
- Leave it alone for 8 hours
Then remove the inner pot and once at room temperature cover top with foil or plastic wrap. You can cool a bit quicker putting it into a large bowl of ice water. Put into fridge for 8 hours and then enjoy.
Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe
This is the easiest method by far! There IS a yogurt button on even the oldest models of these pressure cooker pots.
Time needed: 8 hours.
Pressure Cooker Yogurt
Whisk together 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt with 1 cup of your ultra filtered whole milk until smooth.
Pour remaining milk into your electric pressure cooker, then add your Greek yogurt mixture, stir. Whisk in your vanilla.
Close lid but do NOT seal pressure release valve. Press the yogurt function on your pot. Set cook time to 8 hours.
After this time take out the inner liner out from your pressure cooker pot and cover it with plastic wrap or tinfoil.
Put this into your refrigerator overnight or for at least 8 hours to get thicker yogurt. Enjoy topped with fresh fruit and/or granola.
If you want to make a few batches of yogurt I suggest you just buy a 2nd liner, makes things quicker. You may never buy store bought yogurt ever again after this y’all!
Almond Milk Yogurt Instant Pot
If you need dairy free yogurt many have had success following the same method but with 1/2 gallon of plain almond milk. Make sure the almond yogurt you choose has active cultures in it. Same goes for almond milk yogurt Ninja foodi style.
Instant Pot Greek Yogurt
There are TONS of brands out there to choose from. I recommend using plain rather than flavored, and do not use any that are low in fat. Whole milk is a must if you want it thick like store-bought.
How long does homemade yogurt last?
You can enjoy this safely if it is consistently stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Keep in airtight containers with lids so a film doesn’t create on the top.
What do you put on a yogurt bar?
This is great if your kids are having a sleepover. Have all the yogurt toppings ready when they get up.
- Add 1/2 cup fresh fruit on top. Especially during the summertime this is a great option.
- Granola makes it a heartier meal.
- Drizzle some honey on top with sliced almonds.
Serve with air fryer muffins or Instant Pot pancakes!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Making Yogurt in Instant Pot
This is a lot easier than the “old fashioned” methods out there. No need to strain the yogurt or take temperatures multiple times throughout the cooking or resting processes.
Pressure Cooker Yogurt
- 52 oz milk ultra filtered, whole milk, Fairlife brand recommended
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt plain with live active cultures
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- fresh fruit optional, stir in when chilled and done
- Whisk together 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt with 1 cup of your ultra filtered whole milk until smooth. (Fairlife is higher in protein so the yogurt will turn out thicker as you'd see in the stores)
- Pour remaining milk into your pressure cooker, then add your Greek yogurt mixture, stir. Whisk in your vanilla.
- Close lid but do NOT seal pressure / steam release valve. Press the yogurt button on your pot and set the pressure to normal. Set cook time to 8 hours.
- After this time take out the inside liner from your pressure cooker pot and cover it with plastic wrap. Put this into your refrigerator overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Enjoy topped with fresh fruit and/or granola.
- ** If you do not have a yogurt button do the following **
- Then turn your pot off and cool the milk until it is between 112 and 115 degrees F. Then whisk in your yogurt. Add vanilla or other extract for flavored yogurt, omit for plain yogurt.
- Close your lid, keep the steam valve OPEN and allow to sit for 8 hours. Then remove inner pot and let cool to room temperature on the counter.
- Then cover top with plastic wrap and put into fridge overnight or for 8 hours.