3 ingredient Bisquick funnel cake is easy to make for breakfast or dessert. How to make this fun fair food right at home with your kids.
If you have never made this at home you’re in for a treat. It’s easier than you might think and Bisquick funnel cake can be topped with all sorts of goodies too! This is just one of many easy Bisquick recipes we have made lately that we just had to share with y’all. (affiliate links present)
How to make a Funnel Cake with Pancake Mix
We have shared several other ways to make things well beyond Bisquick biscuits with you lately. If you haven’t started thinking outside of the box when it comes to this baking mix we will show you all the ways here, and you’ll be hooked too. Last week Bisquick cinnamon rolls were created too and WOW.
So you’re going to need this yellow box. I am sure it reminds you of your childhood and there shouldn’t be any substitution. Yes there are other very similar brands out there like Krusteauz but just do not accept the low fat version. It is not as moist and doesn’t rise as well either, just my opinion.
How to make a Funnel Cake at Home
All you really need 3 things to make the batter. If you want to add some vanilla or other extract for flavor that would be a fourth. Coconut extract would be wonderful too. Then you’ll wanna fry these on the stovetop and top each one with toppings that you choose.
- 2 cups Bisquick
- Milk whole or 2% is best, you can use almond for dairy free funnel cake
- 2 eggs
- Vanilla or other extract for some flavor
- Powdered sugar, whipped topping and/or pie filling is the most common topping
OH and you’re going to need some vegetable oil to cook it too. The best way to get that swirly nature to it is just pour your mix into a freezer bag, zip shut and snip the corner off. Once the oil is so hot that is sizzles when a drop is set inside you’re ready to squeeze some in in a circle form.
Yes you could make a homemade funnel cake from scratch with flour, baking powder, salt and cold butter cut in. This can be substituted instead of the already made yellow boxed buttermilk pancake mix.
Pancake Mix Funnel Cake
Absolutely, we will show you how to make that batter right here. At home you can use a skillet on the stove with some oil to fry them to perfection. Tastes very similar to your favorite treat at the fair but way cheaper and this way you can have them year round!
Basically, the same ingredients are typically used. You can of course add some extract and/or cinnamon into it for flavor too but ingredients remain mix, milk, and egg.
Vegetable oil is typically used because it has a mild flavor and won’t alter the taste of the dough itself.
3 Ingredient Funnel Cake Recipe
In a large bowl, whisk together Bisquick, milk, eggs and vanilla. (you could add a tbsp of sugar with vanilla for added sweetness if you wanted) Pour batter into a freezer ziplock bag, or squeeze bottle with a large opening if you have one. Set aside for now.
- Depending on the size of your skillet, pour oil about 1 inch deep.
- Begin to heat over medium heat. Cut the corner off of your ziplock bag and squeeze 1 drop of batter into the oil to see if it’s hot enough. If it fries immediately it’s hot enough.
- Create the form of a funnel cake by squeezing pancake batter in a circular motion in oil. (I made one funnel cake at a time).
- Fry the funnel cakes in hot oil for 30-45 seconds on each side, or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove the funnel cake from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain any excess oil.
Repeat with remaining batter. Once the funnel cakes have cooled slightly, sprinkle powdered sugar over the top and spoon pie filling over that to serve. I know you hear me saying over and over again that frying isn’t my thing but this has to be deep fried, period.
You can use our kitchen conversion chart if you wanted to half or double this recipe for a larger crowd. That printable comes in handy for all sorts of recipes. It is easy to make your end product thicker or thin and crunchy too. To thicken the batter just add less liquid into the mix, thinner add more of course.
Funnel Cake Toppings
I don’t know how many fairs you have attended, and how many of these you have tried but I will say that each region has it’s own flair. When I was in Texas they were HUGE with some savory options you could eat for lunch even! You could try that yourself too topped with lox and cream cheese, or ham and cheddar. Others would be;
- We make Instant Pot apple pie filling you see here with some whipped cream on top.
- For a breakfast option you can use it kinda’ like a slice of toast even. Add an egg with bacon or homemade huckleberry jam and butter.
- Melt ham and cheese in between two of them sprinkled with powdered sugar for a sort of monte cristo funnel cake of sorts!
The easiest and most easy funnel cake recipe tops would be a scoop of canned pie filling with cinnamon and sugar, Cool Whip, done!!
Bisquick Funnel Cake Recipe
You know I hate waste but honestly these don’t save very well. The best way to do so is to not cook the batter that is left over at all. Save in that baggie, set the open end into a sandwich bag so it doesn’t dry out and set it into the fridge to fry later on.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Bisquick Funnel Cake
- 1 pan
- 1 Bowl
- In a large bowl, whisk together Bisquick, milk, eggs and vanilla. Pour batter into a freezer ziplock bag, or squeeze bottle with a large opening if you have one. Set aside for now.
- Depending on the size of your skillet, pour oil about 1 inch deep. Begin to heat over medium heat. Cut the corner off of your ziplock bag and squeeze 1 drop of batter into the oil to see if it's hot enough. If it fries immediately it's hot enough.
- Create the form of a funnel cake by squeezing batter in a circular motion in oil. (I made one funnel cake at a time). Fry for 30-45 seconds on each side, or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove the funnel cake from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain any excess oil. Repeat with remaining batter. Once the funnel cakes have cooled slightly, sprinkle powdered sugar over the top and spoon pie filling over that to serve.