Air fryer pretzel bites are fun after school or party snacks to make at home! Using just 3 ingredients we have an easy pretzel recipe, plus a honey wheat homemade pretzel dough you can try as well!
Have you made air fryer pretzel bites yet? They were fun and quick to make with my kids. Fluffy salty bites of goodness you’ll love. One of our favorite easy air fryer recipes now. (originally published 2/19, affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Pretzel Bites with Active Dry Yeast
I craved these air fryer snacks while I was pregnant. Didn’t have a hot air machine way back then but wish I did. My favorite place to get them is Auntie Annes in the mall, but we live in the middle of nowhere and there isn’t one. So I created them…
These are not only my favorite low fat snacks but my girls are now addicted to them. Right out of the oven in a cup they take them on the go all the time. And the sauces that are great for dipping are endless, though our mustard pretzel dip is top of the list for most.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
Air fryer soft pretzels
- Are you obsessed with creating lots of easy air fryer recipes too??
Ever since I got mine I’ve used it almost daily and I cannot believe it took me this long to buy one!! (okay my husband bought it, he gets a bit of credit there). I actually have bought several over the years because I always want to test out to make sure the timing isn’t any different.
I am here to say that it doesn’t matter what you have, or buy. My Foodi is great as a multi function pot but does have a smaller circular air fryer basket. My Cosori is square so it typically fits more at a time which is great for more people or larger crowds.
Homemade soft pretzels
Our homemade pretzel dough is quite easy. There is only a 10 minute rest time necessary and no rising required. I will share our no yeast pretzel bites recipe below too. 😉
- Active dry yeast
- All purpose flour
- Warm water
- Brown sugar
- Coarse salt or everything bagel seasoning for outside
- Melted butter
- Baking soda
Serve these with our yellow mustard or you can make them sweet with cinnamon and sugar on the top instead of salt. One more idea…don’t cut them into pieces. Rather roll them into snakes and wrap around a few wieners to make air fryer pretzel dogs instead. All the possibilities are OH MY goodness excellent.
Here are a few questions you might have before you get started on these:
Can you air fry pretzels?
Yes, we will show you how to make homemade pretzels in air fryer here today. Make them whole or as snacks like our pretzel bites. Either way they are great.
Can you cook soft pretzels in an air fryer?
Yes, we will show you how to do that here. Use homemade pretzel dough with no rising required and they’re a great snack.
Can you air fry frozen pretzels?
You can. There are 2 ways. You can microwave as directed and then crisp for 1 minute in your air fryer. Or put in and bake at 300 degrees F for 3 minutes. Don’t these just look amazing?? My kids and I just love them and never last long in our house.
Ninja Foodi Pretzels
We have used a version of our bread in a bag dough and made honey wheat homemade pretzel bites in the air fryer that way as well.
There’s another “cheater” way of making pretzels with a package of refrigerated crescent rolls too. Here’s how you make those.
Air fryer pretzel bites crescent rolls
This is what you’ll need to make the SECOND version of our crescent roll air fryer pretzels
- Air fryer – we have the Ninja Foodi air fryer and pressure cooker
- Container of crescent rolls
- you could use this gluten free pretzel dough mix
- or this no yeast packaged soft pretzel dough mix
- others have used pizza dough too
- haven’t tried the above yet, but will and add info. when I do
Non stick spray is needed for just about everything cooked in this basket. I like olive oil spray specifically.
- Salt or this Everything Bagel Seasoning is really the best to use
- Cook at 330 degrees F for about 5 minutes until they’re browned on top
- Serve with any dipping sauces like mustard or cheese.
Want to make larger homemade soft pretzels? We have a recipe for that traditional dough too.
Can you bake pretzel bites in the oven?
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees for these honey wheat pretzel bites and bake for about 8-10 min. or until golden brown
- For the crescent roll pretzels follow directions on the package but check after the min time to ensure they don’t get too brown
- Food is lower in fat because there is no need for oil
- Dishes cooked in an air fryer come out crispy on the outside but still tender and soft on the inside
- Using an air fryer cuts down on cook time since you don’t need to wait for oil to heat up
- It just tastes better – no oily after taste to food
- Air fryer cinnamon rolls sticky buns are incredible These air fryer breakfast stuffed peppers are low carb, keto friendly and a yummy breakfast too.
Homemade Pretzel Bites in Air Fryer
If you’re ready to create more in your new machine too here is a printable air fryer cook times chart. A quick step by step is below but there’s a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post too.
- Add warm water and yeast until dissolved. If boiling water, allow to cool until it’s still warm but cool enough to touch before adding. Add brown sugar and table salt to bowl and mix with flour after that.
- Add 1 cup at a time using a stand mixer and dough hook. May need a bit more than 3 cups, add a bit at a time until dough is no longer sticky.
- Leave dough in bowl and allow to rest for 10 minutes untouched. On a floured surface roll the dough into “snakes” and then slice into bite size pieces. Make sure they’re all the same size so they cook evenly.
- In a pot boil water and baking soda, then put bites (10 at a time) into liquid for 20 seconds. Use slotted spoon to remove, place on lined baking sheet with parchment paper on top. Sprinkle with sea salt.
Spray air fryer basket with non stick spray and cook at 390 degrees F for 5 minutes until browned. Brush with butter and serve. Super easy recipe under 30 minutes recipe to follow and print out if you’d like is below.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Pretzel Bites
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast 2 1/4 tsp
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1.5 c warm water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coarse salt to top, or use everything bagel seasoning
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 4 c water boiling
- 1/3 c baking soda
- Start by combining the water and yeast in a small bowl, allowing the yeast to dissolve. Add brown sugar and salt, whisk until well combined.
- In a bowl slowly add flour to yeast mixture 1 cup at a time. Use a stand mixer preferably with a dough hook for this. Add more flour, 1/4 c at a time until dough is no longer sticky.
- Once this is achieved allow dough to sit in the bowl for 10 minutes.
- Lightly flour a cutting board and cut dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into "snakes" and slice each one into "bites". Make sure all pieces are the same size.
- In a pot bring your 4 c water and baking soda to a boil. Then put 10 pieces at a time into the water and remove after 20 seconds with a slotted spoon.
- Put these pieces on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper on top. Once they're all done sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Spray air fryer basket with non stick cooking spray and place some in with space in between so they can rise.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until they're as brown as you'd like. Take out and brush melted butter on the top before serving.
Friday 13th of August 2021
The idea of 3 ingredient pretzel bites intrigued me. However after spending 15-20 minutes on the site trying to find that recipe I gave up. Sorry but there is just too much unnecessary “other stuff” that had me scrolling forever so that I didn’t even know I had found the “recipe” until I was so frustrated that I said forget it.
Sunday 4th of July 2021
1/3 c of baking soda in the water seemed like a lot. I tasted the baking soda in the pretzels. Could I reduce it? Other than that, awesome!
The Typical Mom
Monday 5th of July 2021
If you prefer to use less that would be fine
Wednesday 17th of February 2021
The recipe is great for these bite sized pretzels. Your post however tries to cover too many things at one time. I nearly gave up scrolling to get to the recipe. Just some feedback, not a joy killer.
Monday 25th of January 2021
Did anyone else have trouble with their pot of water and baking soda bubbling over?
The Typical Mom
Monday 25th of January 2021
just turn it down so it's a slow rolling boil
Friday 25th of December 2020
These were yummy and fun to make. I decided not to take out the stand mixer and just mixed the dough in a bowl with a Danish dough whisk until I could turn it out on a surface and knead it just a bit adding more flour until it was no longer sticky. They were easy and fun to make. They tasted so good when I took them out of the air fryer that I didn't bother with brushing them with melted butter (I figured why add extra calories when they already tasted great?). I also turned them over and cooked them on the other side for two more minutes because the bottoms looked white. This recipe is a keeper!! Thanks so much Justine!!
Saturday 9th of January 2021
Hi! So excited to make these, just got an air fryer! I was wondering if i could 1/2 the recipe?
The Typical Mom
Saturday 26th of December 2020
Yay glad it was fun and yummy