How to make air fryer fish and chips at the same time for dinner! Using frozen fish fillets or sticks and french fries, it’s easier than ever.
Ok y’all, air fryer fish and chips are the bomb! My kids and I love this meal at restaurants, but now we can make this easy air fryer recipe right at home. Love, love. (affiliate links present)
We started all of this by making a bunch of different air fryer fish recipes. Yes we love it with simple salt and pepper with no breading, but “fried” is so much better.
Paired with crispy french fries it’s the best meal ever.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
Ninja Foodi Fish and Chips
It doesn’t matter what brand of small kitchen appliance you have, all electric air fryers work just the same.
AND of course there are a ton of different ways to make fish to go along with this. We chose Gortons crunchy breaded whole fillets which are a bit larger than sticks.
It is the closest thing to what you’re served if you go out to eat we think. You can find beer battered versions too which are fabulous.
Then let’s move on to the other part of this favorite meal shall we:
Air Fryer French Fries Recipes
- You can make air fryer homemade French fries
- Or even easier are frozen french fries in air fryer
- Air fryer potato wedges may take a minute or two longer
- I mean really, you could make tater tots too
I used frozen extra crispy Ore Ida fries this time, we love those.
Let me answer a few questions for you in case you’re wondering:
No. Meaning, wet tempura like batters are a no go. You’ll want to use breadcrumbs with a light egg wash so it sticks instead. These are battered and frozen so they’ll work just fine though.
Absolutely. Whether you’re making air fryer salmon, or fried fish you’ll get a great tender result with a crunchy outside.
If you have leftovers, this is a great way to get it crispy again. Not as much as when they’re fresh but 360 F for about 3 minutes will liven them up after being in the fridge.
I first crisped the fries before adding the frozen fish to the top. I also decided to separate the two with a trivet. A small piece of parchment paper might work just as well.
Fish and Chips in Air Fryer
If you need this to be gluten free you can find varieties in the freezer section. Cook times should be basically the same. Only variations would be if pieces are much thicker or thinner than what you see here.
I used very little olive oil spray for this, it got plenty crunchy with just a bit for the salt to stick. Just like deep fried but you don’t have to cook the fish in oil at all.
- Serve as is right out of the air fryer basket as is or with a side of tartar sauce.
We have made this in a variety of ways, with a grilled version and with fresh lightly battered fish.
Here are quick step by step directions below but there is a printable recipe card at the bottom as well.
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Air Fryer Fish and Chips
Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. Spray inside of basket with non stick spray.
Pour half a bag of frozen french fries into fryer basket and cook at 400 degrees for 9 minutes turning halfway thru that time. After about 4 min.I spray top of fries with olive oil spray, sprinkle salt on top of them.
Open, shake basket again and put a flat trivet on top of fries. Put frozen fish sticks or fillets on top of that.
Cook for 5 more minutes, then open and flip fish. Cook for another 4-5 minutes or until as crispy as you’d like it to be.
You could wait until the end to season. Add fries to a large bowl and toss with seasoned salt and then serve.
The total air fry time is about 18 minutes total. Keep in mind that if you are doing homestyle or steak fries that are really thick you might want to add an additional minute.
Serve with a shallow bowl or plate full of different dipping sauces like fry sauce, ketchup, etc…
Nutritional information below will vary depending on the brands you choose to use. Refer to calories, saturated fat, etc…amounts on the bags.
Air Fryer Fish and Chips
- 1/2 bag french fries frozen
- 4 fish sticks used fish fillets, frozen
- cooking spray
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. Spray inside of basket with non stick spray.
- Pour half a bag of frozen french fries into your basket. Close and cook at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Open, shake basket, spray top of fries with olive oil spray, sprinkle salt and air fry for another 4 minutes.
- Open, shake basket again and put a flat trivet on top of fries. Put frozen fish sticks or fillets on top of that.
- Cook for 5 more minutes, then open and flip fish. Cook for another 4-5 minutes or until as crispy as you'd like it to be.