These are the best air fryer cheese curds! Lightly breaded and crispy you can now enjoy this ooey gooey snack at home anytime you want. Kinda’ like frozen mozzarella sticks cooked in this machine except we made these from scratch.
Even if you aren’t from Wisconsin, you can still love some warm air fryer cheese curds! I mean who doesn’t love the ooey gooeyness of this bite of dairy??!! Just one of the best air fryer recipes here on The Typical Mom site. (affiliate links present, originally published 8/21)
Homemade Cheese Curds Air Fryer
I mean we have made air fryer homemade mozzarella sticks before and those were yummy. We used a ready made frozen type for that though so it was time to make something homemade.
At our local favorite burger joint they have these bites of heaven. Since we are obsessed with cooking everything in our Ninja Foodi I thought we could try them ourselves. HEAVEN I tell you!
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Cheese Curds Air Fryer
If you look in the cheese section of your grocery store you will likely find a bag of these babies. They’re usually in a bag hanging next to the shredded cheeses. If you can’t find them you can use slices of string cheese.
- You can search for where to buy cheese curds here though.
These are better, more tender, and have a bit of a different flavor and texture but use what you can find. I do suggest asking for items I like buying. You usually fill out a form to request that they carry something.
It doesn’t always work but all they can say is no, you may be surprised to find out that others have requested it too. That will help push them into carrying it in their store.
Air Fryer Cheese Curds Frozen
If you bought the Farm Fresh version of these that are already made you can make those too well. You need to preheat for 5 minutes at 400 degrees first. Then lay in a single layer for 8 minutes to start, shaking basket after minute 4. Check after that, if not warm enough add 1-2 more minutes. Beware because they may explode at the end but if you rotate more often it is more successful.
What are Cheese Curds?
They are fresh curds of cheese, normally cheddar. Instead of a firm block they have more of a springy rubbery texture. That doesn’t sound good but OH they are! More airy is I guess how I would explain it. Compare it to puffy Cheetos vs. the hard sticks, maybe that visual is something that makes more sense.
What are fried cheese curds made of?
You can use different things as the coating really. If you are deep frying them you could use something similar to our tempura batter. When you air fry them you must use a breadcrumb mixture with seasonings.
Dipped in whisked egg and milk and then in the breading you’ll create the perfect crispy coating.
Fried Cheese Curds
If you’ve had these at a restaurant they are surely deep fried. I mean a few of those are great but that method can make them rather heavy. I love air fried cheese so much better.
- Cheese curds
- Bread crumbs mixture
- Light spritz of olive oil spray gets them really crunchy
You can get the Italian style or add your own seasonings like garlic powder and cayenne pepper into the mix. Either way that is up to you. I just use it right out of the container and add a bit of salt and pepper when they are done.
Dipping sauces are great with them too.
How to Make Cheese Curds
Once you have your shallow bowls ready just create an assembly line to get every piece done. You can see how it’s well coated above, that is what you want. Set them on a piece of parchment paper until they are all prepared.
Preheat your air fryer for 5 minutes and then put all of your coated pieces inside. Leave a bit of space in between them and in a single layer so they get really crispy on the outside all the way around.
Ninja Foodi Cheese Curds
At the bottom of this post there are all the ingredient amounts and instructions. It is printable too if you want to keep it on hand or put it into your own recipe book. Lightly beat egg with milk in a bowl.
- In another bowl combine the bread crumbs garlic powder or any other seasonings you want, or leave it plain. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F and set timer for 5-7 minutes.
- Dip one curd at a time into egg wash and then coat with bread crumbs allowing any excess coating to fall off. Spray inside of basket with non stick spray.
- Place curds in a single layer in prepared pan (your air fryer basket). Cook for 2-4 minutes or longer depending on their size. Start with 2 min. and check. Remove when they are light brown crispy nuggets.
Keep an eye on them so they don’t burst. Start with 2 minutes. If yours are larger they may take 4 but 3 was perfect for the size you see in the photo. No need after 2 minutes to flip them over.
How Long do Cheese Curds Last?
Since they are so fresh and texture is everything they don’t keep fresh for long. 21 days is typically the “life span” so make sure you make them quickly once purchased.
What Goes Good with Cheese Curds?
Popping them in your mouth like popcorn chicken is good as is. If you like dipping sauces for all the things then try these:
- Marinara sauce or homemade spaghetti sauce is simple and great
- Bang bang sauce
- Fry sauce is our go to
Copycat Culver’s Cheese Curds
Prefer the other stick version? You can make homemade mozzarella sticks air fryer style too and see which you prefer better. OR make both when people come over with a dip bar for even more fun.
If you just can’t get enough of this gooey dairy product, you should give Ninja Foodi grilled cheese a whirl too. Only takes a few minutes to make them for lunch.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Cheese Curds
- Beat egg with milk in a bowl. In another bowl pour in breadcrumbs. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Dip one curd at a time into egg wash and then coat with bread crumbs well. Spray inside of basket with non stick spray.
- Place into air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 2-4 minutes until outside is golden brown.
- ** Keep an eye on them so they don't burst. Check after minute 2. If yours are larger they may take 4 but 3 was perfect for the size you see in the photo in this post.