Copycat Whataburger honey butter chicken biscuit recipe is here! Whether you want to enjoy one for breakfast with Whataburger honey butter on top or with chicken inside for a meal, these are homemade and great.
Homemade honey butter biscuits you can add an air fried chicken patty to are here! Rather batter chicken breast from scratch? Go for that, or they are great in the morning with gravy on top too. However you dress them these are the instructions that will get you there. (affiliate links present)
Honey Butter Chicken Biscuits
We are going to show you how to make biscuits from scratch that taste very much like your favorite fast food joint. This is a popular menu item offered by the fast-food chain Whataburger. It is a breakfast sandwich that features a crispy chicken filet sandwiched between a fluffy biscuit. When served it is generously topped with their honey butter sauce (linked above).
With both savory and sweet flavors, it is a fan favorite with adults and kids. The fried chicken breast is deep fried to a crispy golden brown, but above we share how to air fry it as well. With a light and buttery biscuit hugging it tight, it provides a perfect base for the patty.
Many people enjoy the this Honey Butter Biscuit with chicken as a breakfast option, but it can also be enjoyed any time of the day. It is a popular choice for those on the go.
Copycat Whataburger Chicken Biscuit
There are a few tips you should follow in order to achieve that really light and fluffy texture on the outside and all the way to the middle. First off you always want to spoon your dry goods when measuring flour properly and never ever scoop it up. Too much can create a dense heavy product if you don’t allow air to get mixed in.
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Sea salt (and any other seasonings you’d like to add like onion powder or garlic powder work too, just a pinch)
- Butter cold, cut into cubes
Why do you use cold butter to make biscuits? Just like when we make our Hardees biscuits recipe keeping it cold helps achieve a specific texture and structure in the final product. Here are a few reasons why:
- Flakiness: Cold butter is solid and firm, which means that when it is incorporated into the biscuit dough, it creates small pockets of fat. During the baking process, these pockets of fat melt and create steam, which helps create flaky biscuits.
- Better rise: The cold butter in the dough helps create steam pockets, as mentioned earlier. When these pockets of steam expand in the oven, they contribute to the rise and lightness of the biscuit. If the butter were too warm, it would melt too quickly and not create the desired steam pockets.
- Reduced gluten: Gluten is a protein that forms when flour is mixed with a liquid. When making homemade biscuits, you want to minimize the gluten because too much can result in a tough and dense texture. Cold fats helps to coat the flour particles, preventing them from absorbing too much liquid and forming excess gluten.
You also want to handle the dough as little as possible to keep it from melting. Some recipes even suggest grating frozen butter into the flour mixture to ensure it remains cold throughout the process.
Whataburger Biscuit Recipe
There are many things you can make beyond just the obvious though. We have used these to make our sweet dessert called cobbler with biscuits too instead of the canned variety. Start with the homemade buttermilk biscuits recipe below and then you can add a crispy breaded chicken strip inside or bread and fry chicken thighs.
- Add dry ingredients into a food processor and process for 10 seconds until combined well.
- Add cubes of cold butter and process until combined. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 1/4 cups buttermilk and carefully stir the mixture until dough forms. Use your hands to knead the mixture into a ball.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and using a rolling pin
- Roll the dough in a rectangle.
- Then fold it twice and repeat, roll into a rectangle.
- Fold again twice and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- or “bake” as homemade air fryer biscuits
- Remove dough, use a rolling pin to roll dough into a 3/4″ thickness.
- Using a round biscuit or cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Fold remaining scraps together and roll again to cut into additional biscuits until all of the dough is used.
Use a brush to brush the remaining buttermilk on to the top of each one to keep it moist and fluffy when baking. Bake for 15-17 minutes until lightly browned on the top. If you want to make a biscuit sandwich with meat we have a few ideas below to air fry. If you wanted to deep fry your piece of chicken you could pound a breast and dredge in tempura batter to brown in oil too.
Fried Chicken Sandwich Biscuit
Now let’s move on to the meat and how to get that done if you want to make a burger of sorts. For a copycat version of an air fryer fried chicken sandwich we have directions for you here. With a batter it is a close second to the original and way cheaper too for sure.
If you want an uber crunch but a bit lower in carbs you can use ground nuts in the mix of your breadcrumbs too! Almond crusted chicken with a breast is a great choice if you are looking for something a bit healthier but with that same crisp.
Some locations have stopped making this saying it was only available for a limited time. If that is true for your city this is a way to make one at home!! Want to add heat?? Tweak it to make a spicy honey butter chicken biscuit with some frank’s red hot sauce or sriracha too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Whataburger Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit
- Add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt to a food processor and process for 10 seconds until combined well. Add butter cubes and process until combined. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add 1-1/4 cups buttermilk and carefully stir the mixture until dough forms. Using your hands, knead the mixture into a ball.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and using a rolling pin, roll the dough int a rectangle. Fold the dough into a letter shape and repeat, rolling into a rectangle. Fold into another letter shape and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from refrigerator and discard plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin to roll dough into 3/4" thickness.
- Using a 3-4" round cutter, cut dough into rounds and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Fold remaining dough scraps together and roll again to 3/4" and cut additional biscuits until all of the dough is used.
- Use remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk to lightly brush the tops of each biscuit. Bake for 15-17 minutes until lightly browned on the top.
- You can use our air fryer fried chicken sandwich directions if you want to add meat.