Tuna Steak air fryer style comes out great! Perfectly pink inside with a bit of sear on the outside and tons of flavor. Air fryer fish is fab
Tuna steak air fryer style is a game changer. If you love cooking fish at home you may never cook this on the stovetop or grill again. Kept rare inside and perfectly cooked on the edges, you’ll love this easy air fryer recipe I’m telling you. (affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Tuna Steaks
We love going to Japanese restaurants and ordering sushi and rolls. I don’t like mine completely raw and after our air fryer fish turned out so good, I thought of trying this. Talk about easy and perfectly done.
If you have a local Asian or fish market near your home that is the best place to grab a few of these. Most grocery stores will carry fresh tuna as well but it may not be as fresh, or just defrosted from frozen which isn’t as good.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
Should tuna steak be raw in the middle?
We say yes, and that is the most common way to serve this. Of course with anything that isn’t cooked all the way, including eating raw tuna, there IS a chance it could make you sick. Sushi grade tuna steaks are safest but none can be 100% free of parasites. That being said we have never had an issue.
Best way is to choose quality pieces from a reputable location and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook it. You never want to allow fish or other meats to come to room temperature while you’re prepping because it can cause bacterial growth quicker.
It is meat cut from the loin of the fish. Think of this term in relation to pork, it is a very desirable cut because it isn’t exercised as much, lean, and thus quite tender and flavorful. You do NOT want to overcook this or it will become dry, grayish and resemble canned tuna.
Easy Tuna Steak Recipe
How to season tuna steak?
The simpler the better if you ask me. You don’t want a lot of seasonings to overpower the natural flavors of the seafood. Let the pink shine thru sorta speak.
- Just a pinch of salt is best, pepper too if you like that flavor. I do add a spray of olive oil into the basket so it doesn’t stick too which adds a bit of flavor but not overpowering at all.
That is all you need, it is that easy y’all:
- Tuna steaks that are the same or similar sizes so they cook evenly together.
- Salt and pepper, just a sprinkle is best.
- I always like to spray the air fryer basket with some olive oil spray for an easier cleanup.
Do not overlap these babies or it will inhibit an even cook on all sides. You do not have to flip them over as there are holes at the bottom which will allow for proper hot air flow.
This is how they should look when done. If you wanted a deeper color on the outside you could increase the temperature for the last 2 minutes at 400 F. If you marinated them beforehand they would be a different color too obviously.
- Preheat air fryer to 300 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Spray inside basket lightly with non stick cooking spray.
Sprinkle salt on both sides of raw tuna steaks.
- Lay inside basket without overlapping.
Cook for 3 minutes. Lower temp to 250 F and continue cooking for 2 more minutes cooking time, for a total of 5 minutes.
- This timing will vary slightly depending on how thick your steaks are.
- Mine were average and this timing created a medium rare on outside pink in middle which was perfect
Slice, plate with veggies, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions and enjoy.
Air fryer cooked to perfection this works for ahi tuna steaks and yellowfin tuna pieces too. There are a variety of types out there and they all have a slightly different taste.
With your seared tuna steaks you could serve it with white rice of course, and a side of bok choy is delicious. If you want to continue air frying broccoli as a side dish, that is a great choice. Just cook this first and let it sit, covered, with some parmesan on top to melt. Then throw in your fish and enjoy.
Can I reheat cooked tuna steak?
If you don’t finish it all you might need this information for sure. I hate wasting food and warming the next day can be tricky. Take it out of the fridge (where it should’ve been stored overnight). Allow it to sit on the counter for about 15 minutes so it isn’t so cold.
- Heat a pan on the stovetop on medium/low heat and rewarm each side for about 3 minutes or until it’s warm to the touch on the outside.
Once you have tried this you may be all about this new method of hot air cooking your food. We have lots of other ideas because I don’t know, we love fish!! You can start with scallops in air fryer and then move on to air fryer tilapia.
A printable recipe card with nutritional information is provided for you below. I hope you enjoy this creation and others here on The Typical Mom blog and share your successes below!
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Tuna Steak Air Fryer
- 2 tuna steaks fresh or defrosted
- 1 sprinkle salt
- Preheat air fryer to 300 degrees F for 5 minutes. Spray inside basket lightly with non stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle salt on both sides of tuna steaks.
- Lay inside basket without overlapping. Cook for 3 minutes. Then lower temp to 250 F and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- This timing will vary slightly depending on how thick your steaks are but mine were average and this timing created a medium raw/seared on outside pink in middle which was perfect
- Slice, plate with veggies, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions and enjoy.