Rainbow Rice Krispy treats are perfect for a birthday party or a St. Patrick’s Day dessert. Different colored marshmallow squares are fun! If you loved our rainbow popsicles this is something that you don’t need to freeze and can love year round.
If you’re having a rainbow birthday party these rainbow Rice Krispy treats are the perfect dessert. You don’t really need a reason though to make them. It’s a great “baking” no bake treat to make with your kids. They can help layer the different colors and see them come to life! If you’re curious how to make these fun rainbow marshmallow squares here’s the steps you take. (originally published 2/19, affiliate links present)
Tie Dye Rainbow Rice Krispy Treats
For several different colors you will have to color the same amount separately, layer, cool slightly and then layer the next one. That is how this works. I recommend spraying your hands with non stick spray or press with parchment or wax paper. You’ll need:
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
- Mini marshmallows – they melt easier than large one
- Rice Krispies – store brand is fine too
- Gel Food coloring – these are brilliant and easy to use
- 4 colors are used as seen here
- You can also use strawberry rice krispies as a layer which won’t need any coloring since it will already be pink as well as cocoa krispies that are already brown in case you aren’t able to food coloring.
- Cake pan – 9×13 glass pan is best because it just doesn’t stick (you could use a greased cookie sheet as well)
- Wax or parchment paper
- 4 bowls – or however many colors you want to make, 1 bowl for each color
If you were to make these for Fall you could shape into pumpkins for Halloween Rice Krispie Treats some time too!
Fruity Pebble Rice Crispy Treats
To make these really colorful you could use this other cereal instead. With those you wouldn’t have to layer really at all since all the rainbow colors are already mixed together.
- Follow the recipe for rice krispy treats starting with cooking the butter and marshmallows on the stove
- Have your bowls ready with the food coloring in each bowl!!!
- Use 4 larger bowls and measure out an equal amount of rice krispies into each bowl, have these ready beforehand too! (if making 1 batch measure out 2 c. of cereal into each bowl)
Once your marshmallows are melted pour 1/4 of this into each smaller bowl with food coloring in it.
Unicorn Rice Krispie treats
- Quickly stir together with coloring and then pour it into one of the cereal bowls and mix until well combined.
- Once all colored rice krispy bowls are well combined start with one of the colors and add it into your 9×13 pan
- Push down flat using a piece of parchment paper on your hand so you have a thin layer across the pan
- Dump the second color in and do the same thing creating another layer of rice krispy treat color
- Continue until rainbow layers are done
Allow to cool at least 2 hrs. before cutting nice slices, or put in fridge to harden a bit for less time before slicing.
How to make rainbow Rice Krispy treats
Alternatively you can:
- Melt 1/4 of your butter and marshmallows with your food coloring on the stove
- Mix with 1/4 of your cereal
- Make a layer in your pan
- Clean your pot
- Melt more marshmallows using another color, repeating process for all 4 colors
Rainbow sprinkle rice krispy treats
Can you make these extra fun with other ingredients mixed within or added to the top??
- You could dump 2 tbsp of rainbow sprinkles into your cereal (just know that those colors will melt a bit and colors will mix because the marshmallows will be hot).
- Once your marshmallow treats are in your pan you can cover the top with a layer of the same sprinkles.
- OR….you can mix in some rainbow jelly beans into your cereal mixture (the colors won’t melt and meld as much as the sprinkles would in the warm marshmallow) and then put a layer of rainbow sprinkles on the top.
Other rainbow birthday party ideas:
- Have Kool Aid paint in rainbow colors ready with watercolor paper
- Make some rainbow weaving art during the party
- Lots of these St Patricks Day activities will work well
Before you go I want you to sign up for my free newsletter!! You will get all my new recipes emailed to you a few times a week that will help with meal planning for the week.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page because we share all our new creations there every single day. And follow me on Pinterest for more inspirations! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Rainbow Rice Krispy Treats
- Have 4 bowls ready with a drop of food coloring in each bowl as well as 4 larger bowls next to them with 2 cups of cereal in each one.You could easily double this recipe so adjust amounts accordingly. (you’d need a larger pan though)
- Melt your butter and marshmallows on the stove, remove immediately once melted and smooth. Pour 1/4 of this into each smaller bowl with the food coloring in it.Quickly stir together with coloring and then pour it into one of the cereal bowls and mix until well combined.
- Once all colored rice krispy bowls are well combined start with one of the colors and add it into your 9×13 pan (could use a greased cookie sheet as well)Push down flat using a piece of parchment paper on your hand so you have a thin even layer across the pan.
- Dump the second color in and do the same thing creating another layer of rice krispy treat color.
- Continue until rainbow layers are done.Allow to cool before cutting nice slices, or put in fridge to harden a bit before slicing.