Rainbow Rice Krispy treats are perfect for a rainbow birthday party or a St. Patrick’s Day dessert. Different colored marshmallow squares are fun!
If you’re having a rainbow birthday party these rainbow Rice Krispy treats are the perfect dessert. You don’t really need a reason though to make them. It’s a great “baking” no bake treat to make with your kids. They can help layer the different colors and see them come to life! If you’re curious how to make these fun rainbow marshmallow squares here’s the steps you take.
This is what you will need to make rainbow rice krispy treats
- Mini marshmallows – they melt easier than large one
- Rice Krispies – store brand is fine too
- Gel Food coloring – these are brilliant and easy to use
- Cake pan – 9×13 glass pan is best because it just doesn’t stick (you could use a greased cookie sheet as well)
- Wax or parchment paper
- 4 bowls – or however many colors you want to make, 1 bowl for each color
How to make rainbow Rice Krispy treats:
- Follow the recipe for rice krispy treats starting with cooking the butter and marshmallows on the stove
- Have your bowls ready with the food coloring in each bowl!!!
- Use 4 larger bowls and measure out an equal amount of rice krispies into each bowl, have these ready beforehand too! (if making 1 batch measure out 2 c. of cereal into each bowl)
- Once your marshmallows are melted pour 1/4 of this into each smaller bowl with food coloring in it.
- Quickly stir together with coloring and then pour it into one of the cereal bowls and mix until well combined.
- Once all colored rice krispy bowls are well combined start with one of the colors and add it into your 9×13 pan
- Push down flat using a piece of parchment paper on your hand so you have a thin layer across the pan
- Dump the second color in and do the same thing creating another layer of rice krispy treat color
- Continue until rainbow layers are done
- Allow to cool at least 2 hrs. before cutting nice slices, or put in fridge to harden a bit for less time before slicing.
Alternatively you can:
- Melt 1/4 of your butter and marshmallows with your food coloring on the stove
- Mix with 1/4 of your cereal
- Make a layer in your pan
- Clean your pot
- Melt more marshmallows using another color, repeating process for all 4 colors
Could you create rainbow sprinkle rice krispy treats instead of using food coloring?
- You could dump 2 tbsp of rainbow sprinkles into your cereal (just know that those colors will melt a bit and colors will mix because the marshmallows will be hot).
- Once your marshmallow treats are in your pan you can cover the top with a layer of the same sprinkles.
- OR….you can mix in some rainbow jelly beans into your cereal mixture (the colors won’t melt and meld as much as the sprinkles would in the warm marshmallow) and then put a layer of rainbow sprinkles on the top.
Other rainbow birthday party ideas:
- Have Kool Aid paint in rainbow colors ready with watercolor paper
- Make some rainbow weaving art during the party
- Lots of these St Patricks Day activities will work well
Rainbow Rice Krispy Treats
- 8 c rice krispies
- 4 tbsp butter
- 8 c marshmallows use miniature marshmallows as they are easier to melt
- food coloring a drop of gel goes a long way, the more you put in the more vibrant the color
- Have 4 bowls ready with a drop of food coloring in each bowl as well as 4 larger bowls next to them with 2 cups of cereal in each one.You could easily double this recipe so adjust amounts accordingly. (you'd need a larger pan though)
- Melt your butter and marshmallows on the stove, remove immediately once melted and smooth. Pour 1/4 of this into each smaller bowl with the food coloring in it.Quickly stir together with coloring and then pour it into one of the cereal bowls and mix until well combined.
- Once all colored rice krispy bowls are well combined start with one of the colors and add it into your 9x13 pan (could use a greased cookie sheet as well)Push down flat using a piece of parchment paper on your hand so you have a thin even layer across the pan.
- Dump the second color in and do the same thing creating another layer of rice krispy treat color.
- Continue until rainbow layers are done.Allow to cool before cutting nice slices, or put in fridge to harden a bit before slicing.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉