Easy no bake recipe for Scotcheroos are the best peanut butter and butterscotch dessert recipe ever that has chocolate in it too. Easy to make with rice krispies.
Have you ever made peanut butter Scotcheroos? They are amazing and so easy to make! If you like peanut butter and butterscotch you will be in love with this rice krispy treats dessert. (originally published 2/16, affiliate links present)
Best Scotcheroos Recipe
They are quick to throw together and a heavenly chocolate dessert that’s perfect to take to someone’s house if you’re invited over.
We have made this no bake scotcheroos recipe using either Rice Krispies or Cheerios cereals. Every Thanksgiving and now they are a yearly tradition (and expected). 😉
- Especially during the holidays I love things that are easy to make, do not require an oven, and everyone thinks they are amazing.
Peanut Butter Scotcheroos
You can find the scotcheroo bars recipe on the back of some Rice Krispy cereal boxes. They’re super easy to make.
The first thing you’ll want to do is spray some non-stick cooking spray to your pot, bowl, and the 9×12 pan you will use to complete your scotcheroos (you will thank me later for this suggestion)!
Then you’ll start with your pot and add 1 cup of sugar as well as 1 cup of karo syrup. Stir this mixture occasionally and wait until it comes to a rolling boil.
- Then you’re going to add 1 cup of creamy peanut butter (yes it will be messy and sticky but no worries, it’s so worth it) and stir until it is all dissolved and smooth.
Just before your mixture on the stove is ready, take a second to measure out 5 1/2-6 cups of Cheerios or Rice Krispy cereal into a large bowl and get ready to stir your hot peanut buttery mixture on top.
Mix everything together until all the Rice Krispies are coated well, then empty the contents into your greased 9×13 size pan.
Now it is time for the chocolate and butterscotch topping for these scotcheroos. All you have to do to make the topping is melt 1/2 a bag of chocolate chips and 1/2 a bag of butterscotch chips.
No bake scotcheroos
- Karo syrup
- Smooth peanut butter
- these two will be heated on the stovetop
- Rice Krispies or Cheerios
- Chocolate chips
- Butterscotch or peanut butter chips
- Piece of waxed paper
The best to make the topping in the microwave is to use a paper bowl and plastic spoon (lends to a much easier clean up). Or you can use a saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth.
Once you have all of the chocolate/butterscotch topping on let it set until it is cooled and hard.
- Then pop it in the fridge for about 20 minutes so the topping can harden, and then it can be room temperature after that.
It is a great treat to bring to a get together, for a holiday (we always have this at Thanksgiving), or just for a treat!
We recently made these for Christmas and instead of melting chocolate and butterscotch chips I melted red and green Wilton candy melts and drizzled some on top for fun! Another fun no bake treat is our chocolate peanut butter oatmeal bars. My daughter makes these all the time and we love them.
If you’re looking for more easy desserts here are a few:
- Easy ingredients for no bake cookies, seen above
- S’mores Poke Cake and our rocky road bars are yummy
- Butterscotch haystacks are a fun no bake dessert
- Here’s another no bake cookies recipe to try
- Rice Krispy Treat ornaments are fun using crispy rice cereal and can be made gluten free with Cheerios too
Time needed: 20 minutes.
Have your 5-6 cups of rice krispy cereal ready in a bowl to pour mixture on top of this immediately. I use 5 c. because I like them really ooey gooey.
Also have a 9×13″ pan ready that has been sprayed with non stick spray. This whole process will move quickly.
In a small saucepan bring karo syrup to a low rolling boil and then add peanut butter.
Stir until it reaching low rolling boil again and then remove from heat and immediately pour it into your bowl with cereal. Stir quickly until all cereal is well coated.
Pour cereal mixture into a greased 9×13 prepared pan and press flat with a piece of wax or parchment paper.
Melt your chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl until melted. Put in for 30 sec., stir, 30 sec. stir until melted and then pour on top of rice krispy mixture.
Smooth over the top and put in fridge for about 30 min. to harden top coat. Then cut into squares.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
- Have your 5-6 cups of rice krispy cereal ready in a bowl to pour mixture on top of this immediately. I use 5 c. because I like them really ooey gooey. Also have a 9×13" pan ready that has been sprayed with non stick spray. This whole process will move quickly.
- In a small saucepan bring karo syrup to a low rolling boil and then add peanut butter. Stir until it reaching low rolling boil again and then remove from heat and immediately pour it into your bowl with cereal. Stir quickly until all cereal is well coated.
- Pour cereal mixture into a greased 9×13 pan and press flat with a piece of wax or parchment paper.
- Melt your chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl until melted. Put in for 30 sec., stir, 30 sec. stir until melted and then pour on top of rice krispy mixture.
- Smooth over the top and put in fridge to harden top coat, then cut and serve. You can use cheerios too, but rice krispies are our favorite for scotcheroos!!!