Easy no bake Scotcheroos peanut butter chocolate rice krispie treats recipe is the best dessert. Super easy to make with cereal.
Have you ever made peanut butter Scotcheroos? They are amazing and so easy to make! If you like peanut butter and butterscotch you will be in love with this rice krispy treats dessert. (originally published 2/16, affiliate links present)
Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
They are quick to throw together and a heavenly chocolate dessert that’s perfect to take to someone’s house if you’re invited over. We have made this no bake scotcheroos recipe using either Rice Krispies or Cheerios cereals. Every Thanksgiving and now they are a yearly tradition (and expected). 😉
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
- Especially during the holidays I love things that are easy to make, do not require an oven, and everyone thinks they are amazing.
Peanut Butter Scotcheroos
You can find the scotcheroo bars recipe on the back of some Rice Krispy cereal boxes. They’re super easy to make. The first thing you’ll want to do is spray some non-stick cooking spray to your pot, bowl, and the 9×12 pan you will use to complete your scotcheroos (you will thank me later for this suggestion)!
Then you’ll start with your pot and add 1 cup of sugar as well as 1 cup of karo syrup. Stir this mixture occasionally and wait until it comes to a rolling boil.
Then you’re going to add 1 cup of creamy peanut butter (yes it will be messy and sticky but no worries, it’s so worth it) and stir until it is all dissolved and smooth.
Just before your mixture on the stove is ready, take a second to measure out 5 1/2-6 cups of Cheerios or Rice Krispy cereal into a large bowl and get ready to stir your hot peanut buttery mixture on top. Mix everything together until all the Rice Krispies are coated well, then empty the contents into your greased 9×13 size pan.
No Bake Scotcheroos
Now it is time for the chocolate and butterscotch topping for these scotcheroos. Melting chocolate chips in microwave is easy. You’ll want 1/2 a bag of chocolate chips and 1/2 a bag of butterscotch chips for this.
- Karo syrup
- Smooth peanut butter
- these two will be heated on the stovetop
- Rice Krispies or Cheerios
- Chocolate chips
- Butterscotch or peanut butter chips
- Piece of waxed paper
The best to make the topping in the microwave is to use a paper bowl and plastic spoon (lends to a much easier clean up). Or you can use a saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Scotcheroos
Once you have all of the chocolate/butterscotch topping on let it set until it is cooled and hard. Then pop it in the fridge for about 20 minutes so the topping can harden, and then it can be room temperature after that. If making during the Fall you could shape into fun things like our pumpkin Halloween Rice Krispie Treats!
It is a great treat to bring to a get together, for a holiday (we always have this at Thanksgiving), or just for a treat! Store in an airtight container if there is some time between when they are done and the time they are eaten so they don’t dry out.
Rice Krispie Treat Recipes
We recently made these for Christmas and instead of melting chocolate and butterscotch chips I melted red and green Wilton candy melts and drizzled some on top for fun! My daughter makes these all the time and we love them.
- S’mores rice krispie treats and our rocky road bars can use any sort of cereal
- Butterscotch haystacks are a fun no bake dessert
- For fun make a batch of rainbow rice krispy treats, so fun if you are throwing a birthday party
- Christmas Rice Krispy Treats use the typical cereal and mini marshmallow recipe but turn into a fun shape and can be made gluten free with Cheerios too
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
You could skip the top layer of chocolate if you wanted but the two flavors are over the top. Just like our lunch lady peanut butter bars you just need a small square to satisfy your sweet tooth craving.
- Have your 5-6 cups of rice krispy cereal ready in a bowl to pour mixture on top of this immediately. I use 5 c. because I like them really ooey gooey.
- Also have a 9×13″ pan ready that has been sprayed with non stick spray. This whole process will move quickly.
- In a small saucepan bring corn syrup to a low rolling boil and then stir in the peanut butter.
- Stir until it reaching low rolling boil again and then remove from heat and immediately pour it into your bowl with cereal. Stir quickly until all cereal is well coated.
- Pour cereal mixture into a greased 9×13 prepared pan and press flat with a piece of wax or parchment paper.
- Melt your semi sweet chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl until melted. Put in for 30 sec., stir, 30 sec. stir until melted and then pour on top of rice krispy mixture.
Smooth chocolate topping with the back of a spoon and put in fridge for about 30 min. to harden top coat. Then cut into squares.
Before you go I want you to sign up for my free newsletter!! You will get all my new recipes emailed to you a few times a week that will help with meal planning for the week.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page because we share all our new creations there every single day. And follow me on Pinterest for more inspirations! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 9×13 pan
- Have your 5-6 cups of rice krispy cereal ready in a bowl to pour mixture on top of this immediately. I use 5 c. because I like them really ooey gooey. Also have a 9×13" pan ready that has been sprayed with non stick spray. This whole process will move quickly.
- In a small saucepan bring karo syrup to a low rolling boil and then add peanut butter. Stir until it reaching low rolling boil again and then remove from heat and immediately pour it into your bowl with cereal. Stir quickly until all cereal is well coated.
- Pour cereal mixture into a greased 9×13 pan and press flat with a piece of wax or parchment paper.
- Melt your chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl until melted. Put in for 30 sec., stir, 30 sec. stir until melted and then pour on top of rice krispy mixture.
- Smooth over the top and put in fridge to harden top coat, then cut and serve. You can use cheerios too, but rice krispies are our favorite for scotcheroos!!!