These easy butterscotch haystacks desserts are perfect Easter nests and so yummy too. A crunchy and creamy peanut butter treat with chocolate eggs in the shape of a bird nest they are a no bake dessert kids can help you make with a delicious butterscotch flavor.
Have you ever made butterscotch haystacks for dessert? They are a really delicious peanut butter and butterscotch treat that only takes a few minutes to make. You can jazz them up with little add ins depending on what you like, and this time we made them into little nests for Easter. A perfect Easter dessert for your get together this year, or just make little haystacks which are great year round! Here is the recipe. (originally published 3/15, affiliate links present)
The way you make butterscotch haystacks is simple (I’ve made them for years and couldn’t tell you where I heard the recipe), all you need are crunchy chow mein noodles, butterscotch chips, peanut butter, and anything else you’d like to add like peanuts and/or these fun chocolate egg candies you find at Easter time. Of course you can make them any time but this is how to make them into nests which turn out really cute. Here’s a quick peek of what we are going to be doing. 😉
In order to make them into nests it is easier to have a muffin pan handy as well. It makes them into similarly sized pieces and a great way to store them with a little plastic wrap over the top when you’re done. Here is step by step of how you make haystacks. I found all of the ingredients online and have picked them up in the grocery store as well, just depends on how I am shopping that day. Everything is easy to find, eggs come out usually the beginning or middle of March depending on when Easter time hits.
This is what you will need to make butterscotch haystacks and a video showing you how we make them:
- 4 c chow mein noodles crunchy, in bag
- 1 c creamy peanut butter
- 1 bag butterscotch chips
- 24 chocolate eggs 3 per haystack
- Melt peanut butter and butterscotch chips in microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals stirring in between times, until creamy. May take 2-3 30 second intervals.
- Add crunchy noodles to a bowl and pour peanut butter mixture on top. Mix well.
- Spoon into muffin tin that has been sprayed with nonstick spray, should make 16 total. Use finger or spoon to make a divot in the middle of each ones so eggs fit.
- Allow to cool and harden for about an hour or so. Can put in fridge to harden faster.
- Pop out of tins and add chocolate eggs. Can easily half this recipe and make just 8 if desired.
It really is that simple to make these butterscotch haystacks. It is a no bake dessert which I love, easy for the kids to help you with this easy Easter dessert, and you can customize it to include whatever you’d like inside! We even used the same concept but made mummy haystacks for Halloween that were a real hit, easy to do with the kids, and had the same great flavor with some frosting and candy eyeballs which made them spooky fun.
It’s a favorite, and making them into “nests” is always a hit! I hope you enjoy our butterscotch haystacks recipe, check out some other easy recipe ideas on my blog and if you’re cooking with kids you should
- try making ice cream at home using just 2 baggies!
- strawberry cake in a mug just takes 2 ingredients
For more easy recipes and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook, sign up for my newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest!