This Instant Pot turkey soup is a great leftover turkey recipe that’s thick and flavorful like an enchilada soup packed with protein! You’ve gotta’ try it.
Are you looking for a great leftover turkey recipe to make after the holidays? Maybe you’ve got the hankering for enchilada soup. Either way this Instant Pot turkey soup with an enchilada twist may be up your alley! One of our 101+ easy Instant Pot recipes on The Typical Mom. (affiliate links present)
It is in between Thanksgiving and Christmas here so we all about turkey but you could easily use shredded rotisserie chicken in this recipe as well.
This is definitely one of our favorite Instant Pot soup recipes to make.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
I say, use what you have and don’t throw our your leftovers please!
Do you have a big ol’ pile of leftover turkey like this too??
If you do you probably need a few ideas and this Instant Pot turkey soup is your first stop, I will share more leftover turkey recipe ideas below too.
Ok, so if this doesn’t look like turkey soup to you, you could call this yummy dinner:
- Instant Pot enchilada soup
- Pressure cooker turkey soup
- Easy turkey chili
- Instant Pot turkey enchilada casserole
Who cares as long as it’s delicious right??!! 😉
I will admit, I like quick meals that can incorporate a bunch of canned ingredients in case I am in a bind and need a hearty dinner to serve.
This one is perfect for that.
It kinda’ reminds me of my 5 ingredients crockpot chili recipe in that you just dump it all in, stir, warm, and it’s ready.
The best kind of meal if you ask me when we are in a rush back from school and on to karate like 45 minutes later.
Pressure cooker turkey soup
- You can use either shredded leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken – perfect for after the holidays or all year long (you can always find rotisserie chickens)
- If you like a lot of heat you can add Tobasco or your favorite hot sauce to amp it up!
- If you prefer or only have another type of canned beans in your cupboard, you can substitute any style you want or leave them out entirely
- Need a vegetarian version of enchilada soup, just omit the turkey and use vegetable broth instead of chicken
This soup can be made as thick or thin as you’d like, just add more broth as desired
This is what it looks like once everything is added and you’re allowing it to thicken up on the saute setting.
Don’t have an Instant Pot but still want to make this turkey soup recipe??
Here are instructions for making turkey soup on the stovetop
- Follow directions below using a large pot on the stove, on low/medium heat
- On step 4 just allow to bubble for about 5 minutes to thicken, stirring intermittently, instead of putting it on high pressure
- After you add the corn flour mixture and your turkey chili – soup has thickened to your liking then turn the heat off and serve
Top with lots of goodies and eat immediately for best results
Instant Pot turkey soup
Shredded turkey or chicken – great leftover turkey recipe
- Diced tomatoes – canned, this type is great if you want it chunky with tons of flavor
- Black beans – canned
- Whole kernel corn – canned
- Chicken stock or broth
Minced garlic goes in everything I make, seriously.
- Corn flour – thickening agent that works well to make enchilada soup of any kind, you can find it here
- Cheese – lots of it
- Sour cream
Side of tortilla chips is great to serve along side of this.
Once you’ve made this Instant Pot enchilada soup you could call it, try these other favorite leftover turkey recipes!
- Crockpot recipe for enchilada soup
- Use your leftover turkey instead of chicken in our Instant Pot crack chicken casserole
- Chicken detox soup is great too and could swap out for turkey
- Enchilada lasagna
- Turkey meat recipes
Here is the printable recipe as well as a video.
Instant Pot Turkey Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 2 c turkey precooked, shredded, leftover turkey is great
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 10 oz enchilada sauce red
- 28 oz diced tomatoes canned, or dice 6 fresh tomatoes + 1 bell pepper or can of diced chiles
- 14 oz black beans canned, drained
- 14 oz whole kernel corn canned, drained
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 3 c chicken stock or broth
- 1 c cheese shredded, to top
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c corn flour masa harina, optional, to thicken
- Set Instant Pot on saute mode. Add diced onion, garlic, cumin and shredded/precooked turkey (or shredded rotisserie chicken if you’d rather). Stir.
- Saute for about 3 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add in enchilada sauce, black beans drained, corn drained, and cans of diced tomatoes.
- Stir everything together and allow to cook down on saute setting for about 5 minutes stirring regularly, or set on high pressure for 3 minutes. Do a quick release.
- Whisk together 1 cup of chicken stock with 1/2 c. corn flour/masa harina, then pour into soup mixture. Stir.
- Set on saute mode (if it isn’t already on it) and stir intermittently so it doesn’t burn but allows the mixture to thicken. Add in remaining 2 cups of chicken stock (more if you want it thinner).
- Stir and turn off once your Instant Pot turkey soup is the desired consistency.
- Serve and top with cheese, avocado, sour cream, salsa. Serve with side of tortilla chips.