How to help sinus pressure at home easily with just two items! Home remedies to relieve sinus pain during cold and flu season. Simple and effective!
Battling the flu, drippy noses, and stuffed up sinuses are all too familiar to us, this is how to help sinus pressure as we know it and what has helped my husband and I for years. (originally published 10/17, affiliate links present)
Treating Nasal Congestion and Sinus Pressure
You know it’s coming….the flu and colds! Especially if you’re a parent it’s pretty much inevitable. One of your children will catch something and bring it home to “share it” with you. Not fun.
- I bet someone in your house has the sniffles right now….my daughter does…..
- The common cold isn’t life threatening of course, but it sure does put a damper on things.
This is what we always have on hand to help sinus pressure. My husband swears by this method so follow along….. (by no means is this medical advice, just what has worked for us year after year to relieve sinus pressure)
I think there isn’t a time of year where we don’t have a few boxes of Puffs and VapoRub in our house. With three kids and a husband who has sinus issues pretty much year round. I always keep them on hand.
- There is nothing worse than waking up with severe sinus pain and pressure, or flu symptoms, and not having what you need on hand.
- The LAST thing you want to do is leave the house, but you know your day will be a bit better with them.
Yes…we all have napkins and paper towels but seriously, let’s be real. When you have a sinus headache or a nose that just won’t stop draining you want the softest thing available.
Where to put Vicks Vaporub for nasal congestion
Want to know my husband’s hack how how to help sinus pressure, here it is!
- First, take a hot shower to clear some nasal congestion.
- Then he uses a neti pot for nasal irrigation, that’s a great home remedy too.
- Recently we got this electric nasal washer that clears nasal passages like NO other! I would highly recommend this for treating colds long term.
Then, skip the nasal sprays, this is how to clear sinus congestion from there!
Can you put Vicks on your nose?
NO it is not safe to put it on or around your mucus membranes. If it comes in contact with broken skin it can infect those areas too so you should absorb it from afar. Where to put Vicks for stuffy nose? On your chest or in a bowl of hot water like we suggest here.
You don’t need a fancy and expensive piece of equipment to clear your sinuses, it’s actually simple really. If you have this in your medicine cabinet you’re set…if not grab some at below and keep it handy when the time arises.
- You see, dry air is no good at times like this.
- Nasal decongestants and pain relievers are short term, and don’t really improve the situation. Instead…..
How to help sinus pressure at home
- Heat up a bowl of water and about a tablespoon full of Vicks VapoRub
- Stir it in and it will begin to dissolve in the hot water
- Put a towel over your head
- Put your head above the water so the steam is warming your face
- Completely cover your head and the bowl so the steam can be breathed in
- Breathe in thru your nose (at first it will be harder because it’s stuffy but it will loosen up)
- Do this for several minutes until you feel some sinus symptoms relief
- Use Puffs tissues to blow your nose
- Feel the relief!
With symptoms lasting as long as a week, it’s time to grab what you need when you’re at the store (or online) so you’re ready.
- Nobody ever wants to battle the flu but it’s bound to happen to us all at one point in time.
Hope our hack helped you relieve sinus pressure. Let us know how it works for you!
Home Remedies to Relieve Sinus Pain
Other ways to help you breathe better and ward off allergies and illnesses this season:
- Do a 30 day house clean to get rid of dust and pathogens
- Make DIY cleaning wipes and homemade hand sanitizer
- Improving your home air quality
- Seasonal allergy relief tips are on the way here
- Allergy relief for kids is a necessity here too
- You may want to check if it’s a pet dander allergy too
We love home remedies, even when it comes to cleaning and bugs! Try this tip to get rid of gnats in your kitchen that works fantastic.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Siphiwe Q Myeni
Sunday 6th of February 2022
Thank you very much better try 🙂
Monday 20th of January 2020
Been doing this for years.
Saturday 5th of January 2019
THANK YOU! My husband has a terrible sinus headache. I'm heading out to get the VapoRub! Thank Heaven I found your posting!
Thursday 20th of December 2018
You must try Viva paper towels when you have a cold. They absorb the moisture and NEVER make your nose sore. Even those blue paper towels sold for using in the garage/shop will do the same thing.
The Typical Mom
Friday 21st of December 2018
I haven't heard of that! Blue towels....interesting!!
Thursday 20th of December 2018
I am going out to buy some Vics Vaporub today. Thanks for this hint.