The best homemade garlic bread with roasted garlic that is super easy and you can make it spicy too! The perfect side dish to spaghetti or meatloaf we say. Try our spicy cheese bread tonight!
Do you buy this store bought already coated there in the bakery section, seriously….just don’t. It is so easy to make the best roasted garlic bread recipe and you can customize it according to whether you want it fiery or just super garlicy, or tame. Customizing it to your liking is the key when it comes to this favorite side dish everyone loves. (affiliate links present)
Roasted Garlic Bread Recipe
You can make this with no or a lot of heat which is great. It is best if you use garlic fresh and roast it yourself but you can buy it too. Fresh is always best, instructions for that is linked at the top of this post if you want to try it. For this spicy garlic bread you will need:
- Loaf of French or Italian bread – make sure it is not day old, fresh
- if you want to know how to make garlic bread from scratch I have info here
- Salted or unsalted butter
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Garlic dipping oil – this one is seriously the best
- Crushed red pepper you can leave off if you want it mild
Once you prepare it they’ll look something like this. Cheesy garlic bread is the bomb, and can be made with dairy free cheese too. I will say that that doesn’t melt quite as great as “regular” but I make it for my husband and he likes it.
Spicy Garlic Bread with Cheese
Like I said, you can make this spicy cheese bread as hot or mild as you like it. I don’t like really spicy foods but I like a lot of flavor and a bit of a kick so I add just a touch of cayenne pepper to the bread and make it a bit heavier on the other half for my husband and youngest daughter to enjoy together.
Garlic Bread with Roasted Garlic
So there are a few choices. When you spread the garlic butter on the bread you could add a layer of red pepper flakes on then, as well as on top. Also you could use that inside and jalapeno powder on the top for a duo of flavors but both would provide heat.
You could add that into the actual garlic butter mixture itself too. When you sprinkle on the cheese and bake the bread to a golden brown I wouldn’t let it get too browned, leave it stringy and ooey gooey. Don’t forget the cajun garlic butter sauce for the dipping too!
What to serve with garlic bread
I mean there are so many ideas I couldn’t possibly list them all but below are just a few of our favorites. If you wanted to prep a few at a time you could bake, cool and freeze the garlic bread to enjoy later too. You’d want to then individually wrap each piece in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. This helps prevent freezer burn and preserves the flavor.
Thawing and Reheating Garlic Bread
When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen garlic bread, follow these steps: Thaw garlic bread in the Refrigerator – Remove the desired number of garlic bread portions from the freezer and place them in the refrigerator to thaw. This process can take several hours or overnight.
- How to Reheat Frozen Garlic Bread
- Preheat your oven to 350° F
- Unwrap the thawed pieces from its foil or plastic wrap.
- Place the unwrapped bread directly on the oven rack or on a baking sheet.
- Heat for about 10-15 minutes of baking or until it is warmed through and the edges are crispy.
- Serve with diced fresh parsley on top and enjoy!
By following these freezing and reheating instructions, you can enjoy the convenience of having this on hand whenever you crave it, with the same great flavor and texture as when it was freshly baked.
- Instant Pot spaghetti – our fave and very popular on our site
- Make this smoked burgers recipe and use this cheese bread as a bun….OH MY I can’t even tell you how good it is!!
- This buffalo baked cauliflower recipe is fiery too if you want a meatless meal
We recently made air fryer garlic rolls using frozen pre-made rolls and that turned out amazing too!
Best Garlic Bread with Olive Oil
There is a printable recipe for spicy cheese bread below but here’s a quick step by step to begin with. I also have a 3 ingredient version below my mom made for years. You’ll want to; Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cut loaf in half.
- Mix room temperature softened butter, olive oil, garlic powder and cayenne together.
- Spread evenly on both halves of your french bread. Put loaf back together and wrap in tinfoil.
Put on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil, lay each half face up on baking sheet, top with cheeses, parsley and red pepper and broil for 2 more minutes. Serve with garlic dipping oil. For an 3 ingredient garlic bread I use an even mixture of the 3 things here.
- Butter – 1/2 stick room temp
- Minced garlic – 2 tbsp depending on how strong you like it, use raw or our air fryer garlic recipe
- Parmesan cheese – 1/4 blended together + some to sprinkle on top of each half
- Sprinkle of garlic salt for more garlic flavor
I don’t like to melt the butter rather I prefer to soften it to room temp and then use a fork to blend all 3 items together. Mix all together and spread across the bread that has been sliced lengthwise. Wrap it in tinfoil and put in a 300 oven or convection for about 15-20 minutes until everything is melted, then cut into pieces. Here’s our quick meatloaf recipe I serve with this often.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Garlic Bread with Roasted Garlic
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cut loaf in half.
- Mix butter, olive oil, roasted minced garlic and cayenne together and spread evenly on both halves of your french bread.
- Put loaf back together and wrap in tinfoil.
- Put on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil, lay each half face up on baking sheet, top with cheeses, parsley and red pepper and broil for 2 more minutes.
- Serve with garlic dipping oil.