Tofu air fryer recipe with a killer Asian marinade that takes these tofu bites out of this world delicious with a crispy outside and tender insides!
This marinated tofu air fryer recipe is amazing if I don’t say so myself. No breading required, just a to die for sauce to make crispy bites you can throw right into your mouth! Find this and more easy air fryer recipes here. (affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Tofu
It doesn’t matter what brand of pot you might have on your countertop. I have three different types and they all work the same as long as you preheat them first.
The only real differences between them is the size of the air fryer basket and color of the pot on the outside. I bought one just because it was white and would look pretty on my countertop. I just had to (guilty).
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
How is tofu good for you?
It is a great source of protein, has all nine amino acids in it, and is also a fabulous plant source complete with iron and calcium.
It is hard to compare the two exactly as each cut of beef and/or chicken will vary it’s nutritional content. BUT it IS an excellent source of plant based protein and fiber without the cholesterol and saturated fat.
If you’ve never tried it there isn’t much flavor at all. That is why you really need to add your own twist to it. This tofu marinade brings it to an all new level of WOW if you ask us.
Two types, and then there are slight variations in those categories. Silken and regular are the 2. The first is soft, like silk. Regular has a variety of firmness. You want extra firm to air fry tofu.
Air fryer tofu
My girls have been known to make this all by themselves when I am away. Of course they are teens so if yours are little you’d need to be present but these are a great after school snack for sure.
Ok so I was born and grew up in Hawaii and did eat a lot of rice and tofu there. I thought it was a “normal” every day food until I got older and lived in the states. I realized that wasn’t entirely true.
Some are a bit weirded out by it, and won’t even try. I will say the soft version isn’t my favorite BUT firm with a great sauce and crisped is amazing. There are TONS of different flavors you can add.
- I encourage you to try a few different tofu asian marinade creations and see which you like best.
The timing will vary just slightly depending on how crispy you want the outsides to be.
The most important thing is to press down when wrapped in some paper towels or cheesecloth to eliminate moisture at the beginning.
If you love that crunchy deep fried taste, but not that oily taste on your food you’ll love this tofu recipe! If anything you can just lightly spritz olive oil to really crisp up the outsides but that’s not even necessary.
Which tofu is best for frying?
Well we are air frying but the same answer holds true. You want to choose the refrigerated package labeled extra-firm. This will ensure that it doesn’t fall apart when marinated or cooked.
It’s a great recipe that requires no breading and if you use Tamari or coconut aminos and a bit of garlic powder it would be a gluten free option.
- I will tell you these were so good my girls thought these were amazing!!
- It could be used as a quick meal, air fryer appetizer or pop into your mouth snack.
Crispy tofu air fryer
Here’s a quick rundown but there is a printable recipe card with all the ingredients necessary at the bottom of this post you should refer to.
Time needed: 12 minutes.
Tofu Air Fryer
- Press the tofu
Wrap the tofu block in a light cheesecloth or a few paper towels that have been folded together. Press firmly but don’t break it apart. You want to remove as much moisture as possible with this step.
Cut into 1″ tofu cubes and put into a shallow dish.
- Tofu marinade
In a bowl mix together your marinade ingredients and pour on top of your tofu bites. Leave for 5-10 minutes so it can soak up the sauce. For gluten free, use Tamari instead.
Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes.
Spray inside of basket and place pieces inside in a single layer. Set time to 12 minutes, at minute 6 flip each piece over. Take out when they’re as crispy as you’d like them to be (may cook up to 15 minutes total for extra crispy)
Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions or chives.
OMG so delicious right?? My mouth is watering right now and I have to make these babies again soon.
This takes a total of just 20 minutes. Packed with protein they have tons of flavor with this Asian style sauce. I do not recommend after 6 minutes shaking the basket as they may break apart, just flip each one over.
How do you store leftover tofu?
If you have a bunch then only prepare what you’re going to cook. Once you press the water out you’ll need to eat it that day. If you just want to cook half put the other piece in a container with some cold water.
Store in the fridge for up to 4 days and use at that time. Keeping any longer will change and break down the consistency.
Do you heat up tofu?
If you want to just warm up your leftover tofu you can put it into the oven at 325 degrees F for about 10 minutes. If cut into cubes it won’t take quite that long either.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Looking for more easy under 30 minute recipes?
- We love these air fryer sweet potato chips alongside these hamburgers.
- Our bacon wrapped air fryer pork chops are out of this world with tons of flavor too.
- We have a bunch of air fryer chicken breast recipes to choose from. They go together quite well with these.
- OR serve them with some salmon in the air fryer.
Crispy tofu bites
Tofu Air Fryer
- Wrap the tofu block in a light cheesecloth or a few paper towels that have been folded together, press firmly but don't break it apart. You want to remove as much moisture as possible with this step.
- Cut your tofu into 1" cubes and put into a shallow dish.
- In a bowl mix together your marinade ingredients and pour on top of your tofu bites. Leave for 5-10 minutes so it can soak up the sauce.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Spray inside of basket and place pieces inside so they're not overlapping.
- Set time to 12 minutes, at minute 6 flip each piece over.
- Take out when they're as crispy as you'd like them to be and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions or chives.