This homemade butternut squash soup will remind you of your childhood and is the perfect feel good meal you can make year round. Using fresh squash and other vegetables you can make this smooth vegetarian soup for dinner and your kids are sure to love it too. A healthy and flavorful meal all in one bowl.
Ok so it is summertime and the vegetables are fresher than ever!! You want to make a smooth soup for dinner with lots of them and nothing else other than spices and broth, this homemade butternut squash soup is just what you need! My resolution is always to eat healthier, but I want tasty meals too so this hit the spot. Roasted vegetables that are delicious served as is really, but put into a food processor to make them smooth makes for a yummy soup too!
Eaten as is as you see here below would be amazing too right??!!
I will say we are a sucker for soup year round. I don’t care if it is summertime, I just love soup for dinner. Serve it with a side of rolls and you’re done for me. Period.
As always I am trying to eat healthier too, but I want to enjoy the taste of my food so that is important. The flavors of the vegetables together to make this creamy soup taste just amazing. If you want to be just a little bit bad you could even add a bit more heavy cream than is listed and oh my goodness is it good.
This is what you need to make homemade butternut squash soup
- Butternut squash
- Vegetable broth
- Heavy cream
Once you’re done enjoying this you’ve gotta’ try our other healthy soup recipes
Homemade Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 lbs butternut squash peeled, seeds removed, chopped into 1" pcs.
- 3 celery cut into 1" chunks
- 3 carrots cut into 1" chunks
- 1 tsp thyme
- 6 whole garlic cloves
- 1 onion cut into 1" chunks
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 c vegetable broth more at end to thin it out if you want
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large baking pan, add in vegetables and coat with olive oil. Add seasonings and gently toss to coat. Place into oven and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove pan from the oven and allow vegetables to cool slightly, remove skin from garlic. In small batches, place vegetables into a food processor with a a quarter cup of broth or so. Pulse until desired consistency. Pour into a pot. Repeat process until all vegetables have been pureed.
- Mix soup, and add in remaining broth, less for a thicker soup. Turn heat to medium to reheat soup. If desired, add in heavy cream for a creamy version of butternut squash soup.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉