Yep we’ve done it again! We started with how to cook a frozen chicken breast in oven but we just couldn’t stop there. It turned out so fork tender and melt in your mouth delicious that we just kept going. This is how to cook frozen chicken breast on the stove to perfection too. Take your pick and make a few this week!
We will show you here how to cook frozen chicken breasts, most specifically on the stovetop this time. It is a game changer y’all!! There are many times I do not think about what we are going to eat 24 hours later, I’m not always that together. With this you can still save dinner and nobody will be the wiser. 😉 (affiliate links present)
Frozen Chicken Breast Recipes
Frozen chicken breasts are raw poultry pieces that have been frozen at a temperature of 0 degrees F or below. Freezing helps to preserve the chicken’s quality and flavor, and can extend its shelf life for several months. You can buy fresh and freeze or buy a bag already rock hard in most grocery stores. A convenient option for meal prep and cooking.
When cooking frozen chicken breasts, it is important to ensure that they are fully cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees F to prevent foodborne illness. You can in fact thaw frozen chicken in microwave first, but it is not always necessary.
To cook them you can bake in the oven, follow our Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts instructions, cook them on the stovetop as you’ll see here, or grilled too. Depending on the method, whether they are boneless or bone-in, and the thickness of each cooking times can vary. It is important to use a meat thermometer to ensure that they are fully cooked.
Frozen Chicken Breasts on Stove
Ok so this is likely what you have in front of you right now, below. If you froze them yourself you probably need to separate them first. Store bought are almost always separated already. To do this just run your wad under some cold water and twist them apart. This is VERY important to have a successful meal.
Don’t want them to just be plain? We share how to season frozen chicken before cooking so you get the best flavors when done too. Of course you can certainly add some garlic salt, Old Bay or salt and pepper at the end too. A sauce like bbq or teriyaki is alway a fave for us, and the kids so choose what you like.
1. Baking at 400 degrees Fahrenheit on a baking sheet until cooked through.
2. Grilling works too over medium heat brushed with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Pan-frying with some olive oil in a pan over medium heat with a lid ajar works well to trap the heat and steam until tender. Then sear on the outside with seasonings.
According to the USDA, frozen poultry can be stored in the freezer for up to 9 months. However, it is best to use them within 6 months for the best quality.
We buy meat in bulk because it saves us money and we get really quality proteins that are local too. If you want to know how long you can freeze meat of all kinds we have a chart for you here to keep handy.
How Long to Cook Frozen Chicken Breast
To cook the chicken from frozen depends on several factors, such as the method of cooking, the thickness of the pieces, and the temperature of the oven or stove. If you sous vide frozen chicken it takes quite a while but is SO SO tender, worth the try too. Here are some general guidelines for cooking frozen pieces:
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 425 F or 218 C. Place pieces on a baking sheet and bake frozen chicken breasts for 20-25 minutes, or until they reach a safe internal temperature
- Stovetop: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of oil or butter to the pan. Place the rock hard breasts in the pan and cook for 8-12 minutes on each side, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F
- How to grill frozen chicken: Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Place the frozen chicken on the grill and cook for 7-8 minutes on each side until tender and a safe temperature.
Slow cooker frozen chicken can be done quite well to the point that you get the moistest shredded chicken ever and don’t have to thaw chicken beforehand. Depending on the size you’re looking at 6-8 hours. Once it falls apart when pulled apart with 2 forks it is done.
Very little broth is even necessary. Just set in a single layer with seasoning and a bit of liquid and go! There is literally no difference in timing between fresh and Crockpot frozen chicken breasts timing.
How to Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts on Stove
You can use any sort of pan but a cast iron skillet is literally my favorite. If you don’t have one I suggest that you get a 12″ and start using it. The more often the better it will become seasoned and everything you cook in it beyond that is so much tastier.
- In a skillet over medium heat add oil to warm.
- Set in frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts and add half seasonings to the top.
- Set lid on top slightly off set so it is not sealed shut.
- Allow to cook for 8 minutes.
- Flip to the other side and sprinkle other half of seasonings on to the other side.
- Cover slightly ajar with lid again for another 8 minutes or until thickest part reaches 165 degrees F.
Use an instant read thermometer to ensure the temp inside is at 165. Then turn heat off, keep lid on and let rest for 10 – 15 minutes before serving and slicing.
How to Cook Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
I hope we have answered this question for you in many ways. Below uses the stove, try that one first as everyone has one of those. The only one we haven’t gone over yet is air fryer frozen chicken breast, that surprisingly works quite well if you want to try that as well. I would say that it doesn’t get as tender inside as in a Crockpot.
If you like a bit of crisp on the outside of your poultry though it is a good way to go. Seasonings stick quite well too with that sear.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Frozen Chicken Breast on Stove
- 1 pan
- 2-4 chicken breasts boneless skinless is best
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- In a skillet over medium heat add oil to warm. Set in frozen chicken breasts and add half seasonings to the top. Set lid on top slightly off set so it is not sealed shut.
- Allow to cook for 8 minutes, then flip to the other side and sprinkle other half of seasonings on to the other side. Cover slightly ajar with lid again for another 8 minutes or until thickest part reaches 165 degrees F.
- When to a safe temp. turn heat off, keep lid on and let rest for 10 minutes before serving and slicing.