Here is how you make the best antibacterial DIY cleaning wipes for your house that smell amazing! Make them reusable or not to clean up all the spills and eliminate germs in your home.
If you’re like me you use a lot of wipes! I haven’t had children in diapers for over 8 years but every room has wipes for sure. I have them in my car, some in my purse, and literally in every room of the house I feel. I was kinda’ done buying them in bulk to use around the house to clean up spills so I finally got around to making these DIY cleaning wipes that work great and save me a ton of money too! (originally published 5/18, affiliate links present)
- Of course I still have small packages in my car and purse but around the house I didn’t really need prepackaged wipes. I felt like making them myself was the way to go there!
In addition to saving money (which I love) I was able to add amazing scents using essential oils which I love.
** Note, all of these products should be kept away from animals and children for safety reasons.
These are great for a lot of reasons. If you are a teacher and in need of cleaning desks at the end of the day, or a parent, they work great.
I always suggest using items you already have around the house as far as the jar and ingredients go. If you don’t have everything I will provide links to purchase them online as well below.
- I use them when I work through our monthly cleaning schedule checklists here.
- If you have a bit of time on your hands, or want a feasible way to work through every room in your home, I suggest printing those out.
If you are in need of how to make homemade antibacterial wipes here is the recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rubbing alcohol (at least 70% strength)
- or if you just want to clean and not necessarily disinfect you can use vinegar
- 1 tbsp liquid detergent or dish soap
- Micro fiber cloths
- A large air tight jar, spray bottle, or size you’d like to use
- 6 drops lavender oil
- Double or triple these amounts to make as much as you’d like.
- Submerge cloths in liquid, secure lid and shake.
- Take out and use one at a time, or spray mixture and use cloths to clean surfaces.
Yes you can add a few drops of essential oils to this mixture for scent as well. That part is entirely up to you but I like the addition of one.
The above “recipe” is great for cleaning and disinfecting surfaces.
If you want to make homemade hand sanitizer, mix these ingredients together.
- 1 cup of isopropyl alcohol
- should be 91% pure
- ½ cup of aloe vera gel
- 15 drops of tea tree oil
- this is known as an antibacterial essential oil
- I was late to the game when it came to using these little bottles.
- You can read my essential oils 101 post about my journey here. I will say they work amazingly well with these do it yourself cleaning cloths.
Of course it is totally up to you which essential oils you use, this one is probably my all time favorite!
This is what you’ll need to make these DIY cleaning wipes
The recipe below is not necessarily antibacterial and germ fighting, rather primarily focused on cleaning surfaces.
- 1 glass jar
- 4 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp. castile soap
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil – or any other combo of oils you desire
- Reusable cloth wipes
Directions to make homemade cleaning wipes
- Add 1/2 your water to the glass container
- Add your soap
- Add 10 drops of each oil and mix well
- Cut your reusable wipes in half
- Roll each one up and put into your container standing up as seen in pics above
- Add the rest of your water
- Close the lid tightly and shake well
- Use, rinse, put back into container and reuse over and over again!
If you go ahead to make these diy cleaning wipes let us know what scent you added and if you did anything differently!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉