If you’re looking for a really easy Crock Pot Express split pea soup recipe I have it for you! Throw everything in your fancy pressure cooker including dry peas and it is done in just 18 minutes! Fresh homemade split pea soup has never been so easy and tasted so good, it will be your favorite too I bet!
I don’t have a lot of time to cook nowadays. With three kids and working full time it means that meals have to be done in less than 30 minutes, but I still like to make homemade soups and dinners whenever possible. If you have one of these fancy pressure cookers too you know what a lifesaver it is and I assure you you’ll love our easy Crock Pot Express split pea soup recipe as much as we have. It is one of many comfort food meals listed on our Crock Pot Express recipes page. (affiliate links present, published 2/18)
Crockpot Express Split Pea Soup Recipe
This is what you do first. Now if you want to make a vegetarian split pea recipe in your pressure cooker then just leave out the ham, no problem. It will turn out just as good believe me. 😉
You just want to saute/brown the onions a bit so they soften before adding all the other ingredients. This really is a healthy soup that my oldest daughter asks for regularly (and we’re having it for lunch right now).
You can pack it full of vegetables. We added 1 carrot and 2 stalks of celery for this batch but add as many as you like. As for the tenderness of the carrots it is up to you. If you like them really soft then slice them thinner and thicker for a firmer texture.
As for the smoothness that is your preference as well. We like a little texture left with the peas so 17-18 minutes is great timing. If you want them REALLY cooked down I’d set it for closer to 19 minutes but the longer you cook it the softer the other veggies will get so keep that in mind.
This is what you need to make this easy Crock Pot Express split pea soup recipe
- Dry split peas – you can find some here
- Vegetable broth – I have used 1/2 this and 1/2 chicken broth too when that is all I had on hand and it tasted fantastic as well
- Ham – optional but great with diced ham steak throughout the year, bacon bits are yummy too
- Olive oil
- Salt – optional, amt. depends on taste really, I don’t add much personally
I make this a lot with leftover ham after the holidays.
Split Pea Soup with Dry Split Peas
Keep this recipe handy for chilly days or when you want a feel good comfort soup for dinner. Just pair it with some warm rolls and you have a complete meal!
- Note – it is best served immediately, saves well, but when reheated will probably need to be thinned out again with a little more broth. 😉
Looking for another great meal?
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Crock Pot Express Split Pea Soup
- 42 oz vegetable broth
- 2 c dry split peas
- 1 c ham diced, optional
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots cut into dials
- 2 stalks celery cut
- 1 tsp salt
- Turn Crock Pot Express to the brown/saute function and add olive oil, diced onions and ham. Cook down a bit until onions are softened.
- Press stop button to turn off.
- Add all other ingredients listed and stir.
- Put lid on and close steam valve.
- Set to soup setting (high is automatically chosen for you) for 18 minutes.
- Do a quick release and enjoy, can sprinkle more salt on top if desired. Try first and see if you want more (we like as is).