Buffalo chicken dip Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi style. Any pressure cooker will do to make this cream cheese spicy chicken dip appetizer. If you loved our pressure cooker chicken dip this adds some spice into the mix!
Looking for the best Super Bowl appetizer? This Buffalo chicken dip Instant Pot style is it. A hearty and spicy cream cheese dip you can pair with crackers or vegetable sticks. Use leftover or rotisserie chicken to add protein and enjoy with your favorite group of friends. Great Instant Pot recipe to start your get together. (affiliate links present)
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Have you made this delicious Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip in the oven before?? I had it years ago at a friends house and I just couldn’t stop thinking about it. Years later when I got a pressure cooker I thought, you must be able to make it even faster this way…and it was.
If you want to make a version with mayonnaise instead of cream cheese, follow our dairy free buffalo chicken dip recipe instead. It’s to die for as well and perfect for those who can’t handle lactose.
The kids thought I was a genius. 😉 It even reheated the next day quite well so I could snack on the rest myself. You can make this as an easy Ninja Foodi recipe or Crockpot Express as well, the brand doesn’t matter.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
Ninja Foodi Buffalo Chicken Dip
You will want some kind of hot sauce for this. There are several brands out there that are quite popular. Of course you will likely find a store brand on the shelf as well, many times they are quite similar but cheaper. If you want to use the red hot brand you can find it here.
There are usually a variety of heat levels too, so keep that in mind when choosing. They typically vary from mild to out of this world very spicy. I am more of a medium kinda’ gal, and want to actually taste the flavors vs. my tongue being on fire. Choose whichever you wish.
Red Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip
If you have bought a tub of this (or the Publix buffalo chicken dip) at the grocery store and heated it at home, it’s pretty good. Making it fresh at home though is another animal. I think the biggest difference is the consistency and texture of the meat.
Sitting in the sauce on the shelf makes it much softer and comes in small shredded pieces. I like larger chunks, and fresher.
Trader Joe’s Buffalo Chicken Dip
You can see our leftovers here. It is a great next day, I don’t want to throw this meat away, treat or make it on purpose with a rotisserie chicken. If you go this route you can make two dishes…..this and our Instant Pot chicken and rice for dinner too.
- Cream cheese block that has been softened is best
- Diced, cooked shredded chicken breast or even leftover pulled pork would be incredible
- Using leftover chicken from the night before is great too so nothing goes to waste
- Buffalo sauce
- Milk, use less for thicker and add a bit more at the end to thin it out
- Minced garlic is a must in every recipe creation of mine
- Shredded cheese layer on top makes it look and taste great, sharp cheddar is my fave
- Green onions make for a great garnish, I throw some into the mix too
Then you will want things like crackers, celery sticks, small cuts of carrots, pretzel rods and sliced bruschetta for serving. You could use a ladle when it’s done to serve some inside small ramekins with these items on individual charcuterie boards. Everyone will get a real kick out of that for sure!
Vegetarian Buffalo Chicken Dip
Of course you can make this without meat as well if you’d rather. I mean I think that is the best part but if you are serving several different audiences you might want two choices. Use the same recipe posted below but without the protein.
Ready to serve this up as a game day appetizer? Follow our quick and easy dip recipe below. Full ingredient list and instructions at the bottom but here is a quick rundown:
- Put all ingredients in your pot except the shredded cheese & I only half of the diced green onions. I would start with 1/4 cup of milk. You can add more later to thin it out or make it less spicy.
- Close your lid and seal the steam valve. Set to high pressure for 0 minutes. As soon as it comes to pressure and beeps do a quick release, pressure release by flicking valve, for the steam and lift the lid.
- Stir, taste, add more milk if you want to tame down the heat or thin it out.
- Pour into serving bowl and sprinkle shredded cheese and diced green onions on top to garnish.
- Serve when cheese is melted with crackers and celery sticks.
You could also leave it right in your pot for serving up or transfer to a prettier dish. OR transfer to the inner liner of your slow cooker and place your glass lid for that on the top to keep warm. That is a bit prettier than the inside of this metal pot. Set it to keep warm and people can enjoy this for several hours while your party is taking place.
Can you freeze buffalo chicken dip?
I suppose you could but ours has never lasted that long. If I do have some left I just put it into a bowl in the fridge and enjoy it the next day. You could do the same and freeze it. To reheat I would let it defrost in the fridge overnight and then microwave after that for about 1 minute.
If you want to add more cheese to the top, do so in the last 30 seconds of time so the whole dish can get hot. Store crackers that are left in airtight freezer bags so they stay nice and crispy. Veggies should be stored separate and kept in the refrigerator.
How long is buffalo chicken dip good for?
If you let it cool for at least 15 minutes so it’s at room temperature and then transfer to a covered dish that is best. Keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. You could sprinkle some crumbles of blue cheese on top when reheated to enjoy it again, that gives it another great kick of flavor.
Ready to give this easy recipe a whirl now?
Want to make this into more of a meal to enjoy? We have cooked all sorts of chicken in a pressure cooker. This one is fast since the meat is typically precooked, just like our Instant Pot buffalo chicken soup!
Printable recipe is available for you to download below. If you add other items of YUM to the mix let me know so we can try it on the next go around!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Buffalo Chicken Dip Instant Pot
- Place all ingredients except the shredded cheese & only half diced green onions into the pressure cooker. I would start with 1/4 c milk and you can add more later to thin it out or make it less spicy.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 0 minutes. (will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure) As soon as it comes to pressure and beeps let the steam out and lift the lid.
- Stir, taste, add more milk if desired to tame down and/or thin it out. Pour into serving bowl and sprinkle shredded cheese and diced green onions on top to garnish.
- Serve with crackers and celery sticks.