This is the best chocolate mug cake recipe ever that takes just one minute in the microwave to cook and is perfect for one or make a batch and enjoy with a group of people making them to order. Topped with Jello pudding frosting they are a little bite of heaven and super moist too. Our favorite mug cake.
Have you ever made cake in the microwave……it’s seriously SO easy and fun to do! The other day when we were barbecuing I thought it would be nice to make a quick cake that was easy to serve. If I portioned it out into coffee mugs everyone would have their own “piece” which would make for an easy dessert for an outdoor get together, and my chocolate cake recipe with mayonnaise would be just the right one to use (the moistest cake you will ever try)!! Here’s how you make the best chocolate mug cake with Jell-O frosting to top it off. 😉 This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. (originally published 8/15)
If you’ve never made cake in the microwave this will be a real eye opener and you may not go back to turning your oven on during the Summertime ever again to bake one!
It literally takes ONE minute to cook and let’s just say the kids LOVE it this way (ok I am partial to it myself too)! First thing first, let’s head to the store to get what we need!
When you head into Walmart you can see they are all set up for Summer grilling season!
What you will need for best chocolate mug cake recipe with Jell-O pudding frosting is
- 1 container Kraft Real Mayonnaise (regular, not low fat variety)
- 1 small box of Jell-O instant pudding mix (vanilla works best for this chocolate cake recipe, found in baking aisle)
- 1 tub Cool Whip (found in the freezer section of Walmart near the frozen pie crusts)
- 1 pkg. powdered sugar
- 1 box cake mix with pudding included inside the mix (chocolate flavor for this one)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
Here’s a quick look at how we’re going to make it, then I will give you a step by step. 😉
Now that you have the general idea, let’s get to baking the best chocolate mug cake with mayonnaise!
- First you want to combine your boxed cake mix with 2 eggs, 1 cup of water, and 1 cup of Kraft Real mayonnaise. That is ALL you need to make your cake!
- Now get out a coffee mug (traditional size) and fill about 1/4-1/3 way full (if more than that it will overflow).
- Now….put your mug in the microwave (about 1/3 c. batter) with a paper towel underneath (to catch spills) and cook for 1 minute.
- Make sure to watch it especially when you put the first one in to make sure they don’t overflow. If they are beginning to just pause the microwave, check on it and on your next one just put a bit less batter in.
- It will rise high like in the video but typically won’t overflow if it’s only filled 1/4 of the way, then it will deflate and look like this when you take it out. This chocolate cake with mayonnaise recipe is seriously so easy and the moistest cake you will ever try!
Now this is how you make Jell-O pudding frosting to go on top. I have made this for other cakes and it is seriously SO tasty and simple to do….the kids can help too. 😉
- Just combine 1 cup of cold milk with the package of Jell-O instant pudding and whisk together for a good minute or so.
- Then, empty the entire tub of Cool Whip together with your Jell-O mixture and you’re done!!!
- You can just put a dollop on your cakes right then and there or if you are saving for later or want to make then swirly pretty then scoop the mixture into baggies, zip them shut and when you’re ready just squeeze them on top.
- I put baggies in the refrigerator for a bit while I am cooking my meal to get them cold and they swirl better that way too.
Now….enjoy yourself outside while you’re grilling, eat some yummy food on the barbecue, and when you’re done the cakes will be already done. Just grab the frosting you’ve made out of the refrigerator (it will be nice and chilled by now), squeeze a dollop on top with a little fruit slices if you choose and just wait for the Oooohhhhhhhs and Ahhhhhhs!!
I like to put a few slices of fresh fruit on top of desserts I make and these fresh cherries from Walmart I grabbed during my trip were just the ticket for this dessert….added a really nice touch and tasted delicious on top too!
If you only use half the batch of the best chocolate mug cake just cover it and put it in the fridge to make the next day too.
For more great recipes featuring Kraft products make sure to check out their FREE digital cookbook here. And check out our other mug desserts below too:
What has been your favorite grilling and/or dessert recipe this Summer??