We made this easy dairy free pressure cooker coconut chicken with curry last night and it turned out amazing! A creamy Instant Pot chicken with vegetable dish served as a soup or on top of rice. Try our Thai style coconut chicken yourself and let us know what you think!
So my husband needs dairy free Instant Pot recipes and that has been a little bit of a struggle for me to create because I’m so used to using milk products to create creamy soups and dishes, but this pressure cooker coconut chicken actually turned out really yummy! In just 3 minutes it’s done cooking and ready to eat. Thicken the sauce if desired and dinner is served! This is my husbands favorite amongst all our Instant Pot recipes.
Just because it’s dairy free doesn’t mean pressure cooker coconut chicken isn’t creamy and delicious!
I love adding vegetables into my main dish. Cooking everything in one pot is great too for ease at the end of the meal. These snap peas were perfectly tenderness when it was done.
Usually I don’t incorporate meat and vegetables when cooking in my Instant Pot because veggies take very little time to cook. Meat obviously takes a lot longer. But snap peas need a bit more time so cutting the chicken into bite size pieces and precooking it a bit made them cook together perfectly.
Whether you’re looking for a new dish or have someone with dietary restrictions at home like we do, this easy homemade pressure cooker coconut chicken recipe is really yummy.
This is what you’ll need to make pressure cooker coconut chicken dinner
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – I used 2 medium sized but 3 would be okay too
- Bell pepper
- Snap peas – fresh
- Fresh cilantro
- Chiles – I buy canned diced, mild
- Soy sauce
- Coconut milk
- Cornstarch – if you want to thicken it at the end
- Garam masala & curry powder – optional, add 2 tsp. each when you add spices, if you want to add bold flavors
Pressure Cooker Coconut Chicken
- 1 lb chicken boneless, skinless, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1/2 tsp salt may want to add a bit when done too, depending on preference
- 1/4 c cilantro fresh, diced
- 1 c snap peas fresh, ends removed
- 1.5 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 4 oz chiles canned, diced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar heaping
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch optional, to thicken
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and set to saute.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and dice your onion, add to your pressure cooker and cook until outsides of chicken pieces are white and pink is gone (doesn't have to be completely cooked thru).
- Turn pressure cooker off.
- Add soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, ginger, and salt. Stir to coat chicken with spices. If you choose to add garam masala and curry add them now too and stir to combine.
- Add in diced bell pepper, can of chiles, cilantro, snap peas and coconut milk and gently stir to combine.
- Put lid on and close steam valve.
- Set to pressure, high, for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release.
- If you want liquid to thicken add 1/2 cup of hot liquid in pot to a small bowl with 1.5 tbsp. cornstarch and whisk together. Pour back into pot and slowly stir it in.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes or so to thicken more if desired.
- Serve as is or on top of white rice.