Chex muddy buddies recipe is great for a party or gift idea. Add mix ins for every holiday to add some color to this crunchy peanut butter dessert. If you’ve never made this addicting snack some call puppy chow you are in for a real treat. Beware because you’ll want to finish the whole bowl!
Have you ever made muddy buddies or puppy chow as some people call it? It is a great peanut butter snack that can be made into gifts or served at a party. This one was made for St.Patricks Day using Lucky Charms, add pink for Valentine’s Day or any other holiday. (originally published 2/16, affiliate links present)
I love throwing together quick easy desserts like this one. They’re mouth watering and simple enough for my kids to make with me.
- We modified it by adding mix ins.
If you just want to make a smaller batch you can just half the recipe you see here and enjoy.
- This muddie buddie recipe is so yummy!
- When put in a mason jar with a cute tag it makes a great gift idea for Teachers and anyone else who likes sweets too!
An easy snack you can pair with rice or even chocolate Chex cereal nowadays. We call it muddy buddies but others refer to it as puppy chow.
Why is it called puppy chow?
- I suppose it is because it closely resembles dog food?? As you can see, it starts with Chex or Crispix cereal (rice or corn varieties, both are gluten free.
- It’s then coated in a mixture of peanut butter, chocolate, butter, and dusted with powdered sugar which gives it a dog food look. 😉
I like to use a microwaveable bowl to microwave chocolate so the kiddos can help out too. It’s a no bake dessert which we love because that means quick!
Chex Muddy buddies recipe
- Rice Chex cereal
- or any other variety they offer
- Peanut butter – creamy
- don’t use natural that separates
- White chocolate chips
- haven’t tried with semi sweet or milk chocolate chips but you could
- Powdered sugar
- Gallon Zipper Bag
- Add ins
- Lucky charms marshmallows
The original recipe can be found on the side of the rice Chex cereal box.
Peanut butter recipe no bake
- Pour Chex into a large bowl so it’s ready for you to pour mixture over cereal and stir.
- Put butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips in a bowl and microwave about 30 seconds.
- Stir contents, then heat for 30 seconds longer, then stir again. Do this another 30 seconds longer or until mixture is liquidy.
- Stir in vanilla now, then drizzle over cereal.
- Gently stirring until evenly coated with your cereal or Bugles chips (seen above), you’ll then pour this into a gallon ziploc baggie.
- Add powdered sugar, seal closed and gently toss together.
- Pour into bowl and enjoy!
- Store in airtight containers at room temperature if you have leftovers.
How long does muddy buddies last?
Puppy chow stays pretty fresh in an air tight container for 1-2 weeks but best fresh!
Where did muddy buddies originate?
- This powdered sugar homemade sweet snack originating in the United States, we believe in the Midwest.
- It goes by other names too such as; Monkey Munch, Reindeer Chow, the list goes on and on really.
- If you jazz yours up for the holidays you should come up with your own creative name like “heart bark” for Valentine’s Day??
Just by adding different sprinkles, marshmallows, candies, and/or snack mix ins like peanuts or pretzels can alter this mix in a variety of ways.
- We hope you like our fun muddy buddy recipe variations shown here.
- You can also try our unicorn muddy buddies.
Looking for another drooling treat to try?
- Our no bake scotcheroos use peanut butter chips and butterscotch too.
- And our butterscotch haystacks Easter nest treats are always a hit during Easter time.
- Then move on to these better than sex bars and OH MY you’ll be in heaven.
- If you’re all alone but want something sweet, make this one minute chocolate chip cookie in a mug too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Muddy Buddies Recipe
- Add Chex cereal in a large bowl, and then put the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in another bowl and microwave it for 1 minute. If not smooth and melted, microwave for another 30 seconds until melted and smooth.
- Add the vanilla to your chocolate mix and stir. Pour that mixture over your cereal and coat it thoroughly. Put the coated cereal into a large baggie (gallon size) and add your powdered sugar. Gently shake until all the cereal pieces are evenly coated.
- Pour all of that on parchment paper that’s been placed on a baking sheet to cool.
- Once it is cool it will stick and be hardened a bit, then you can transfer it into a bowl and add you add ins like Lucky Charms or something else.
Some people call this puppy chow, but either way you name it it is one of the most delicious (and a bit addicting) snack / dessert mixes ever!!
Have you ever had it…if so what have you added in to make it special for a gift or holiday??
Jazz it up for Christmas time, just use colored jimmies and small candies you find where the sprinkles are in the baking aisle!
For Easter you could use small peeps, jelly beans, or these small marshmallows….use your imagination!