2 Instant Pot grits recipes and step by step directions so you too can make this cheesy savory pressure cooker breakfast or as a side dish. A favorite dish for many and now you can make them in no time at all using this simple recipe and instructions. Enjoy friends!
I have an easy way to make Instant Pot grits right at home now! If you make homemade grits but are using the stovetop, this method this is so much quicker. Some have their own favorite ingredients to make this classic Southern dish. Please stick to yours if you have one and just use this post to see how long you cook it for. If you haven’t made it before but have always wanted to I will include an easy grits recipe below you may use too. Your choice. 😉 One of our favorite new Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom you can now enjoy. (originally published 2/18, affiliate links present)
- There are so many different add ins when it comes to Instant Pot grits really. Cheese is our favorite so that’s what we’re sharing but let your imagination go wild!
I like cheesy Instant Pot grits with butter and some chives. Others prefer no cheese but with some bacon. Whether you like them loaded up, simple, thick, or creamier hopefully this post will help you understand how to make them in your pressure cooker so you can enjoy them more often, and quicker the next time you make them and thereafter. 😉
1st way here – 2nd method in recipe card below. If you’d like to make pressure cooker grits using the PIP or pot in pot method you’ll need this pan that fits inside – 6 or 8 qt
- 1 c. old fashioned grits – this is what we use
- 3 tbsp. butter – melted
- 2 1/2 cup water or broth
- 1 c. cheese
- 1 c. milk – 2% or whole milk is best
- 2 tbsp chives are optional
- Pour 1.5 c of water inside your pressure cooker. Put trivet on bottom.
- Inside your inner pot add grits, melted butter, 2.5 c. water, salt, chives, and pepper if desired. Mix together
- Put foil over that pot and secure tightly on top. Lower on to your trivet and close your lid and steam valve.
- Push multigrain pressure cook setting, for 15 minutes cooking time. Then press start.
- Do a quick release and carefully lift pot out.
- Uncover and add shredded cheese. Stir until melted. Add milk and stir, add more milk or broth if you want it thinner.
This is what you’ll need to make these easy Instant Pot grits
- Pressure cooker
- Stone ground grits
- Water – or chicken broth
- Add ins
- Cheddar cheese
- Bacon bits
- Salt and pepper
- Heavy cream
The recipe below requires natural release vs. quick
- Not only are the recipes different but what you add inside varies a lot (like shrimp and grits) it really comes down to personal preference.
Instant Pot Grits
- Put butter into pressure cooker and set to saute, allow it to melt.
- Add grits and cook for a few minutes, then add water and salt.
- Close lid and steam valve. Set to high pressure for 10 minutes, then allow it to naturally release for 10 minutes. Release remaining pressure. Turn pot off.
- Stir in 1 c of your milk and 1/2 c of your cheese to start with. If you want it thinned out add the rest of your milk, and/or more cheese if you want more (we like 1 full cup).
- If you want to thicken it up put the lid back on and allow it to sit and soak up more of the milk. Serve!