2 Instant Pot grits recipes and step by step directions so you too can make this cheesy savory pressure cooker breakfast or as a side dish. A favorite dish for many and now you can make them in no time at all using this simple recipe and instructions. Enjoy friends!
I have an easy way to make Instant Pot grits right at home now! If you make homemade grits but are using the stovetop, this method this is so much quicker. One of our favorite new Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom you can now enjoy. (originally published 2/18, affiliate links present)
Some have their own favorite ingredients to make this classic Southern dish. Please stick to yours if you have one and just use this post to see how long you cook it for. If you haven’t made it before but have always wanted to I will include an easy grits recipe below you may use too. Your choice. 😉
- There are so many different add ins when it comes to Instant Pot grits really. Cheese is our favorite so that’s what we’re sharing but let your imagination go wild!
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
I like cheesy Instant Pot grits with butter and some chives. Others prefer no cheese but with some bacon. Whether you like them loaded up, simple, thick, or creamier hopefully this post will help you understand how to make them in your pressure cooker.
Then you can enjoy them more often, and quicker the next time you make them and thereafter. 😉 It doesn’t matter what brand of pot you have either. Use a Crockpot Express, Mealthy, or Foodi using the pressure cook function.
Ninja Foodi Grits
Pressure Cooker Grits Pot in Pot
1st way here – 2nd method in recipe card below. If you’d like to make pressure cooker grits using the PIP or pot in pot method you’ll need this pan that fits inside – 6 or 8 qt
- 1 c. old fashioned grits – this is what we use
- 3 tbsp. butter – melted
- 2 1/2 cup water or broth
- One cup cheese
- 1 c. milk – 2% or whole milk is best
- 2 tbsp chives are optional
- Pour 1.5 c of water inside your pressure cooker. Put trivet on bottom.
- Inside your inner pot add grits, melted butter, 2.5 c. water, salt, chives, and pepper if desired. Mix together
- Put foil over that pot and secure tightly on top. Lower on to your trivet and close your lid and steam valve.
- Push multigrain pressure cook setting, for 15 minutes cooking time. Then press start.
- Do a quick release and carefully lift pot out.
- Uncover and add shredded cheese. Stir until melted. Add milk and stir, add more milk or broth if you want it thinner.
How do you make grits not stick to the pot?
Use a non stick pot and you can even spray it lightly with non stick cooking spray to ensure they slide right out. Not making them too thick helps as well, you can always thin them out with milk and/or butter.
This is what you’ll need to make these easy Instant Pot grits
- You’ll need a Pressure cooker
- I HIGHLY recommend getting this non stick pot
- You can make them in your Ninja Foodi or Crockpot Express too
- Stone ground grits
- Water – or chicken broth
How do you add flavor to grits?
There are all sorts of favorites out there and you may have a family favorite that you would shout to the rooftops, go with that. If you are looking for some new ideas try these:
- Cheddar cheese
- Bacon bits
- Salt and pepper
- Heavy cream
Some like diced chives and/or bacon bits inside too. I mean think way outside of the box and go with it to see if that may become your new favorite combination.
The recipe below requires natural release vs. quick
- Not only are the recipes different but what you add inside varies a lot (like shrimp and grits) it really comes down to personal preference.
Time needed: 20 minutes.
Instant Pot Grits
Put butter into pressure cooker and set to saute, allow it to melt. Add grits and cook for a few minutes, then add water and salt.
Close lid and steam valve. Set to high pressure for 10 minutes, then allow it to naturally release for 10 minutes. Release remaining pressure. Turn pot off.
Stir in 1 c of your milk and 1/2 c of your cheese to start with. If you want it thinned out add the rest of your milk, and/or more cheese if you want more (we like 1 full cup). If you want to thicken it up put the lid back on and allow it to sit and soak up more of the milk. Serve!
After you’ve tried cheesy grits you should have our Instant Pot oatmeal with apples and cinnamon or chocolate oatmeal! If you want to make this and then create our popular cheese grits casserole that is another winner too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Grits
- Put butter into pressure cooker and set to saute, allow it to melt.
- Add grits and cook for a few minutes, then add water and salt.
- Close lid and steam valve. Set to high pressure for 10 minutes, then allow it to naturally release for 10 minutes. Release remaining pressure. Turn pot off.
- Stir in 1 c of your milk and 1/2 c of your cheese to start with. If you want it thinned out add the rest of your milk, and/or more cheese if you want more (we like 1 full cup).
- If you want to thicken it up put the lid back on and allow it to sit and soak up more of the milk. Serve!