How to make candied grapes in strawberry, cotton candy, lemon, cherry and other flavors. Fresh fruit dessert enjoyed as is or frozen as a cold treat. Using Jello you too can make this candy grapes recipe fat free dessert kids and adults both love.
Have you seen and wondered how to make candied grapes? It is way easier than you might think, and a delicious treat your kids will love. Pick up these 2 ingredients and make a load of this candy grapes recipe with your kids this weekend. They’ll think you’re a hero. (affiliate links present, originally published 5/22)
How to Make Candy Grapes
Maybe you’ve seen this trend on Pinterest or Tik Tok and wondered what all the hype was about. With just one bite you will be screaming from the rooftop too how amazing these are.
I mean it is fruit so it’s healthier than a candy bar for sure. Not quite as good as right out of the bag but we gotta’ change things up when you’re in the throws of mom life right?? These little boxes aren’t just for making that jiggly treat anymore y’all.
We’ve used Jello to make our pistachio pudding ambrosia recipe, great for potlucks or holidays. But if you’re having a barbecue these will surely be a real hit with all ages. Here’s how you make them…
Candied Grapes Recipe
First you’ll want to wait until these babies are in season. Spring and Summer time they will come out like gangbusters in your produce section. How to tell if grapes are ripe is to touch them. You want them to be firm, any give or mushy feel and they are a no go. Typically they will be larger in size too, that’s a good sign
Ripe green grapes will already be sweeter in nature which is what you want. I do love red grapes too in general but they aren’t ideal for coating grapes with Jello. I mean you totally can but the skins are firmer and a bit tougher which makes the texture not as appetizing and won’t allow the coating to stick as well.
How to Make Candied Grapes with Sugar
If you didn’t have these little boxes at home and didn’t want to go to the store you could use granulated sugar instead. With this you can really taste the flavors of the fruit itself and not add another. If you already have cotton candy grapes at the store I would recommend just that since they’re already so sweet.
What are candy grapes?
Some consider these to be genetically modified fruits that taste a lot like cotton candy. You can make them from “regular” ones from the store though that are organic or not this way. We will show you how to make that flavor as well though below if you are stuck on making your own.
First you’ll want to always rinse fruit under water. Since of course the stems are inedible let’s pull all of them off and dunk them into a bowl of water while you get the rest prepped. You just need a few small dishes to hold your powders. Choose a few so they are different colors and flavors of course.
How to Make Cotton Candy Grapes
You totally can do this at home with red or green from the store. You just use this cotton candy sugar to coat the outside. Or just choose a few boxes from the grocery store in the baking aisle with all the other Jello packets.
- Large bunch of grapes
- You’ll want a plate or baking sheet with parchment paper
- A bowl full of room temperature water or juice would even work is needed
- And then your Jello flavors or use these for sweet and sour patch candied grapes
- even crushed green apple jolly rancher candies could be used
That is really it y’all. Someone asked if Kool Aid would work the same, um no. Those don’t have any sugar in them so it wouldn’t be sweet at all and super tart.
Frozen Grapes with Jello
Now you will have to chill them after coating the outsides. You can do this in the fridge of course but my kids love love frozen grapes in general. If you haven’t tried this they turn out like little frozen fruit popsicles, so fun. As a side note they save a lot better this way too.
First you will need to still sit them on a flat surface separated so they don’t stick together for about an hour or two to harden. Then pull toothpicks out and you can transfer them into a freezer baggie. Then after school they can pull out a few at a time and enjoy for weeks at a time. Find them on sale and make a bunch at a time this way!
- First rinse fruit and remove stems from the grapes.
- Place them in a bowl of water. Open the jello boxes, pour the powder into individual cups or bowls.
- Use a toothpick to dip each wet grape into your favorite flavor of gelatin powder. Roll the grape to ensure it is completely covered.
- Place the grapes on a plate with parchment paper, then in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
- Can sit in freezer, then when frozen, remove toothpicks, pour into a freezer bag, enjoy one at a time.
- Remove the toothpicks from the grapes and enjoy!!
Super easy right?? It’s great during the summertime and especially for a quick and easy barbecue treat.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How to Make Candied Grapes
- 1 lb grapes fresh, green is best
- 4-5 boxes Jello different flavors
- Remove stems from the grapes. Place them in a large bowl of water. Open the jello boxes, pour the powder into individual cups or bowls.
- Use a toothpick to dip each wet grape into the jello powder. Roll the grape to ensure it is completely covered. Place the grapes on a plate with parchment paper on top, then in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more. (can sit in freezer, then when frozen, remove toothpicks, pour into a freezer bag, enjoy one at a time)
- Remove the toothpicks from the grapes and serve.