If you’ve never made homemade fruit snacks it’s easier than you think! Only 4 ingredients to make sweet jellies complete with Vitamin C and real fruit!
If you have kids you know how much they love fruit snacks! There are a ton of those packaged jellies in the stores but I bet you didn’t realize just how easy it is to make homemade fruit snacks right at home! Using real pureed fruit, real fruit juice and a bit of honey for sweetness you too can make these sweet snacks for your kids at home and they will absolutely love them like mine do! Special thanks goes out to Farberware for sponsoring this post so we could share how we make these homemade snacks with you.
This is what you’re going to need to make homemade fruit snacks for your kids
- A small pot – my small Farberware pot in my Neat Nest™ set works great
- Gelatin – unflavored, comes in a powder
- Fresh fruit – we used strawberries, could use frozen but thawed
- 100% fruit juice – we used a berry/apple blend, must be 100% juice
- Honey – for sweetness, optional but a good addition
- Silicone molds – we used a flower mold and building bricks seen here in yellow
- Cookie sheet – my smaller Farberware baking pan works great
Using a small pot with a non stick coating is important for this recipe so everything combines well and nothing sticks to the side in the process.
This set is…..
- Farberware Neat Nest (see how they nest inside each other and save tons of room in your cupboard) Nonstick cookware
- Shatter-resistant glass lids (that are dishwasher safe, thank you for that)
As a fun addition they are also partnering with the National Parks Foundation donating $100,00 annually which we love because we visit at least one new National Park each year…see which one we headed to this summer below. 😉
Fruit Snack Recipe
That’s really all you need. You will need to do the cooking but let your kids choose which type(s) of molds they might like to use…there are tons out there! There are two ways to do this.
They are both good but we think using pureed fruit brings a richer flavor to our homemade fruit snacks so we opt for that method.
Options for making your own homemade fruit snacks
- Use only 100% fruit juice – comes out more like jigglers
- Combine a combination of 100% fruit juice and pureed fruit – comes out more like fruit snacks with a bit more texture and flavor
Either way these on the go snacks are good. Believe me they won’t last long in your house. I even enjoy them as a sweet snack!
After combining your ingredients, whisking them together and bringing them almost to a slow boil you’ll pour them into your molds and freeze them for just 30 minutes!
The cookie sheet is a must so you avoid any spillage because the molds are very flexible and need to be kept flat during the freezing process. You only want to leave them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes just to get them to solidify, no longer or else they will become frozen rather than a jiggly fruit snack you’re looking for.
Pop them out of the molds and enjoy immediately, or store in a container and enjoy them all week long!
In my house with 3 girls, and myself enjoying them, they never last longer than a day…even if I make a double batch!
See how easy it is to make these strawberry homemade fruit snacks!
You can make any flavor you like too, I just use whatever is in season to get the best flavors….and they’re great for on the go snacks!
Like I said, we travel a lot as a family and love to head to new places. This year we went on an 8 day road trip to Yellowstone National Park, Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, and then stayed in Cody, WY before heading home.
It was the best trip we’ve taken so far!
There are many things I recommend when road tripping with kids but one big one is that you need lots of snacks…these homemade fruit snacks are great for times like these.
Stopping often is always a plus so pack your lunch each day along with a container of these strawberry gummies and make a day of it…oh and remember a change of clothes too because kids + fun usually means a bit of dirt. 😉
What flavor do you think you’ll try first??
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Homemade Fruit Snacks
- 2/3 c pureed fruit we used strawberries
- 1/3 c fruit juice must be 100% juice, we used an apple berry blend
- 8 tsp gelatin plain flavor
- 2 tbsp honey
- Wash, cut off stems, and puree fruit. We used strawberries but you could easily use raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries.
- Put your smallest Neat Nest pot on the stove on medium heat.
- Add your 1/3 c of 100% fruit juice
- Add your 2/3 c of pureed fruit and honey (if you choose to add honey for a bit of added sweetness). Whisk together.
- Slowly add your gelatin powder 1 -2 tsp at a time whisking to dissolve.
- Once all of your gelatin is added continue to whisk until all gelatin powder is dissolved and liquid just begins to bubble, then turn off heat and take pot off the stove.
- Pour your liquid into a measuring cup with a spout on it.
- Lay your silicone molds on a Farberware cookie sheet.
- Pour your liquid into the molds making sure not to overfill them.
- Put your cookie sheet with molds on top into your freezer for 30 minutes, pop them out carefully, then enjoy!