Here is an easy holiday cheese ball recipe you can make for any occasion! It’s the perfect appetizer or dessert for Easter or Christmas and any other time of year, all you have to do is change the colors and you’re ready. A cream cheese ball loaded with other yummy flavors to make this sweet dip paired with goodies.
When Easter or the holidays arrive I am all about snacking and desserts that are easy to put together but look really pretty. This holiday cheese ball is a simple treat to serve and depending on what holiday you’re in you can easily change it up with the colors of the season. (affiliate links present, originally published 3/18)
Best Sweet Cheese Ball
- Since it is Easter time now we have pastels lining the outside of this cream cheese ball.
- During Christmas you could use green and red M&Ms just as easily. Then make cake mix crinkle cookies with it.
- Use brown and yellow chocolate candies for Thanksgiving too.
- It is a really versatile and yummy appetizer or dessert to serve.
If you’ve never had a dessert dip they are not only delicious but so easy to make. It is great to keep on hand as a throw together treat when people come over, or served on an Easter charcuterie board.
They only require a few ingredients and minutes to put it together.
Philadelphia Cream Cheese Cheese Ball
I mean you don’t have to use this name brand, there is always a store brand available too. Typically the latter is cheaper and you can’t really tell the difference but Philadelphia cream cheese is probably the most well known of them all.
Holiday cheese ball
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Inside add ins
- mini chocolate chips
- crushed Andes mints
- crushed nuts
- dried cranberries
I mean you can use your own choice of outsides that you want but these turn out really pretty. If you don’t want to bother rolling it and stiffening in the fridge you can instead make cream cheese dessert dip that is in a softer form.
Cream Cheese Ball Recipe
- Outside options
- Side items for dipping
- Cute Easter platter for dips like this or this one is adorable for Christmas
Looking for more appetizer or side dishes? Our baked brie is amazing.
Of course you can use any kind of decorations on the outside you want. Roll your party appetizer in red white and blue sprinkles for Fourth of July.
Then you’ll have yourself an impressive snack for everyone while you’re waiting for the main meal to be served.
How do you serve a cheese ball?
- It’s best at room temperature served with crackers
- Make a charcuterie board with chunks of cheddar cheese and this cheese mixture in the middle!
- Serve with halved and/or toasted bagels
- Pretzels work great
- Pita triangles are fun
- Or, make a dessert bar during a holiday party full of different sweets and include this holiday cheese ball and Instant Pot bread pudding.
Put a knife next to it so people can cut a bit off. Then grab a few Nilla wafers or pretzels even to get that salty and sweet flavor we all love. Having some football food? Make this football cheese ball.
How many days in advance can I make a cheese ball?
To make it ahead of time do not roll in the outer toppings, do this just before it is served. After forming it, plan to chill it in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap for at least several hours. This can be done for up to six days though too. This will give it plenty of time to firm up so it’s guaranteed to hold its shape.
- If you’re rolling it in candy, shredded cheese or green onions wait on that step.
- Take out of the fridge and allow to get just a bit tacky on the outside so items will stick well.
- Then roll in your ingredients and serve immediately for best results.
How long do cheese balls last?
The main ingredient in a cheese ball is cream cheese. This ordinarily lasts for a week or two in the fridge once it’s opened. If you’ve used fresh herbs, diced fruit, or other perishable ingredients the storage life might be as little as 24 to 48 hours.
Looking for other fun appetizer ideas?? Here’s a link to the best hot dip recipes.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Holiday Cheese Ball
- Put room temp. cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, mini chocolate chips (or other items you want inside the cheese ball) into a bowl and mix until combined well.
- Roll these blended ingredients into a ball using parchment paper on the outside and shaping it into a ball, or using hands.
- Roll cream cheese ball in colored chocolates or sprinkles to cover the outside.
- Place on plate or serving tray you want to use and put into the fridge for 1-2 hours so it can stiffen up.
- Take out and spread dipping items around cream cheese ball and serve.