Best fried pickle and ranch dip for chips, crackers or a spread for pinwheels. What to make with dill pickles for an appetizer with friends.
Fried pickle dip is addicting! If you have had this at a restaurant or bought at the store you can now make it yourself at home. Homemade but a very close copycat recipe to the ones you’ve tried in the past. Using store bought or homemade dill pickles it’s a great one. (affiliate links present)
Pickle Ranch Dip
I suppose you could use sweet pickles but that wouldn’t resemble what you likely had before. Personally if I don’t have any already made at home I like using Claussen. Vlassic is another popular brand but the latter aren’t as crunchy and crispy. Difference between the two is the refrigerated versions get their crisp because they weren’t cooked.
Choose whichever you wish but just my opinion which ones are best. Large chunks is what you’ll want if you want it like the packaged version. You don’t want any of the pickle juices or that will thin out your mixture. Thick is best.
We use dry Ranch dressing mix for a lot of different things because it offers so much flavor. For dinner you can make slow cooker ranch pork chops and use some more to make this as an appetizer too. There are 1 ounce packets you can buy or a larger container if you use it often as we do are cheaper.
Dill Pickle Dip
This isn’t just great served with regular bagged potato chips either, it is also great served with our crispy pasta chips too! You could use other pickled vegetables other than cucumbers but this is traditional. This is what you’re going to need to get started on this one;
- Sour cream or dairy free alternative
- 1 tbsp Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
- A bit of garlic salt and onion powder, or garlic powder
- Dill pickles chopped
- dill pickle relish works but I like big chunks best
- Chives diced
- Green onions diced
- 4 oz or half of a block of room temperature cream cheese
- or whipped cream cheese stirs together quite well too
- 1/4 cup regular or Panko breadcrumbs are optional on top to get that “fried” texture
I make this in a mixing bowl and then transfer it into a nicer looking dip bowl when serving. I like this best when it has been chilled for at least an hour after it’s done but that is up to you. To keep it longer when served you can set the bowl inside a larger bowl filled with ice.
Dairy Free Pickle Dip
If you have someone in your life, like I do, who cannot have dairy products that is okay. I am with you and have to adjust things in our house too. It is quite easy for this. I find that you have to seek out the stores that carry these things but they are more and more often nowadays.
I’ve found dairy free or lactose free cream cheese and sour cream at Super One and sometimes at Albertsons. For the sour cream if you can’t find it you could use plain Greek yogurt instead.
Pickle Chip Dip
If you want to make a variety of cool dips I would recommend our creamy cilantro dip too. I have a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post but here is a quick rundown for you.
- Whisk all ingredients except the pickles and breadcrumbs together until nice and smooth.
- Then gently fold in your chopped pickles.
- You can lightly season with fresh dill, salt and black pepper on the very top
- Refrigerate ideally for 1 hour, or longer, before serving.
Top with more diced pickles and bread crumbs for more of a “fried” taste to it. Serve with chips and crackers
Fried Pickle Dip
Looking for other great dip recipes for a party? Try our warm and bubbling shrimp rotel dip some time with this cooler one on the side. It is nice to have other finger foods available too though like;
- Salt and pepper zucchini chips are a really fun choice that even kiddos love, a vegetarian option too.
- Make a batch of our air fryer sweet potato chips or russet potato chips to serve on the side of this. A sweet and savory mixture is so my jam.
Now jump to the pickle and ranch dip recipe explained below and let us know what you think!! If you do have leftovers it will stay for a few more days. Leave it in the bowl and place saran wrap over the top but not across. You want to reduce the air inside so touch the top with it and then wrap around the bowl itself.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Fried Pickle and Ranch Dip
- Whisk all ingredients together EXCEPT pickles and bread crumbs. When it is smooth, gently fold in pickles.
- Refrigerate ideally for 1 hour before serving. Top with more diced pickles and bread crumbs for more of a "fried" taste to it. Serve with chips and crackers.