This is how you make salt and pepper zucchini chips 4 different ways!! Perfect vegetable side dish even your kids will love. Oven, deep fried and air fryer zucchini instructions make a crunchy outside with light seasoning.
Have you ever made salt and pepper zucchini chips at home?? They’re so great and easy to make!! If you love Carl’s Jr.’s fried zucchini, or are looking for a new vegetable side dish the kids will love, this is it. You only need 4 items to make tempura batter, and you’re ready! (originally published 2/16, affiliate links present)
- There are two ways to do make batter, both are easy.
I’ve used boxed tempera batter at the store and it works quite well. BUT if you want to make your own there’s an easy tempera batter recipe below.
What you’ll need to make fried salt and pepper zucchini chips
- sliced into dials, I prefer thick vs. thin slices but that is up to you
- vegetable or olive oil but vegetable is cheaper
Then you’ll want to make this recipe for tempura batter using these ingredients
- Egg whites
- Salt and pepper
- could sprinkle with salt and vinegar too
Here is another way to make it…with a spiralizer!!
Directions for these:
- Slice your zucchini so they are the thickness you desire, or use this spiraletti
- I like them a bit thicker when they’re done so mine look like this.
- Put on a paper towel to absorb the water so your batter sticks
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on raw sliced zucchini pieces.
- Make the tempera batter as directed above.
- Put spiralized zucchini in the bowl with your batter.
- Put a drop of just tempera batter into the hot oil to test if it’s hot enough. It will immediately fry if it is ready.
- Have a paper towel in a bowl ready for them once they are flipped over and fried on both sides to a light brown color.
- Add salt and pepper again to the top.
Here is our air fryer zucchini chips recipe so you can try those too. This is what these look like.
Baked zucchini chips directions:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Slice 2-3 zucchini into 1/2″ pieces and put them on paper towels so a lot of the water is absorbed
- this will help your coating to stick
- Put them in a bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over all your pcs. and stir to coat
- Add enough Italian bread crumbs so all pieces are coated.
- Put coated zucchini chips on to a baking sheets with parchment paper
- keep in a single layer so they get as crispy as possible
- Sprinkle 3-4 tbsp. parmesan cheese on top of all pieces
- Bake until zucchini chips are tender and cheese is lightly browned. This will take approx. 15 minutes.
- Lightly sprinkle with vinegar for vinegar zucchini chips
Use gluten free Panko bread crumbs for a gluten free alternative to bread crumbs.
Below is the printable recipe for fried zucchini with tempera batter.
Salt and Pepper Zucchini Chips
- Just mix water, flour, and egg whites together in a bowl.
- If you'd like a lighter coating add a touch more water. If you like a thicker batter when cooked then add a bit more flour.
- Heat up a pan full of oil and wait until it sizzles when you add a drop of batter.
- Use a fork to dip veggies into batter and put into oil, flip when light brown and put on paper towel when done to absorb the oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper....and/or seasoned salt.
For more easy recipes and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook, sign up for my newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest!