This banana dump cake is easy to throw together and great if you love banana bread as much as we do. Drizzled with caramel sauce it’s a great dessert.
Yes we are all about easy dump cake recipes here at The Typical Mom and this banana dump cake is our latest dessert creation. It’s like layered banana bread packed with fresh fruit and topped with vanilla ice cream and/or caramel sauce on top when it’s done. Oh yes we did.
Why do I love dump cakes?
- They’re easy to throw together
- It’s simple to mix flavors and create your favorite dessert combinations
- Dump cake ingredients are great to have on hand in case company shows up unexpectedly
- Everyone loves them!
Here’s a basic step by step guide as to how I made both of these easy banana dump cake recipes – there are 2 ways
- Like I said, I used this banana quick bread – you could use homemade banana bread but that would kinda’ defeat the purpose of it being quick and all……
- Then I sliced 3 large bananas and laid them on the bottom so there were about 2 layers – I would use yellow bananas, not brown or they will just be mush at the end.
- I decided to add some crushed honey roasted pecans in between the two layers of sliced bananas – you could omit if you’d rather or use a different type of nut, walnuts might be good too.
- After the banana bread ingredients were mixed together I poured it across the pan so it was the same thickness all the way across.
- Then I baked it until it was lightly browned on the top and not over baked.
This is the first way that is in true dump cake form with just a few ingredients. It is egg-free which is important to some people, and similarly to traditional dump cakes it comes out dense on the top with the fruit on the bottom. The top photo is the outcome of this version, great with caramel or ice cream on top.
The recipe for this first egg free banana dump cake mixture is as follows:
- Box of quick banana bread mix
- 3 bananas
- 1/2 c. butter, melted
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. nuts if you choose to add those
- Lay slices of bananas on bottom of 13×9 pan
- Sprinkle nuts on top
- Mix banana bread mix with melted butter and milk
- Pour mix on top of bananas
- Smooth evenly across pan
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown
- Serve warm, flipped upside down, with a scoop of ice cream
Banana bread dump cake is a little like pineapple upside down cake in a sense because the goodness is on the bottom and once you scoop out a serving you’ll want to flip it over on to the plate so the bananas are on the top once it’s served.
Then….you’ve gotta’ add more goodness to the top.
Here’s what our second banana dump cake looked like when we added egg, it is fluffier than the previous one and bananas bake into the cake. Both are yummy, recipe card has the instructions for this version.
Tips for making the best banana dump cake
- Do not use brown bananas for the bottom
- Use two full layers of bananas, if you need 4 bananas to do that then go for it
- Do not over bake your banana bread topping
- Take it out immediately once the middle is not wet any longer, very lightly browned, insert a toothpick just inside the middle of the bread to check.
- Serve warm with toppings
- Vanilla ice cream is wonderful
- Caramel ice cream topping is great with or without the ice cream
What you need to make banana bread dump cake
- Quick banana bread
- Ice cream and/or caramel sauce
After you make this you’ve got to try our apple pie bread pudding which is really a dump and go dessert too!
Here is the printable recipe for our 2nd banana dump cake with egg.
Banana Dump Cake
- 1 box banana bread mix quick bread mix
- 4 large bananas 3 yellow, 1 can be browned - added into the mix
- 1 c milk 2% or whole is best
- 1/2 c walnuts crushed, optional
- 1/2 c oil
- 2 eggs
- Spray 13x9 pan with non stick spray. Slice your 3 yellow bananas and layer on the bottom of the pan, there will be about 2 layers all the way across evenly across the pan.
- Sprinkle nuts in between the 2 banana layers or on top of the final layer if you would like to add those.
- In a bowl mix together your 1 mashed banana, quick banana bread mix, milk, oil, and water.
- Dump your batter on top of your layers of banana and spread across pan so batter is evenly distributed and the same thickness so it bakes evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until top is golden brown, you don't want to over bake it.
- Take out and put on a cooling rack.
- Slice serving out and flip upside down so bananas are now facing the top of your dump cake piece.
- Drizzle caramel sauce on top or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and then drizzle caramel on top!!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉