You can make some really fun spelling games using repurposed old games you have at home. Create new games for free using board games that are just sitting around so your kids can practice their skills and have fun at the same time. Teach them that learning can be fun.
I love repurposing, especially with my kids toys they are not using anymore. My kids were tired of their connect 4 game so I began to think about what they were learning at school and how I could create a fun game using this sad game that was sitting in the corner…..I found it, enjoy these spelling games! (originally published 3/14)
Spelling Games for the Classroom
Both my little ones (7 & 5) are practicing spelling on a weekly basis, so I began there. I had some sticker name tags in the drawer so I just traced the markers on to the sticker and cut out circles to fit. Easier still, you can grab the circle stickers you use for garage sales and marking items if you have them or can grab them at Walmart or the link above.
I wrote the most used letters on them and created this game! You can make it really easy with the words they know how to read and only
Spelling games for kids
You could use this for spelling games such as this one, write their sight word on each piece and practice those, or even write small words and have them create a sentence across using these pieces….she loved it!
When you begin put a row of empty markers across the bottom so that the letters show up well through the upper holes, and have fun!
This is what you need for this Connect 4 Spelling Game
- Connect Four Game
- White sticker
Spelling games for Kindergarten
If you are looking for other family game night games and ideas:
- Create a book swap party to encourage reading in a fun way and save you money on books.
- What a child should know before Kindergarten is written about here.
- Another repurposing activity using an old Chutes and Ladders game is here. This math facts game helps with addition, subtraction, multiplication or even division. Easy to make, inexpensive and a fun way to practice flash cards.
Fun spelling game
- Sight word game
- Bananagrams is a great spelling game she loves
- Alphabet letter worksheets
- Free learning and spelling printables
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉