This easy Instant Pot cauliflower mash is so much fun to make and eat! It tastes like mashed potatoes but with made with a head of cauliflower. Packed with a ton of flavor, creamy, and you can use any color cauliflower you can find like purple!
Tell me this naturally purple Instant Pot cauliflower mash isn’t totally cool! I will tell you that if your kids aren’t really fans of vegetables, I bet they will try these!! Special thanks goes out to Kitchen Deluxe for sponsoring this post, it’s one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes for beginners. (originally published 8/17, affiliate links present)
Purple Cauliflower Mash
- Not only is this a fun vegetable side dish but it’s really tasty too. They’re rich, creamy, and put a smile on everyone’s face in our house. You can use any color your store offers, it doesn’t have to be purple. White is just as delicious.
You can make it in a Crockpot Express or as an easy Ninja Foodi recipe as well. All these pots basically work the same.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
- This is a great InstaPot cookbook and a set of wooden utensils are great to grab too.
- I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot.
- You should still deglaze pressure cooker after sautéing but it won’t have as many issues with this better liner.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
What does cauliflower taste like?
While cauliflower is a mild tasting vegetable, it doesn’t have the same neutral flavor you get with rice. In my opinion it’s highly ignored and not served as often as it should be. Coming in a few different colors, white is the most common.
We will share here how to make Instant Pot mashed cauliflower, how to cook a whole head in your multi cooker, as well as a cheesy version I’m addicted to. You can use your Ninja Foodi for any of these as well.
Ninja Foodi Mashed Cauliflower
- You could make them orange, green or yellow too depending on what color cauliflower you find at the store.
- I used purple because I have 3 girls and well I thought that it would be “totally cool”!
Ninja Foodi cauliflower mash
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Kitchen Deluxe vegetable steamer use code TYPICALM for 15% off (safety hook included)
If you already have one of these vegetable baskets at home then use yours, you just don’t want to use a trivet. Reason is the florets will fall off into the water and become a mushy mess that are water logged.
Is cauliflower keto?
YES!! Cauliflower is a vegetable of choice if you’re on the ketogenic diet. The plant is low in carbs and can replace potatoes, rice, and even pasta. BUT with this you still get the taste of a feel good food you’re probably craving.
I’d suggest this as a side dish and if you want a heartier one that could be served as a vegetarian meal our Instant Pot cauliflower curry is great too.
Instant Pot mashed cauliflower
- Head of cauliflower (white, or color of your choice)
- or margarine, but real salted butter is much better
- Cream cheese or sour cream (I use what I have on hand)
- if using cream cheese to smooth it out ensure it is room temperature when added
- Parmesan cheese
- Green onions & garlic powder – optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- really, add any and all seasonings you would normally put into your mashed potatoes
Use a potato masher as once they are steamed and softened you’ll treat them just like mashed taters.
This vegetable steamer is great for just about any veggie you want to make.
- Just pour about 1 1/2 cups of water into the bottom of your Instant pot.
- Open the steamer basket up as you see here
- It includes a safety tool too that makes lifting the steamer out of your pot easier and safer too
- Add your cauliflower florets
- Close the lid and set to manual setting, pressure high for 3 minutes cook time
- Release the pressure with a quick release once done
- Remove the lid and put veggies into food processor or use potato masher to smooth
If you don’t have any of these you can find them on my list of favorite Instant Pot accessories. They aren’t expensive and I use them every week, totally worth it.
Once your cauliflower is nicely steamed and super soft you just pour it into a bowl, add your goodies, mix on low/medium to smooth it out, and serve!
Surprise them one night with this as a side item, I guarantee you’ll get a big “What??!! Cool!”….and they will try it!
How do you thicken cauliflower puree?
- If left inside your Instant Pot and mashed you can thicken by cooking down further while stirring often while on the saute function or inside a nonstick skillet. To thin it out just whisk in additional liquid such as broth, cream, or water.
There you have it. In just about 15 minutes total you can have yourself a fun vegetable Instant Pot dish that is fun and flavorful!
Looking for more vegetable recipes?
- Here’s how to make mashed cauliflower on the stovetop
- Buffalo baked cauliflower is great, or make air fryer cauliflower steak
- Don’t forget to try our cheesy Instant Pot cauliflower
- Pressure cooker cauliflower soup is amazing too
How long does mashed cauliflower keep?
Properly stored, cooked cauliflower will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. To further extend the duration, freeze it!
Can you freeze pureed cauliflower?
Of course! Cooking from frozen actually works great most of the time like with air fryer frozen cauliflower. Just make sure you freeze leftovers in a covered airtight container or heavy duty freezer bag. You can also wrap what’s left with heavy duty aluminum foil or freezer wrap. We rarely have any left, it’s that good.
Don’ t forget to grab your own helpful Instant Pot vegetable steamer here and get started!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Cauliflower Mash
- 2 small/med. bunches cauliflower
- 1.5 c water for in pot
- 1/2 stick butter softened, less or more depending on taste
- 1/3 c parmesan
- 1/3 c cream cheese sour cream is good too
- 1 green onion diced, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and cut your cauliflower into pieces removing leaved, bottom portion.
- Pour 1.5-2 c. water into the bottom of your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Open vegetable steamer and place in your Instant Pot.
- Place cut floret pcs. of cauliflower into your steamer basket.
- Close steam valve. Set Instant Pot to manual, pressure, high, for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release.
- Pour steamed cauliflower into a bowl. Drain and discard water in pot.
- Add your butter (softened), cream cheese (will make it a bit stiffer than sour cream) or sour cream, parmesan, salt, and chives or green onions.
- Use a hand mixer on low/med. to blend until you get the desired consistency.
- Enjoy! Add more parmesan and/or onions to top.
Sunday 4th of October 2020
I was skeptical about it actually tasting like mashed potatoes but it really does! Delicious and much better for you. Plus, who doesn't like eating purple food?!
The Typical Mom
Tuesday 6th of October 2020
I know right, so fun
Thursday 9th of January 2020
This will be perfect for since I have to start in a kidney disease diet. I will have to eliminate the dairy in it but I’m sure I can find something to substitute for that.
Monday 29th of April 2019
The perfect side dish. Looks amazing and tastes great too!
Monday 29th of April 2019
We made this the other day and everyone loved it. Going to make it again for a family gathering this weekend!