How to make mac and cheese in the microwave when you don’t have a stove or oven. Easy cheap meal for 2 that costs under 5 bucks to make. First we shared how to cook pasta in the microwave and this takes it a step further.
If you have ever wondered how to cook mac and cheese in the microwave we have the instructions for you here! Rich sauce in tender noodles boiled together in a fraction of the amount of time it takes on the stove, and just as good. If you love homemade macaroni and cheese, here’s a quick way to do that. (affiliate links present, originally published 5/22)
Mac and Cheese in the Microwave
I bet you never thought you could REALLY cook in this machine did you, beyond frozen meals of course. Well if you have ever tried any of our other microwave recipes you know that isn’t quite true. Most of those are simple desserts but we too have made pizza in a mug which could be made into a small snack of a meal too.
Ok so you love our Ninja foodi macaroni and cheese recipe but there are only 2 of you at home. You don’t really want days and days of leftovers so how could you do a portion of that quickly before you head off to the movies? I have you covered right here y’all.
Microwave Macaroni and Cheese
First we have to start with the noodles. Typically what you would use would be elbow macaroni but you could use another shape that was small. There are small shells or those curly types, just not medium or large for this cook time and amount of liquid necessary.
That is the very first step, you have to boil noodles in microwave in order to get them tender but still a bit al dente. Using the saran wrap will seal in the heat and get the water so hot that is cooks them nicely.
- Place macaroni pasta and 1 cup water that is hot into a large microwave safe bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and heat on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir and cover again.
- Return to the microwave to heat for 3 minutes on 50% power.
Then add some butter and you’re ready for the next few steps. Unless that is you just want butter noodles then you could just drain and enjoy.
Macaroni and Cheese in the Microwave
The best cheese to use for this is Velveeta, hands down. If you are vehemently opposed to a cheese product such as this one you can make your own homemade Velveeta sauce at home so you know all the ingredients in it. Regular shredded cheese doesn’t melt like this does to make a thick creamy sauce. It will become clumpy and a bit oily.
Heating it again after these ingredients are added will give it that classic look feel and taste you would imagine. The longer it sits and cools the thicker it will become so don’t fret if it seems a little loose when you first take it out.
- At this time you will whisk together your flour and add your milk in a cup until smooth, this will help to thicken it
- Now add this mixture to the bowl of cooked macaroni.
- Fold in cheese until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and return to the microwave.
- Microwave on high another 3 minutes
Allow to sit for at least one full minute, 5 is better. Could add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on the top when done for added yum. You could use this method to make a smaller version of our Copycat Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese too. You need a variety of cheeses for that one.
Microwave Mac and Cheese
Quick and easy snack or meal you can make for yourself or the two of you in a jiffy. This is what you’re going to need in order to get started;
- Milk and cheese (velveeta, some prefer cream cheese)
- Uncooked small noodles
- Hot water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A bit of flour is used to thicken it all
This is best if you allow it to sit for 5 solid minutes uncovered when you take it out. Be careful because the bowl will be really hot on the outside so use pot holders when lifting it out. Best if you transfer servings into new cooler dishes so you don’t get burned.
While you’re waiting, check out our tips on how to clean your microwave too. As the sauce is thickening you can get this done.
Best way to save leftover mac and cheese
Wait until it is totally cooled first. Then pour it into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap pressing down on to the top of the dish gently so it touches and no air is trapped inside. Then store in the fridge for up to 2 days. When reheating transfer into a bowl that is not cold.
Heat for 30 seconds, stir and then heat again and again like this until it is hot all the way thru to your liking. You can add a bit of fresh shredded cheese on the top to melt on the last heating go around if you like too.
Want to make this in a larger batch some night? Give our Instant Pot macaroni and cheese easy recipe a whirl. All of these versions are really inexpensive and I haven’t met anyone who doesn’t love them. I have also talked before about how to cook Kraft mac and cheese without draining here.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How to Make Mac and Cheese in the Microwave
- 1 Bowl
- 1 microwave
- Place macaroni pasta and hot water into a large microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and heat on high for 3 minutes. Stir and cover again. Return to the microwave to heat for 3 minutes on 50% power. Add butter and stir until melted.
- Whisk together flour and milk in a cup until smooth, add to the bowl of cooked macaroni. Fold in cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and return to the microwave.
- Cook for another 3 minutes on high powder. Let stand for 1 minute before stirring until smooth.