This is how to make ox tail soup with potatoes and carrots in a Dutch Oven in the oven or stovetop. This is how to cook oxtail to tender with a light broth with vegetables for dinner.
Oxtail soup is amazing. You can add lots of veggies to make it hearty as a meal vs. a side dish. This cut of beef can be tricky to boil but we will share with you how it is done perfectly and with a ton of flavor. A family friendly meal that saves well for leftovers too. (post may contain affiliate links present)
Simple Ox Tail Soup Recipe
We first made a Korean oxtail soup version, but it was time to share the old fashioned method. It does take a bit of time to prepare these pieces so they are fork tender but it is so worth it! You can tweak the amount of heat used, salt and all other spices but we will share out favorite below.
If you like to taste all the natural flavors of the meat then just use salt and pepper. We do have a killer oxtail seasoning that is quite popular though so if you coat with that before searing at the beginning it will add a lot of YUM. Your choice. If you like spicy foods it is easy to adjust for that too with some red pepper flakes.
This is one of our favorite Dutch Oven recipes. A great cast iron pot to use on the stove and oven for that matter. Provides an even heat that gets everything melt in your mouth moist and tender. The main ingredients are the meat, potatoes and carrots. From there you can add away! Of course onions are kinda’ a given, and then the seasonings. We used;
- 1.5 lbs oxtails – if you don’t see it in the meat section this cut of meat may be frozen, and can be defrosted or boiled frozen
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots peeled, cut into bite size pieces
- 12 baby potatoes peeled, or small size russets cut in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 32-48 oz beef broth, water or you could make and use Pho broth for a lot of flavor
If you really wanted to thicken the broth when done you could. If so I would suggest at the end to use a slotted spoon to remove items, set aside and keep warm. Put broth in Dutch Oven over medium high heat on stove. In a small dish whisk together 2 tbsp cornstarch with a bit of the liquid in the pot.
Once smooth pour this into your pot of boiling broth and stir allowing the liquid to thicken to your liking. Once achieved, add the items back in. You could at this time remove the meat off of the bone and add back in that way so it is easier to eat.
Recipe for Ox Tail Soup
You want to start out by heating your pot over medium heat on your stovetop. Blot outsides and add seasonings you want to oxtails before cooking in your olive oil until the outsides are a nice and golden brown on all sides.
- Add carrots, finely chopped onion, salt, black pepper, bay leaf.
- or Asian ingredients like our Oxtail pho
- Add water or broth so that it covers the vegetables and meat.
- Cover with a lid.
- Put Dutch Oven in a preheated oven set to 370 F for 2 hours. Pull out.
- Add potatoes and put in the oven for another hour, or until tender to your liking. May need another 30 minutes if they are quite large.
- The meat should come off the bone easily at this time.
- Remove bay leaf, shred meat off of bones and put that back into the pot with the rich broth of your oxtail stew and enjoy.
If you wanted to make this same dish in your pressure cooker you could. Use the timing and steps in our Old Fashioned Instant Pot oxtail soup recipe we have here. It is much faster than 3 hours total if you have that machine, it is worth a try.
For low and slow cooker oxtail soup you’d follow these steps to get the meat tender. Remove the meat, add into the pot with the broth and veggies and cook until those are fork tender.
You can just sear, boil, and pull the meat off of the bone to enjoy simple that way with the beef broth. Better yet follow our ox tail soup with vegetables recipe with potatoes, carrots and onions here. It is just as easy and becomes more of a complete meal this way.
Ox Tail Soup with Potatoes
This is a very flavorful and hearty dish that can be enhanced with a variety of ingredients to add depth and nutrition. Like we have added grains into the mix to make oxtails and rice together. Turns out great! Here are some vegetables you can consider adding to your mixture too;
Vegetables to Add to Oxtail Soup
Celery adds a pleasant crunch and subtle flavor to the soup. It’s often used in mirepoix (a mixture of onions, carrots, and celery) as a base for many soups.
- Garlic adds a wonderful aromatic quality to the soup. You can use minced or chopped garlic cloves for a deeper flavor.
- Baby Potatoes can add thickness and heartiness to the soup. They can be peeled and diced before adding to the pot.
- Tomatoes can add acidity and depth to the soup’s flavor. You can use canned tomatoes or fresh tomatoes, diced or crushed.
- Bell peppers can contribute sweetness and color to the soup. They can be diced and added to the mixture.
- Leeks have a milder onion flavor and can be sliced and added to the soup for a more delicate taste.
- Parsnips add a slightly sweet and earthy flavor. They can be peeled and sliced before adding to the soup.
- Turnips can provide a unique flavor and texture to the soup. They can be peeled and diced.
- Peas can be a delightful addition, adding a touch of sweetness and texture to the soup.
- Leafy greens like frozen spinach or kale can be added towards the end of cooking for added nutrition and color.
Remember that you can customize to your liking by combining different items based on your preferences. Start by sautéing the aromatic vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, garlic) to build a flavorful base after sauteeing meat. Adjust the cooking time for each vegetable based on its tenderness and desired texture.
Ox Tail Soup with Noodles
If you wanted to add pasta to this dish you could do it two ways. Either boil until al dente, strain and add into the broth at the very end. OR you could strain ingredients, keep warm and put your pot with the broth in the pot on the stove.
Allow to boil and add noodles into that to boil. Once tender add your meat and veggies back and then enjoy. This is freezer safe too if you have leftovers. Wait until it cools and then store in a freezer bag, lay flat and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in fridge and reheat for another meal!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Ox Tail Soup
- Fry oxtails in oil in Dutch Oven over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides. Add finely chopped onion, sliced carrots, salt, black pepper, bay leaf. Add water or broth so that it covers the vegetables and meat.
- Cover with a lid. Put Dutch Oven in a preheated oven set to 370 F for 2 hours. Pull out. Add potatoes and put in the oven for another hour. The meat should come off the bone easily at this time.
- Remove bay leaf, shred meat off bones and put back into the soup to serve.
- ** If you really wanted to thicken the broth when done you could. If so I would suggest at the end to use a slotted spoon to remove items, set aside and keep warm. Put broth in Dutch Oven over medium high heat on stove. In a small dish whisk together 2 tbsp cornstarch with a bit of the liquid in the pot.
- Once smooth pour this into your pot of boiling broth and stir allowing the liquid to thicken to your liking. Once achieved, add the items back in. You could at this time remove the meat off of the bone and add back in that way so it is easier to eat.