These mozzarella stuffed bacon wrapped onions are an amazing side dish or main course! Baked or grilled on the barbecue they are a sweet and savory dish with lots of cheese oozing out. Keto friendly and just amazing.
These stuffed onions look amazing right?? I used Vidalia onions who generously sponsored this post to make these mozzarella stuffed bacon wrapped onions in the oven. You could easily throw them on the barbecue too! Filled with cream cheese and other cheeses with crunchy bacon and a tender onion inside, you’ll fall in love too. (originally published 4/17)
Here’s how you start the process of making these mozzarella stuffed bacon wrapped onions. Oh my!!
Here’s a peek at the wrapping.
Stuffed onions are really amazing and versatile.
- They provide the perfect “bowl” to fill with your favorite things. Ours being bacon and cheese. Baked is wonderful however during the Summertime you can use this recipe on the grill too! Instead of using a cookie sheet you can wrap each one in aluminum foil and put them on your barbecue!
Take them camping too and throw them on the campfire for an amazing meal or side dish too.
They could even be stuffed with a meatloaf instead of cheese. 😉 Vidalia onions are a seasonal treat only available in the Spring and Summer months. So right now is the best time to pick up a few and give these mozzarella stuffed bacon wrapped onions a try.
The first time I made them I had one myself for lunch.
I couldn’t wait to share what I had made with my husband. But, surprisingly enough when my kids came home they loved them too!
This is really all you need to make mozzarella stuffed bacon wrapped onions
- Vidalia Onions
- Olive Oil
- Cream Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Oregano / Salt
What are you waiting for??!!
Whether you’re looking for an amazing side dish or a main course that is different and everyone will ask the recipe for, these are it! Vidalia Onions are incredibly versatile and add flavor to a wide variety of dishes from salads to side items, dressings, dips and even desserts. Start with this recipe and see why they’re a great onion to cook with and then go from there. Just incredible I tell you. 😉
If you love these stuffed onions you should try our:
- Bacon wrapped air fryer steak is another winner
- Serve these onions with the best way to make baked potatoes
- If you’re grilling these stuffed onions throw on some brussel sprouts on the grill too
Mozzarella Stuffed Bacon Wrapped OnionsThese mozzarella stuffed bacon wrapped onions are an amazing side dish or main course! Baked or grilled on the barbecue they are a sweet and savory dish with lots of cheese oozing out. Filled with cream cheese and mozzarella they were wonderful right out of the oven for lunch and a hit at our last barbecue.Prep Time 15 minutesCook Time 50 minutesTotal Time 1 hour 5 minutesServings 4Calories 415kcal
- 4 Vidalia Onions (for 3 servings, double if you want more)
- 8 pcs bacon (2 per onion)
- 1/2 c cream cheese softened
- 1 c mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Nutrition FactsMozzarella Stuffed Bacon Wrapped OnionsAmount Per Serving (4 oz)Calories 415 Calories from Fat 270% Daily Value*Total Fat 30g 46%Saturated Fat 11g 55%Cholesterol 54mg 18%Sodium 597mg 25%Potassium 454mg 13%Total Carbohydrates 27g 9%Dietary Fiber 3g 12%Sugars 17gProtein 10g 20%Vitamin A 11.4%Vitamin C 19.3%Calcium 23.9%Iron 7%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- Cut about 1/4 of the top of your onion off.
- Slightly cut the other end just to remove the onion skin, making sure it sits flat and you don't cut a hole in the bottom.
- Remove just the first outside layer of your Vidalia onions.
- Use a knife to cut the middle out of your onions, then use a spoon to core out a bit more, enough for some cheese and a bit of bacon to fit inside.
- Lay 2 pcs. of bacon down in an X form.
- Put the onion in the middle of the X and pull the ends up and into the hole at the top of your onion. Push it down inside so it is tight.
- Once all of your onions are prepared this way put them on a cookie sheet with aluminum foil on it, with a cooling rack on top of that so any liquid can drip away from the onions (there won't be that much).
- Put in oven set to 350 degrees, on a rack that has been moved to the bottom of the oven (or close to it).
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Mix together your 2 cheeses.
- After 30 minutes take your onions out and make a ball out of your cheese mixture, enough to fit into the holes.
- Sprinkle with a bit of oregano, salt, and pepper and drizzle with olive oil making sure oil gets on the outside of onion.
- Put cheese stuffed onions back into the oven for 20-25 more minutes or until the top of the cheese is lightly brown and bacon is crisp.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉