Instant Pot egg roll bowl without the wrapper is a great low carb meal with chicken, cabbage and tons of flavor.
If you’re following a keto diet or just looking for a new InstaPot recipe, give this Instant Pot egg roll bowl a whirl. All the meat and vegetables you love can now be made without the tedious work of wrapping it up. One of many Instant Pot recipes we love. (affiliate links present)
- Dump dinners are just the best!! Throw it all in one pot, saute a bit and then pressure cook for just ZERO minutes. That’s right, no joke.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
If you haven’t tried cabbage in a while, your taste buds may have changed. I didn’t love it until my 40’s and now I am obsessed. The first recipe I made was this Instant Pot fried cabbage dish and I was in love from there.
It’s a cheap vegetable that is VERY versatile. So much so we’ve made a roundup of our favorite simple cabbage recipes here.
There is no set answer to this. It really can be a catch all for everything you love. Typically there is diced meat, shredded carrots, chopped cabbage and seasonings. Soy sauce is almost always used.
That depends on who’s calculating and making it. This Instant Pot egg roll in a bowl recipe is split up into 4 servings of 2 ounces each.
There are only 2 grams of carbs per cup when shredded so it is very low and you can eat quite a bit before falling out of ketosis.
It’s packed with nutrients and actually might keep inflammation down too.
What is the best way to eat cabbage?
There are tons of great ideas but inside egg rolls or in our Instant Pot cabbage casserole might be our favorite. It gives every dish a nice crush with a subtle flavor that goes with just about every meat.
This has ground turkey in it but you could just as easily dice up a breast or thigh and use that instead. You’ll need to saute any meat you use with a bit of olive oil in your pot first, then continue on to the next steps.
Instant Pot egg roll in a bowl
- Ground chicken
- or ground pork or ground beef works as well
- Bagged coleslaw mix makes it really quick and easy
- Chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Ground fresh ginger or you can find it jarred here
- Salt and pepper
- Green onions and sesame seeds are optional to add on top at the end
Of course like I said, this popular Asian dish has thousands if not millions of variations to it. As far as the meat you could use anything broken up into small pieces. Ground chicken is just what was on hand to use here.
You could easily make your own cabbage mixture, just stick to 8 ounces as the ratio of vegetables to liquid is important. Water could be substituted but won’t lend as much flavor.
Remember that the meat will release some liquid as well. If you are worried about the rule on the Instant Pot website that you must always add at least 1 cup of liquid or you’ll receive the burn notice, that isn’t true.
I have made lots of recipes like our Instant Pot carnitas where that proves it works with less. So long as the overall liquid creates a barrier between the heating element and the food itself. Once you brown the meat there will be more in your pot to account for.
- It doesn’t matter which pressure cooker you have either.
- Use the Mealthy, Crockpot Express, Foodi or whatever. Literally they all work the same essentially.
This is what it looks like once it is done and “fluffed” up. You don’t want to cook it for more than 0 minutes because the cabbage will get way too soft and mushy.
What is a zero minute pressure cooking time?
- It’s easy!
- Press manual (if you have that button)
- Then hit pressure cook
- Adjust time with – and + sign to go down past 1 to where it says 0
- The pot will still take time to reach pressure. Once it does it will beep telling you it is done. Then pressure release accordingly.
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowl
Turn pressure cooker to saute, add your ground meat, soy sauce and seasonings. Cook until meat is no longer pink, then turn pot off.
- Add ingredients
Spread meat on bottom of pot. Pour broth on top. Sprinkle cole slaw mix over the top but do not stir.
Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 0 minutes cook time. When done do a quick release and lift lid, stir contents and serve in bowls.
Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowl
- Turn pressure cooker to saute, add your ground meat, soy sauce and seasonings. Cook until meat is no longer pink, then turn pot off.
- Spread meat on bottom of pot. Pour broth on top.
- Sprinkle cole slaw mix over the top but do not stir.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 0 minutes.
- When done do a quick release and lift lid. Stir contents and serve in bowls.