Our easy slow cooker sloppy joes are great when you’re feeding a crowd! Just 4 ingredients is what you need for loose meat sandwiches tonight. A cheap dinner idea that is sweet and savory with a homemade sauce.
Did you know you could make sloppy joe loose meat sandwiches too? You may have made these on the stovetop before but especially if you are hosting a Super Bowl party you may want to triple it and feed over a few hours. This is a great way to keep your saucy ground beef warm for hours. Just one easy Crockpot recipe we have on our site. (affiliate links present)
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
Once these are done there are tons of ways to serve them. The traditional would be with hamburger buns but smaller sizes with Hawaiian rolls as sloppy joes sliders is even more fun with the same great taste. We have even eaten this spooned over a bed of tater tots I mean….yes we did!
So below we used our basic 3 ingredients with a few options where you can add a dash of garlic powder and/or diced onions. Those are optional but great touches. If you want a copycat not so sloppy joes sauce with a few others including a bit of bell peppers that is a great one too.
Slow Cooker Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes
You can use any sort of ground meat you’d like really. The directions would stay the same no matter what, unless you needed directions on how to cook frozen ground turkey. I typically will use beef because that is what I have on hand most often. We buy half a cow at the beginning of the year so I have a lot to say the least.
- 2 lbs ground beef cooked will feed 8-10 depending on how hungry they are
- Yellow mustard
- Brown sugar or more if you want it sweeter
- Garlic powder
- Onions finely diced, optional
- A sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste if you like but not necessary really
Now if you had even more guests coming over you could certainly cook as much as would fit into your pot. There are some really large versions out there now so as long as you have a few inches on the top between your food and lid you should be good to go. May take another hour or so to heat all the way thru and I would stir a bit more often but you should be good to go.
Another reason why I love this meal. Super cheap overall, can be served a ton of different ways, and no matter who eats these they will be pleased. From little kids to grandparents it is always a hit.
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes with Frozen Ground Beef
If you want this as a really easy prep of a meal I would just buy a big bag of buns from Costco, and done. More from scratch you could thaw frozen rolls right when you turn this on and they will be ready to bake when it is done, perfect timing. It is kinda’ fun served over some pasta cooked to al dente too though, just a thought. 😉
- Start this off in a large skillet on your stovetop.
- Add a bit of olive oil with your ground beef or turkey with diced onions if you want to add those.
- if you were cooking frozen ground beef you would need to do this first and then proceed once browned.
- Cook until meat is no longer pink, then remove and drain grease.
- Pour meat into your slow cooker.
- Add your other ingredients and use a spoon to fold it all together so meat is well coated with the sauce.
- Put lid on and set to low for 2-4 hours on low so flavors can meld together even further.
- If serving for longer set to keep warm with the lid on and stir every hour to rotate. Serve on buns.
Variations you could make to this; to make it spicy I would recommend adding 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes with the meat. After sitting for a few hours test it out. If you want it spicier then add another 1/8 of a tsp at a time until you get to the right heat level. Want it sweeter, do the same thing with the brown sugar. More pucker? Add more mustard or dill pickle relish.
4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
As you can see there are quite a bit of variations you can make to these Maid Rite Sandwich ingredients but the base 4 remain the same always. The rest is to make it a family favorite in your home. We like it as is with just the 3 sauce items and meat but have tried others and wanted to provide options for y’all too.
Homemade sloppy joes are just that, usually passed down thru the generations. If yours can only consisted of a can of Manwich and memories you might want to step outside the box a bit more.
You will NEVER ever go back to the can after you try this one. Maybe your granny called them Tavern sandwiches, same thing, but now you can turn them into open faced Texas Toast sloppy joes.
Ok so this is yet another tweak to this loose meat sandwich, there are many. Messy Janes are made with turkey instead of beef but both need to be ground and browned before the sauce is added. You can cook them on the stove or make our slow cooker turkey sloppy joes shown here.
We have a printable card at the bottom you can add to your folder or just come back time and time again for directions. Jump to recipe and get started on these. Let us know if you change it up just a bit more with maybe a tad of tomato sauce or Worcestershire sauce too. We love trying this and that beyond our favorite 3.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- 1 pan
- 2 lbs ground beef cooked
- 1.5 c ketchup
- 1/3 c mustard yellow
- 4 tbsp brown sugar or more if you want it sweeter
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 c onions finely diced, optional
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet on your stove add a bit of olive oil with your ground beef or turkey with diced onions if you want to add those. Cook until meat is no longer pink, then remove and drain grease.
- Pour meat into your slow cooker. Add all other ingredients and use a spoon to fold it all together so meat is well coated with the sauce.
- Put lid on and set to low for 2-4 hours on low so flavors can meld together even further. If serving for longer set to keep warm with the lid on and stir every hour to rotate. Serve on buns.
Monday 24th of April 2023
If you have leftover taco meat and use it for sloppy Joes then it would be a sloppy Josè