How to defrost and cook Instant Pot frozen ground turkey or in your Ninja Foodi. Quick way to thaw frozen meat to tender for your meal.
Why would I bother cooking Instant Pot frozen ground turkey anyway? Well because I’m pretty forgetful and it is nice to have hacks like this on hand when I need them. Once done you can add it to spaghetti or make one of our other easy Instant Pot recipes here. (affiliate links present)
How to Cook Frozen Ground Turkey
We’ve had instructions for Instant Pot frozen ground beef on our site for a while now. I know that you might want to use a low fat version of that from time to time so we worked on this as well. You just need some water in the bottom and your choice of seasonings on top to get this done.
It doesn’t matter what brand of pressure cooker you have at home either. You can use a Crockpot Express, Mealthy or Ninja Foodi too. I have all of them and there isn’t much difference other than the latter one allows you to air crisp too. You won’t need that function for this one.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
Ninja Foodi Frozen Ground Turkey
No matter which brand you choose to use you’ll want to follow these same steps. If you don’t have a trivet with handles yet, I highly suggest getting one. It is super cheap but way easier to lower down and lift out when it is done. Always still use pot holders since it will be hot but game changer friends.
You can defrost frozen ground turkey in microwave but if you use your pressure cooker like we explain here you can thaw and cook all in one. Use high pressure then saute and ready!
Beef and turkey can do this. It doesn’t mean it is necessarily bad but just had a lack of oxygen during the packaging process. This may cause the color to be altered from red or pink to grayish.
You can season the meat when it is done but it is nice to add a pinch at the very beginning as well.
Cook Frozen Ground Turkey in Instant Pot
I will start by saying that when you open the lid it will look kinda’ ehhhhh, don’t worry it will cook up just fine and you won’t have any complaints or comments at the dinner table. The first step is thawing, but you’ll need to cook it shortly after. It is going to be warm and shouldn’t be saved at this point.
Since you’re using a multi cooker for this you won’t need to dirty another pan to proceed. Just drain the liquid at the bottom and set to saute. That is how you can brown to your liking. Then add into your recipe of choice. Our favorite is Ninja Foodi spaghetti with a layer of melted cheese on top.
- 1 lb ground turkey frozen
- Water or broth to steam
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, basil and oregano is what we used but it is up to you
You’ll need some olive oil for the last part so it doesn’t stick. I highly suggest getting a ceramic coated pot but a bit of oil I’d use either way.
Can You Cook Frozen Ground Turkey Without Defrosting
Yes ma’am! I like using wooden utensils like this one. When it is browned, taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking. If you are adding it into a casserole or making Instant Pot chili mac or something those other ingredients may have enough salt so you may not need any more.
- Place your trivet into bottom of your pressure cooker. Put frozen turkey burger onto trivet and add 1⁄2 cup of liquid into bottom. Add 1/2 of the seasoning to the top of the meat patty.
- this step is for thawing the meat
- Secure the lid on the pot with vent set to sealing. Set to high for 10 minutes cook time, followed by a quick pressure release.
- it will take time to pressurize so keep in mind this will take 15 minutes or 20 total.
- Remove the trivet at the bottom from your pot. Add 1 tbsp olive oil into bottom and set to saute. Stir and chop as it cooks. You could add some diced onions at this time too with it too for flavor and texture.
Of course it is easier to use fresh ground meat instead of pressure cooking but this isn’t always possible. Now in less than 20 minutes flat you can save dinner time and cook meat that was rock hard just moments before.
Ground Turkey Recipes
The easiest is to add a few tbsp of broth with some taco seasoning when you’re sautéing and tacos on a Tuesday is saved!! If you want a really quick meal prep idea you can just throw in some rice and make sloppy joes in Instant Pot for everyone.
- Keeping with Instant Pot cooking under 25 minutes, you can make unstuffed cabbage casserole too. A winner in February for sure but we eat this green veggie all year long it is so good.
- If you did happen to have a good day before and remember to thaw your meat in the fridge overnight, Instant Pot turkey meatloaf is a winner.
- Need something really fast and low fat, just season this really well, allow to cool a bit and throw it over a salad packed with veggies.
- I mean anything you would make with ground beef, this can be substituted. Like with our shepherds pie with instant mashed potatoes, there is no difference. Other than the fact that it is way lower in fat so the texture is on the drier side of things.
How to Save Leftover Ground Turkey
You could save this if you just made the meat and that is it. Wait until it reaches room temperature first. Drain the grease if there is any in the pot and spoon into a baggie. I would use it inside something else that needs protein within a day or two. I wouldn’t freeze since it already previously was.
What do you add to your meat when it is done for a really quick meal for your family? We always love hearing your dinner ideas so they can be tried the next go around. If it turns out to be a huge hit with us it may end up on our website next to share with others. 😉
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Instant Pot Frozen Ground Turkey
- Place instant pot trivet into bottom of instant pot. Put frozen turkey burger onto trivet and add 1⁄2 cup water into bottom. Add 1/2 of the seasoning to the top of the meat patty.
- Secure the lid on the pot with vent set to sealing. Press pressure cook button and set to high for 10 minutes, followed by a quick release.
- Remove trivet from instant pot. Place 1 tbsp olive oil into bottom and set to saute. Stir and chop ground turkey as it cooks. (could add some diced onions at this time too with it)
- You can make easy spaghetti at this time by adding a jar of sauce and cooked noodles. Stir together and serve.