Easy 2 ingredient pumpkin bread with spice cake mix is a delicious dessert or breakfast quick bread. Add chocolate chips to this moist pumpkin bread or enjoy as is with a glass of milk or coffee in the Fall or year round.
Ok so I am pretty obsessed with cake mix recipes of all kinds, make them all the time. Pumpkin chocolate chip bread with spice cake mix is just one of our favorites. And yes I love that we can make it year round! The base two ingredients can be enjoyed as is or amped up with nuts or dried cranberries too. (post may contain affiliate links present)
Cake Mix Pumpkin Bread
This is just one of the cake mix hacks we have here on our site, and it is a good one. You don’t have to use this flavor of mix if you can’t find it or want to compare others. You could use white or even gingerbread for a different duo but this one seems to be the favorite amongst everyone.
Here we used a 9×5″ standard loaf pan to make one to slice up and serve. If you wanted to bake half the time and already be in individual servings I would follow our 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins directions for timing instead. Same recipe, slightly different temperature and takes only about 20 minutes.
Pumpkin Bread with Cake Mix
This is basically how to make cake mix better. I mean it is not like we don’t like this made as is directed on the back of the box but it’s ehhhhh really. Much more moist if you add something else into the mix. You can almost make something taste homemade with very little effort since the leavening agents, flour and other ingredients are already in the bag. This one has;
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
I don’t know about you but the last 4 seasonings are more expensive and by the time I buy them, the next year they have gone bad. This way it’s already measured out just right, mixed together and ready to mix with my other goodies. You do NOT follow the directions on the back of the box to make this one, instead refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
2 Ingredient Pumpkin Bread
All you need is a can of puree or you could make homemade pumpkin puree and use 15 ounces of that instead, and a box of mix. Beyond that you could fold in a few or one extra. For us semi-sweet chocolate chips is kinda’ a must. It does add a bit more sweetness and just makes it more yum. Other things you can add to pumpkin bread would be;
- Dried cranberries we have done with our pumpkin cranberry bread (that one was homemade, but just as good in this one)
- Chocolate chips of course, white would work as well. I wouldn’t add more than 3/4 of a cup.
- Crushed nuts are a favorite for some, I am a no nuts in sweet breads kinda’ gal myself.
- You could dice up some fruit and add it in like our pumpkin apple bread, makes it really moist but once again stick to 3/4 of a cup and cut finely.
Pumpkin pie spice can amplify the flavors especially if you can’t find this and have to use yellow cake mix instead. Another idea to add moisture would be to add some raisins in there too. We do this with bran muffins and it works quite well.
Quick Bread Using Spice Cake Mix
You actually can find cans of puree at the store. It is in the same aisle as the cake mix near the bottom next to the pie fillings. It is just the pumpkin cooked and pureed until smooth, not pumpkin pie filling which has condensed milk and other ingredients in there.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray inside of a loaf pan with non stick cooking spray or line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl blend together can of pumpkin puree with spice cake mix dry mix.
- Make sure all dry bits are incorporated. If you want to add crushed nuts or chocolate chips use 3/4 of a cup, fold that in.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth out so it is the same thickness all the way across and bakes evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 or just until toothpick comes out mostly clean with moist crumbs attached
- Check often beyond 35 minutes as you want it to not overbake and dry out.
- Don’t wait until toothpick inserted in the center is completely dry, if so it has baked too long.
When done run a knife along edges to make sure it is not stuck. Use potholders to lift pan and gently flip over on to other pot holder. Set gently on a cooling rack. If you leave it in the pan it will continue baking and become more dry. Let it sit for a few minutes before slicing your delicious pumpkin bread and enjoying or lathering butter on top.
Easy Pumpkin Bread with Cake Mix
You want to wait until your leftovers have completely cooled and are at room temperature first. Then wrap in foil and slide into a freezer bag.
Leave on your countertop, not the fridge, to stay as moist as possible. The exception to that is if you added fresh fruit bits inside like apples, then keep in the fridge.
You want to put your slice or muffin on a microwave safe plate with 1 tsp of butter on top. Heat for 30-45 seconds until butter melts and soaks into the quick bread to keep it moist until warmed to your liking.
Yes and we have the instructions for that below! You will be surprised at how close to homemade you can make pumpkin bread with spice cake mix.
Ready to get started? Jump to recipe and let us know if you add something else we hadn’t mentioned.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Pumpkin Bread with Spice Cake Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray inside of a loaf pan with non stick spray.
- In a bowl blend together can of pumpkin puree with spice cake mix dry mix. Make sure all dry bits are incorporated. If you want to add crushed nuts or chocolate chips use 3/4 of a cup, fold that in.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth out so it is the same thickness all the way across and bakes evenly. Bake for 35-40 or just until toothpick comes out mostly clean with moist crumbs attached, check often beyond 35 minutes as you want it to not overbake and dry out.
- When done run a knife along edges to make sure it is not stuck. Use potholders to lift pan and gently flip over on to other pot holder. Set gently on a cooling rack. If you leave it in the pan it will continue baking and become more dry.