You have to make this chicken cordon bleu sandwich in slow cooker, they’re so good! Use fresh or frozen chicken breasts in Crockpot to make this. It’s so easy you just throw it all in in the morning and it’s ready for dinner.
The best way to get all the flavors you love with this dish is to make shredded chicken cordon bleu! That way all the cream cheese sauce can soak into each piece and give it the most flavor possible. This is definitely one of our favorite Crockpot recipes on our site. (affiliate links present)
Crispy Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich
If you want these toasted you can pop them in for a few minutes and make air fryer sandwiches that are lightly browned on top. They are great for a crowd or if there are just a few of you and want to enjoy it for lunch and dinnertime too. It saves quite well too so leftovers will never be wasted.
You may have made our Crockpot chicken sliders in the past, but want a new twist to it. We have made this with hot sauce to make them super spicy, bbq sauce which is super easy and now we have this cheesy mixture. If you’ve ever had this at a restaurant you know there are 3 basic flavors mixed together.
Chicken, ham and cheese is where it’s at. “Typically” you’d see a whole breast sliced and rolled with a slice of your other meat and sliced cheese in the middle. Then you have to roll those back, up, on to a baking sheet they go and you have to keep a close eye on them so it doesn’t dry out. A lot of work if you ask me.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu
If you cook this with defrosted or frozen chicken in a Crockpot you can literally throw it all in and walk away. Even if you forget about it for an extra hour it just gets even more tender. It’s a very forgiving dish for sure. To get started you are going to need;
- 2 lbs of chicken breasts
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package of cream cheese softened
- Shredded Swiss cheese
- Diced ham steak works or works great as a leftover ham recipe
- 24 oz of small store bought rolls, Hawaiian are a bit sweet and are great
Of course you can make your own homemade buns if you’d rather but we are all about easy and quick meals. As far as anything in between the layers you could put stuffing on top, another thin slice of ham that is cooler or maybe some cold tangy coleslaw.
Shredded Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich
Whether you make these as cold or into air fryer sandwiches you’ll follow the same instructions below. You will get very tender meat this way and will only need 2 forks to break it apart into pieces. Then you can top it in the middle of bread or otherwise.
- Prepare a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray, or brushed with melted butter.
- Place the chicken breasts into the bottom of the and top with the seasonings.
- Dot the top of the chicken with the cream cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until they are tender enough to shred easily with 2 forks.
- I do not like to cook on high with meat, low and slow is best
- Mix in the cream cheese.
- Add the ham and 1 cup of swiss cheese to the chicken and stir to combine.
- Remove the top of the Hawaiian sweet rolls and spread the chicken mixture over the bottom pieces.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining cheese and enjoy.
For a lower carb meal I suppose you could skip the bread and just serve with some veggies or something, but we aren’t counting calories here. 😉
What Kind of Cheese is on Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich
Whether you’re making this as an easy slow cooker recipe or on the stovetop there are “typical” ingredients usually used. We have always used a white cheese, typically Swiss. If not everyone in your family is a fan of that stronger flavor you could definitely use something else like provolone or even Jack for a bit of heat.
You COULD even transition this into a soup mixture if you added a few cups of chicken broth with a can of cream of chicken soup. This will create a thick sauce with the same meatiness to it. Served as a Crockpot chicken soup you could serve those rolls on the side to kinda’ scoop it up.
Served as a sandwich recipe you would only want to make to order. Reason being is you may have leftovers and that will save well, but you don’t want it inside of bread and then have to scoop that out.
It’s super simple to save once you have enjoyed it. Always turn the pot off and allow the contents to cool all the way first. Transfer cooked chicken into airtight containers or a thick freezer bag. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you are ready to reheat it set some into a microwave safe bowl. Add a few Tbsp. of broth on top to moisten it up first.
Then heat at regular 100% power for 45 seconds and then stir. Microwave for another 45 seconds or so until is warmed thru. You can add some into the middle of fresh bread slices and serve once again. You could enjoy again as is right out of a bowl too for a lower carb snack or meal.
Crock pot Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich
- Prepare a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place the chicken breasts into the bottom of the and top with the seasonings. Dot the top of the chicken with the cream cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until they are tender enough to shred easily with 2 forks. Mix in the cream cheese. Add the ham and 1 cup of swiss cheese to the chicken and stir to combine.
- Remove the top of the Hawaiian sweet rolls and spread the chicken mixture over the bottom pieces. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining cheese and enjoy.