This is best green bean recipe you will ever try that is healthy and so easy to make. Sometimes we make these baked green beans as a side dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas instead of the traditional green bean casserole and and it’s a hit every time. Perfect year round vegetable dish that’s flavorful and simple.
Are you ready for the best green bean recipe ever? I will admit I was always a “buy it in the can” kinda’ cook, but when we aimed to eat healthier that was one thing I changed and I rarely cook veggies out of a can or freezer anymore (tastes so much better fresh). It’s a perfect alternative to the traditional calorie laden green bean casserole you serve at Thanksgiving, or just a great side during the week for dinner. Even my kids love these. (originally published 10/16, affiliate links present)
- You can add mushrooms or omit but the combination is a great one. Balsamic is also used which creates a great flavor to the green beans and a perfect side dish. Our favorite healthier alternative served at Thanksgiving or Christmas time.
Forget the traditional green bean casserole year after year. Especially if you’re looking for a healthier option, you’ve got to give these baked green beans a whirl. There is nothing like fresh green beans, and this recipe is super easy.
Here’s what you need for this Thanksgiving side. There’s a printable recipe below to save for next time too.
This is what you need to make the Best green bean recipe
- Fresh green beans
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Baking sheet
You could add a sprinkle of red pepper on top if you wanted some heat too. As far as cooked green beans I like this method. It is easier than using a large skillet over medium heat and tending to it.
Are green beans better raw or cooked?
Green beans are better boiled or pressure cooked. It aids chewing, increases digestibility, and improves the energy value of the vegetable. Carrots for example can multiply their antioxidant power threefold when cooked!
- Roasting can also boost nutrients. Beans as you know can’t be eaten raw.
There aren’t a lot of steps to this green beans recipe which is good because I’m always in a rush so believe me nothing is difficult to make on my site. You probably have everything you need at home, other than a bunch of fresh beans.
Here are the basic steps to follow:
- Wash your beans and pat dry with paper towels. Then cut ends off as you normally would.
- Add green beans to a bowl and add your sliced mushrooms too.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and garlic salt into the bowl.
- Gently fold all ingredients together so beans and coated.
- Pour on to baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes stirring halfway thorough.
- Take out once they’re lightly browned and as tender as you’d like.
How do you trim green beans?
You just want to cut the pointy ends off, they don’t taste good. The rest of the bean is great so that is all that’s really necessary. If you find damaged or browned pieces, discard them as well.
If you’re looking for other easy side dishes we have another list here and below. You can print recipe below to keep on hand.
- You could try pressure cooker green beans too. They won’t be crispy but they’re done in NO time at all.
- Our Instant Pot brussel sprouts are amazing. Cooked in a bit of bacon grease and bright green tender to perfection, you’ll love these.
- Done in under 30 minutes with little prep time, you’ll love our pressure cooker mashed potatoes too.
- Pickford stuffing is our favorite during the holidays.
- These are the best air fryer green bean fries we’ve ever made.
Are cooked green beans good for you?
Green beans contain no cholesterol. Although your body needs some cholesterol for healthy cell growth, too much is bad for you. 1 cup of raw green beans has 2.7 g of fiber which is great. Boiling vegetables tends to leach nutrients out so steaming or baking is the best way to maintain their integrity.
Are green beans Keto?
A one-cup serving of cooked green beans contains 10 grams of carbs. 4 are fiber and they have 6 grams of digestible carbs per serving. Antioxidants are present too that may help prevent cancer and protect the brain.
How do you cook green beans in a skillet?
Put into a large skillet after you’ve cut the ends off. Cover with water, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until they start to soften. This will take about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Drain water. Add butter (or our olive oil and balsamic vinegar here) to green beans. Cook and stir until butter is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutritional information such as calories and saturated fat are listed below too but seriously, just enjoy!
Best Green Bean Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut ends of green beans off, rinse, dry off majority of water with paper towels and put into a bowl.
- Add all ingredients on top and mix well until coated.
- Put flat on sprayed cookie sheet where items aren't overlapping too much and bake for about 25 minutes (or until as tender as you'd like) stirring halfway through. Serve!
Just snip ends off, rinse, combine items and bake on a cookie sheet until golden browned and tender! If you love this best green bean recipe you’ve got to try our savory monkey bread, we serve this at holidays too and it’s phenomenal!
We hope you have a wonderful holiday and/or enjoy this green bean recipe during the week too. Let us know what you think!
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉