No bake Smores rice krispy treats are so yummy and an easy chocolate dessert to enjoy! Just 5 ingredients and no campfire required to make these goodies.
We made these sticky smores rice krispy treats one day when I didn’t want to turn the oven on. BUT I was yearning for something chocolatey with a bit of a crunch. They hit the spot. (originally published 9/17, affiliate links present)
My oldest has made marshmallow squares herself, and those are always good. However when you want the classic flavors of marshmallow s’mores but don’t have a firepit, these do the trick!
This is just one of our favorite Smores dessert recipes.
Chocolate Rice Krispy Treats
These do the trick when you want something crispy but chocolate is a must too. Of course you could just use chocolate rice krispies instead of the “plain” type too for an over the top choco flavor!
This is what you will need to make this easy no bake dessert:
- Rice Krispy cereal
- or Cocoa Pebbles
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Chocolate bars
- or semi sweet chocolate chips melt really well too
NO Bake Dessert Bars
I am sure you have made traditional marshmallow squares. You start with those though I use a square smaller pan rather than spreading them thinner into a 13×9 which they recommend.
They stay together better and cut easier I find. I break up milk chocolate bars and melt them in the microwave in 30 second intervals until they are melted and smooth. Usually 1 minute is all that is needed for this brand.
Mini marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs (or larger pieces) on top and you’re set!
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispy treats
To make the chocolate nice and solid so they cut smoothly and don’t smear and get all over everything I stick the whole thing in the fridge for about an hour after I’ve made it to solidify it well.
- They look real pretty cut into nice squares and put on a pretty plate if you are taking a treat somewhere too.
Especially during the summertime when s’mores are on your mind, this is an easy way to satisfy your cravings without having to start a campfire.
- Chewy double chocolate chip cookies use cocoa powder and are out of this world
- Chocolate coconut cake is like better than sex cake but better
Our simple S’Mores poke cake you see here below is over the top. With rich condensed milk soaked into the cake itself it is a mouth full of goodness.
Everyone enjoys rice krispy treats but adding more goodies to the top brings a “wow factor” to the traditional dessert everyone of all ages loves!
Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate
Time needed: 20 minutes
Chocolate Rice Krispy Treats
Spray inside of a large saucepan with non stick cooking spray. Melt the butter over stove until melted
Add bag of marshmallows stirring constantly until completely melted. At the same time measure out cereal and have it ready inside a large bowl.
Once marshmallows are melted, quickly remove from heat and pour mixture over cereal in a bowl. Mix well immediately.
Spray square 8×8 baking pan with non stick spray. Spoon marshmallow mixture into pan and gently press down with a piece of parchment paper until top is flat and even across the pan.
Break up and add chocolate bars into small pieces and microwave at 30 second intervals stirring each time. Do this until it’s nicely melted and smooth (usually 1 minute total).
Pour over the top of your rice krispies cereal treats and smooth until chocolate is the same thickness across the top.
Immediately sprinkle on mini marshmallows and sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top of those so everything sticks nicely.
Put baking dish in fridge for about an hour so chocolate can harden. Can just leave at room temperature but they won’t get as stiff. Cut into squares.
Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
Smores Rice Krispy Treats
- Spray inside of saucepan with non stick spray. Heat butter over stove until melted
- Add bag of marshmallows and stir consistently until melted. At the same time measure out cereal and have it ready inside a large bowl.
- Once marshmallows are melted, quickly pour mixture over cereal in a bowl and mix well immediately.
- Spray square 8×8 pan with non stick spray. Spoon marshmallow mixture into pan and push down with a piece of parchment or wax paper until top is flat and even across the pan.
- Break up chocolate bars into pcs and put into microwave at 30 second intervals stirring each time until melted and smooth (usually 1 minute total).
- Pour over the top of your rice krispy treats and smooth until chocolate is the same thickness across the top.
- Immediately sprinkle on mini marshmallows and sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top of those.
- Put in fridge for about an hour so chocolate can harden. Cut into squares.