Red white and blue desserts are fun to make and serve for 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day or Flag Day. These pretzels, Fourth of July strawberries and other snacks are cheap and quick to prepare.
I have a list of what you should make for these patriotic holidays + how to make red white and blue strawberries below. I feature these because they are the most popular with everyone, super easy to make and just make people smile. Plus fruit during the summertime is just so delicious ya’ gotta’ feature some. (affiliate links present)
Easy 4th of July Dessert Recipes Red White and Blue
Ok so whether you are throwing a Fourth of July party, welcoming a soldier home or want to just make something sweet with your kiddos on the weekend you’ll love these. If you grow strawberries in your garden you can make these all summer long for literally nothing out of pocket.
If not, no worries. Of course you can buy packages at the grocery store. BUT I do encourage you to see if you can find a local place where you can go strawberry picking like we do every year. First off it’s more fun but more importantly they are so fresh and have a lot more flavor than after they’ve been sitting at the store a while.
Let’s start off with the most important question you might have in mind when you see these babies right??
How do You Melt White Chocolate Chips?
This is the best tip you will ever hear when it comes to making chocolate dipped fruit. Once you try this you will want to buy all the things and make them this way. The baking hack is coconut oil!! I know, weird right?? If you have tried to melt chocolate chip in microwave before and it’s clumped up, this will make all the difference.
- You just need about 1/4 tsp coconut oil per 1 cup of chips
- Put oil in center and heat in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute at 50% powder
- Take it out, stir, and heat again at half power in 30 second intervals stirring in between
- Do this until it is smooth without any chunks
- Then use immediately because as it cools it will start to harden again
You can do this with milk chocolate or dark too, doesn’t matter what type. I recommend using a paper bowl and spoon so you can just throw it away when you’re done. It will harden solid when it is at room temperature and is hard to scrape off, unless you just throw it into your dishwasher.
Fourth of July Dessert
What else do you need to make these? Not much really other than the sprinkles. Well, they aren’t actually “sprinkles” as you might use on the top of cupcakes per say. To get them finer and shiny like this you’d be better off getting a jar of blue sanding sugar.
I mean you can get any store bought color(s) you want for that but we are going for red white blue things so ya’ know. For other occasions you can keep that in the back of your mind and just change things up that way. These are seriously the best wedding desserts with fruit ever because of the price and the WOW you get by guests.
Red White and Blue Strawberries
Along side your fresh fruit could make cheesecake dip so once the chocolate is gone they can still make the rest of the fruit taste good with another dipper. If you buy them in bulk and want to make a second dish you can use fresh berries to make our creamy fruit salad recipe. OR just have strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream out.
Red White Blue Desserts
Of course you can buy an ice cream cake for the occasion but if you want homemade…. The exact measurements you need are below for these are below. I do have a few other ideas though so you can just go down the list and make them one at a time. Make one or a few depending on how many 4th of July party guests you plan on having.
- Every year we make these red white and blue chocolate pretzels that just look so cool
- Use one of our popcorn recipes where you can melt chocolate in different colors and drizzle on the top
- Make a batch of our cake mix crinkle cookies and color 2 batches red and blue, leave the 3rd white and have a mixture. That is a super cheap idea.
You can make cake mix whoopie pies too that kids love. These have red white and blue colors but they are great for other holidays as well.
That is not all though….
- My daughter made red white and blue popsicles once. You could make these ice pops for adults with a kicker or as is.
- You can make this Fourth of July trifle with cake mix layered in a pretty clear glass container
- We have a lot of dessert pizzas we love but this patriotic pizza with cream and sliced fruit is super yummy
You can make a red white and blueberry flag cake. Make a regular sheet cake, spread cream cheese icing on the top with red and blue fruit. A fun star spangled treat in a 9×13″ pan that could be made in the morning and saved until later. Served with vanilla ice cream on the side that is always a fun patriotic dessert.
4th of July Desserts
Think outside of the box with the instructions below because this isn’t just for a strawberry. You could easily do the same thing to make chocolate covered cherries the same way. Pineapple in season? I know that is not white but nobody will really care…. See what is fresh and let your imagination run.
With your savory items like burgers, hot dogs and so on you can color a second bowl of mayonnaise blue with the ketchup to make toppings the right color. Then set tomato slices, onions and make homemade pickles with some blue food coloring and keep the trend going with all the things served. 😉
Oh, don’t forget a few summer cocktail recipes. You can easily make them all (or some of them) non alcoholic mocktails of sorts for the kids. Any or all of those can usually be colored however you like. For added fun freeze a bag of blueberries and use those instead of ice cubes for added color and pizazz!
- If you do have kids at your get together make sure to have an activity for them to do like our 4th of July color by number sheets. Little ones don’t really have to use the key and just have fun decorating the sheet.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Red White and Blue Dessert
- 1 Bowl
- 1 Spoon
- Rinse and dry strawberries, leave stems on. In a bowl add your chips and coconut oil in the center.
- Put into microwave at 50% power for 1 minutes, stir. Then heat again at 50% power for 30 seconds, stir, and keep doing this until it is totally smooth.
- Remove and dip half of strawberry into chocolate to coat. Allow to drip off into bowl. Pour blue sprinkles in a bowl and dip coated fruit into sprinkles.
- Lay on to a piece of parchment paper to dry and harden. Dip rest one at a time and allow to harden. Enjoy or transfer berries on parchment on to a tray and into fridge if serving later.