How to cook short ribs in pressure cooker or oven so they come out fork tender every time. Cook your English cut short ribs and side dish veggies all at the same time like our Instant Pot short ribs and enjoy the YUM.
We are going to talk about how to cook English cut short ribs today. Not only will they get tender but you can cook carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips and celery with it! Talk about an easy complete one pot meal done in about one hour. Just one of many easy Instant Pot recipes on our blog. (affiliate links present)
How to Cook Short Ribs
We made a batch of Ninja Foodi ribs a while back, but it was just the meat and it had a bbq base. I thought we’d try to cook vegetables and short ribs together this time with a milder flavor profile. If you have never worked with this cut before it is different than others for sure.
Baby back, spareribs and country style ribs would be the most commonly used. They get the most tender I’d say. The latter having the most meat on the bones, pork is typically more popular than beef but we are going to explore the cow today. 😉
Are English short ribs beef or pork?
I know, there are so many different varieties and sometimes it can get a bit confusing for sure. They are in fact from the cow so beef would be correct. They have a small portion of rib bone with a piece of meat on top. This variety has the thickest chunk attached to it.
To begin with, beef ribs take a lot longer to get tender than their pig counterpart. Note that. They really need to be submerged in some sort of liquid, broth is best to break down the connective tissue. Another tip to get them just right is to remove the membrane from ribs if it is still in tact.
Instant Pot English Short Ribs
It is easy to do this and allows the meat (and bones from one another) to fall apart much more easily.
There is another style you’ll find in the meat section in your store too though called flanken style short ribs. I would not recommend getting those. They are cut thin across the ribs and if you ask me are much harder to get the meat out. These have a thick pad of protein on top you can see and just cut off easily.
How long does it take to cook beef short ribs in the oven at 350
If you wanted to use this other method you could. Set dutch oven on stovetop over medium high heat with some olive oil. Season your meat and set inside to braise short ribs so the outsides are browned and seared before baking.
Use the same sauce ingredients below and pour that into a dutch oven with your 4 lbs. of meat. Cover and put into a preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the protein is fork tender and reaches 160 degrees at least inside.
Beef Short Ribs Recipe
Final quick tip is to sear the outsides a bit before pressure cooking. This is recommended for any type of meat really, but for sure when making any sort of meat like you see here. The purpose for this step is to seal the juices in.
If you season them at the beginning that is best too so when they brown the salt, pepper, garlic powder can really stick on the outside nicely. You can use a blend you love on beef, use what is listed below or choose one of our oxtail seasoning ideas.
Then if you follow our suggestion to make Crockpot Express ribs or Instant Pot teriyaki ribs you’ll want to scrape all of the stuck on bits of food off the bottom of the pot. Why?? If you don’t these pots can be sensitive and trigger the burn notice on the screen. When that happens all cooking with cease and you’ll be super frustrated, and have a late dinner.
- Don’t not have one of these magic pots? First of all I suggest you get one. They are pretty cheap now and you can find them under a hundred dollars.
Before this we made Crockpot ribs all the time. Another great way to cook for a LONG time to get it as tender as possible, then just broil the crispiness on at the end.
English Cut Ribs
This is for thawed or Here’s a quick step by step:
- If you have longer string of them, cut the beef English style ribs into one bone pieces.
- Season the ribs with salt and black pepper on all sides, and any other seasonings you like. Heat the electric pressure cooker using the “saute” setting until hot.
- Add the olive oil and brown the outsides in small batches until golden brown.
- Remove the ribs and keep warm.
- Add the onions and celery. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic. Deglaze the bottom of the pot by adding the beef broth and scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Add the remaining vegetables into the broth / braising liquid. Place the meat pcs. on top.
- Lay the fresh thyme over the ribs and drizzle with red wine vinegar.
- Close the lid and set the valve to “sealing.”
- Pressure cook for 50 minutes. Allow the electric pressure cooker to naturally release the pressure for 15 minutes before performing a quick release.
- Serve with mashed potatoes with the vegetables from the pot alongside + a spoonful of the sauce in the pot over that.
They should be fall off the bone tender cooked this way. I would not recommend doubling what I have listed here. If you overfill your pot it may not reach pressure and take a lot longer to get to the texture you want.
English Cut Short Ribs Korean Style
Ribs are cut already so there really isn’t any prep once it is done unless you want a second side dish. For more of a Korean barbecue flavor you can brush some of this sauce on the top when done. Either way, enjoy your tender and flavorful dish together and enjoy!
If you have leftovers, they save quite well. Just slide them into a freezer bag once cooled and put into the fridge. When you’re ready to reheat ribs, leave them on the countertop for 20ish minutes first. Then you can follow our air fryer ribs recipe, but just for 4 minutes or so to warm them again and get some crisp on the top.
It is even better if you brush bbq sauce or something on to the top and then heat so it gets baked into the top layer.
Or add a bit of water to a medium high heat pan, add meat and cover for a few minutes to steam them. Add sauce and enjoy for a second go around.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
English Cut Short Ribs
- Season the English cut short ribs with salt and black pepper on all sides. Heat the electric pressure cooker using the “saute” setting until hot. Add the olive oil and brown the short ribs in small batches until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the ribs and keep warm. To the pot add the onions and celery. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic. Deglaze the bottom of the pot by adding the beef broth and scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- To the broth, add the remaining vegetables. Place the short ribs on top. Lay the fresh thyme over the ribs and drizzle with red wine vinegar. Close the lid and set the valve to “sealing.”
- Pressure cook for 50 minutes. Allow the electric pressure cooker to naturally release the pressure for 15 minutes before performing a quick release of the remaining pressure.
- Serve meat with vegetables and a spoonful of the sauce in the pot on top.