Air fryer egg rolls are a must if you love your new kitchen appliance. Want a healthy appetizer or dinner idea? Add chicken or make it vegetarian for a yummy meal.
If you’re looking for an easy air fryer egg rolls we have it! With bagged cole slaw mix, egg roll wrappers and a 3 other items you can make this crispy air fryer recipe appetizer with no oil! (originally published 11/18, affiliate links present)
Add some shredded rotisserie chicken and it’s a hearty meal everyone in your house will love.
Air Fryer Egg Rolls
OH MY this is go good. Of course you can add any things you love. These use chicken but of course diced or ground beef works well too.
We’ve made air fryer frozen egg rolls of course too, but homemade is always better.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
Like I said, you only need a few items.
Vegetarian air fryer egg rolls
- Egg roll wrappers
- found in the refrigerated section, usually next to the produce
- Bag of cole slaw mix with carrots
- Soy sauce
- 3.5 oz. Rice noodles
I mean you can fill these babies with just about anything really. If you want meat just add 1/2 lb. of ground beef or spicy ground sausage. Saute that and then add the rest. Many times I omit the rice noodles if I don’t have them.
Do you boil or soak rice noodles?
Soak the dried rice noodles in cool or lukewarm water for 30 minutes, or until they’re limp but still firm to the touch.
Later when you cook them in the wok, they will soften more. Drain the noodles thoroughly in a colander and set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Ginger paste
- Olive oil
- Could add shredded rotisserie chicken into the mix
- or precook ground pork and add that too
You’ll need a wok or large pan to heat your items together so the flavors really meld together.
After that is done you need to make your little homemade egg roll “packages”.
How do you wrap an egg roll?
You will probably get a different answer depending on whom you ask. Here are the two different ways I’ve done it.
- Lay out one egg roll wrapper with a corner pointed toward you
- Place the mixture in the middle
- Use finger to spread a little bit of water along the edge
- Fold two opposite corners together to make a triangle
- Then fold the sides in and roll the egg roll tightly
Method 2 seen here
- Position egg roll wrapper as you see here with filling in the center of the wrapper
- Fold the bottom point up and across the filling
- Then fold sides in and on top of one another
- Use finger to put water on top edges that haven’t been folded in yet
- Fold top pointed edge over and around the whole egg rolls
Water on edges will seal it closed with just your finger needed.
Egg Rolls in Air Fryer
Then it is time to use your air fryer to get your spring rolls crispy on the outside.
Unlike our pizza egg rolls that were fried in oil, these are much healthier. I like the taste even better out of the air fryer basket, even though they’re better for me.
This is how you cook egg rolls with this method:
- I have preheated my air fryer when I remember, if not they just take an extra minute or so
- Place the rolls in the basket, not overlapping
- After 5-8 minutes, flipping halfway through they will be golden brown and just like deep fried
- There is more detailed information at the bottom of this post.
Serve with sweet and sour sauce with a sprinkle of green onions and you’re set!
Ninja Foodi Egg Rolls
Looking for more air fryer dinner recipes?
- These Air fryer pork chops wrapped with bacon are great
- Our air fryer hot dogs or chili dogs are a family fave
- Air fried steak wrapped with bacon and air fryer won tons are amazing
You can make frozen egg rolls in air fryer as well. These make an easy after school snack my tweens can make themselves.
I haven’t tried our cherry cheesecake egg rolls in the air fryer yet but I bet they’ll be fabulous.
Time needed: 20 minutes.
Air Fryer Egg Rolls
Over high heat, bring 4 quarts water to a rolling boil. Add packaged rice noodles and stir to separate. Cook until barely tender for about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain.
In a bowl mix the already tender rice noodles, cabbage, carrots, onions and soy sauce.
Over medium high heat cook your cabbage mix, ginger paste, toss to combine. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add chopped up precooked chicken now if you want.
If using a Ninja Foodi you can do all this using saute mode.
Lay one egg roll wrapper out on a cutting board and spoon some cooked mixture into the middle of the wrapper.
Put a bit of water on the outside edges of the wrapper. Fold the sides in like folding an envelope, then roll up.
Add a swipe of water again to the very end piece so it holds everything together.
Spray egg rolls with olive oil spray and put into air fryer basket.
Set to 375 degrees and air crisp for 5-8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Remove once outsides are as crispy as you’d like them to be.
Remove from heat and serve with dipping sauces like sesame oil or soy sauce.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Over high heat, bring 4 quarts water to a rolling boil. Add packaged rice noodles and stir to separate. Cook until barely tender for about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain. In a bowl mix the already tender rice noodles, cabbage, carrots, onions and soy sauce together.
- On the stovetop cook your cabbage mix on medium heat, add your ginger paste and toss to combine. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add diced precooked chicken now if you want. (if using a Ninja Foodi you can do all this on saute mode)
- Lay one egg roll wrapper out on a cutting board and spoon some cole slaw mixture into the middle of the wrapper.
- Brush the outside of the wrapper with water and fold the sides in like folding an envelope, then roll up.
- May need to add a swipe of water again to end piece so it securely holds together.
- Spray egg rolls with olive oil spray and put into air fryer basket.
- Set to 375 degrees and air crisp for 5-8 minutes, flipping halfway through until outsides are as crispy as you'd like them.