We have a printable RV camping checklist here to make sure your car is prepped before you leave, and you don’t forget any must have items at home either! We have a reference to make a lot of easy RV meals too so you’ll be set with all the things.
Does your family love to too? We share tips on our road trip blog. This printable RV camping checklist is our latest creation. Special thanks goes out to Gumout® for sponsoring this post. 😉 (originally published 8/19, affiliate links present)
RV Checklist for Camping
It is always a bit overwhelming when you’re planning a long trip in your motor home or travel trailer. Trying to remember every little thing is hard, especially when you have a few kids tagging along. We hope this helps!
- We have a surprise to share with you!
This year after we tuck my oldest into her college dorm room, the 4 of us will travel in our RV for the majority of 2019/2020! That’s right! It’s been a dream of ours to take off and work while we travel. Needless to say there are A LOT of preparations that need to be made in order for this to be a success.
RV Camping Checklist PDF
Then we needed to make sure
- Kids were enrolled in an online Charter School
- Truck was in tip top shape and got the best gas mileage possible while towing this beauty
- RV was packed with everything we’d need to live comfortably in it for up to a month at a time
I don’t know about you but I like to be super organized and take advantage of travel hacks when we plan a trip. Especially when you’re living in tight quarters everything has its place, and if you forget something there isn’t always a store around to replace it.
Making sure your vehicle is prepared is probably the MOST important because if it has issues you aren’t going anywhere! Eeeek. Here’s how we’re preparing for our first trip together, needless to say we are beyond excited to start this journey.
RV Checklist for Beginners
Then let’s talk about a few RV camping checklist items I included:
- Let’s start with your vehicle. A few things are obvious like getting an oil change if necessary, checking your tire pressure, and refilling your windshield wiper fluid.
- Something you may not have thought about before, but should, is using a bottle of fuel system cleaner.
- Because it helps improve performance and fuel economy in one fill-up + helps reduce emissions
- Helps fight ethanol and water corrosion + helps reduce friction and water
Improving gas mileage is HUGE when you’re traveling 1,000+ miles each way and every penny counts right??!! It’s SO easy to do too!
I suggest that everyone brings a pressure cooker! It is the only way I cook meals, unless we’re just eating sandwiches. Works a lot better than the oven, and one pot meals lend to an easier cleanup too.
Well, they’re on our free printable RV checklist here. It includes items for your car, sleeping, bathing, and cooking.
You just add the entire bottle to a nearly empty gasoline tank, ideally at time of oil change. Then refill your gas tank with up to 25 gallons of gasoline. It’s best to wait until your tank is near empty to do this.
Repeat this every 3,000 miles for optimal results. This can be used with all unleaded, oxygenated, and reformulated gasolines.
RV Essentials Checklist
Then of course check your RV itself to ensure that the:
- Tire pressure is right
- Propane tanks are filled
- Leveling blocks are packed
- Hose for your black tank is in working order
- Having a box of disposable gloves for this task is handy to have in your storage container too
You can see here how it’s added, super easy to do really.
- You can make these easy foil packet meals.
- My girls are WAY beyond needing baby wipes at this age but they are SO helpful for dirty hands, and wiping down countertops in a jiffy.
- Don’t assume your trip will not have issues = always have jumper cables with you. If not for you, you may encounter another traveler that needs a bit of assistance.
- Duct tape can fix almost anything when you’re in dire straights.
- And allergy medication is important to have just in case someone has an allergic reaction to a bite, and you’re in the middle of nowhere.
SO let’s recap all the info from our RV camping trip post shall we!
Time needed: 3 minutes.
- Print RV Checklist
First we created this printable rv essentials checklist that you too can download and use when preparing for your next trip. (you’re welcome)
- Prepare your car
Then focus on the maintenance on your car. Add fuel system cleaner to an almost empty tank before you leave, and take one with you to use along the way.
Bring all clothing, a first aid kit, and items your car will need along the way in case of emergencies.
Gas additives will help with your gas mileage too! Every penny counts when you’re traveling a LONG way!
- They have 3 different types, we use the All-In-One
- There is also Gumout® Complete
- As well as Gumout® High Mileage for cars with (just like it says) a lot of miles on it
Where are you headed to next on your next RV trip?? We’ll be sure to share our adventures along the way so follow along! 😉
Tuesday 2nd of March 2021
Love to see your RV travel list for first time RV’ers
The Typical Mom
Wednesday 3rd of March 2021
camping schliessen spanien
Monday 18th of November 2019
Sie wirklich tatsächlich machen es scheint erscheinen so leicht zusammen mit Ihrer Präsentation aber Angelegenheit zu sein wirklich eine Sache, die , dass ich denke, Ich würde nie keineswegs zu verstehen. Es Art von Gefühl kompliziert und sehr umfangreiche für mich. Ich bin ein Blick nach vorn in Ihre nachfolgenden Put- , Ich werde versuchen, Versuch, erhalten die klammern davon! camping schliessen spanien https://www.latorredelsol.com/de/camping-schliessen-port-aventura-spanien
Monday 28th of October 2019
Hey, there s no food on this list! ?? We ve been known to forget that. I keep a detailed list on my computer with about 7 blank spaces for extra needs, complete with a check box by each line, and print it out each time before a camping trip. It has proved invaluable to me, especially as I get older! I ve been camping with my parents (and also as a parent) since birth, plus I was a den mom for scouts. Camping fishing hiking and all the activities that go along with it, and it s most fun (and most exhausting) with kids we have 7 of them. Now my kids are grown and some have kids of their own, and we re about to go on a weekend camping trip next month so I gave them the link to your site (which my husband had shared with me). Good job! ??
Tuesday 1st of October 2019
Don't know your travel plans, but would love to get a chance to visit in Texas (Atascocita, Houston, Humble, Kingwood). If you're in the area, you might enjoy visiting Tomball (less than 30 minutes from Humble) for a special event: German Christmas Market & Festival Railroad Depot, Tomball, TX Dec 13-15, 2019
German Christmas Market & Festival showcases products like selling German Christmas items, arts, and crafts, including traditional German food and drink, Glühwein, beer, Christmas Stollen & Homemade Breads, Bratwurst, red cabbage, sauerkraut, apple strudel, etc.
No matter your plans, have a safe "vacation" (but keep up the blog!